CPJ Extension Details

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul Johnson has won 53.3% of his FBS games over the past five years. He gets a contract extension and a raise to $3 million/year.

Chan Gailey won 53.9% of his FBS games over his last five years. He made about $1.1 million/year, and was fired.
What happens when you remove 2 of Chans best seasons?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
and lets not forget where cpj is taking our academics.

15 of 16 grad last year
highest gpa for fb team in the last 10 years.

maybe im wrong but wasnt chan's philosophy to treat the players like they were in the nfl? ask reggie ball how well that worked!

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson has won 53.3% of his FBS games over the past five years. He gets a contract extension and a raise to $3 million/year.

Chan Gailey won 53.9% of his FBS games over his last five years. He made about $1.1 million/year, and was fired.

Mark it down: If he is hired at GT, Paul Johnson will never beat UGa as long a Richt is HC at UGa.

Mark it down.

Let me know when I can stop marking stuff down.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I was told that CPJ got what he wanted...and I know going into the talks he wasn't going to take a deal unless he thought he could win a National Championship before he retired.

This is great to hear! Many times we as fans focus on winning 8+ games, the ACC Championship and beating UGA. CPJ's 'shoot for the moon' attitude can ensure we accomplish everything.

IMO, the key to accomplishing this is attracting quality defensive players for the front seven. Beefing up the recruiting early on will help in identifying quality players that can also succeed academically at GT. This is what I hope the new deal will help with.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I would like to see the Institute to do everything it could to keep players eligible. Just think how good we could be with the players we have lost to academics in the past couple of years.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Let me know when I can stop marking stuff down.
stock-photo-hand-holding-dagger-18685585.jpg

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes...
But per previous requests can't just copy an paste the article that is behind the pay wall.

Contract will average $3.02MM. The assistant-coach salary pool is not a part of the contract.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Personally, I would like to see the Institute to do everything it could to keep players eligible. Just think how good we could be with the players we have lost to academics in the past couple of years.

We do everything we legally can at this point.

If you're failing classes then you are basically choosing to.

We really haven't lost a ton to academics.