CPJ Extension Details

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
uhhh....I like Ken S. but this article is bare bones barely worth the read. What about assistant coach salary / compensation?

Yea, you've got to wonder what other components of the deal were sticking points. I'm assuming, as has been reported here and in other places, that the big issues were the "extras". I'd be willing to bet that CPJ gave up more on the late term buyout to give back more to support staff. That is pure speculation on my part but there is no other way to describe that deal in my opinion. CPJ was sitting on lots of cards and the details of his compensation aren't that much better for him in fact its quite generous to Tech.

I love it. Everyone is happy. Bobinski avoids the knee jerk contract, CPJ went in fairly altruistic, and Tech as a program comes out in a better position near, mid, and long term. CPJ will retire here.

Greenjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
upload_2014-12-19_17-12-25.png

Instead of piling on the accolades for Bobinski, maybe admit that for Paul Johnson its not about the money and he has a special appreciation for Georgia Tech. Personally, if I were in his shoes, I would be pissed about making less than Petrino and Swinney. Please explain what they have done relative to Johnson to merit that compensation ? I heap the praise on Johnson not Bobinski. He is much more humble than I would be

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Instead of piling on the accolades for Bobinski, maybe admit that for Paul Johnson its not about the money and he has a special appreciation for Georgia Tech. Personally, if I were in his shoes, I would be pissed about making less than Petrino and Swinney. Please explain what they have done relative to Johnson to merit that compensation ? I heap the praise on Johnson not Bobinski. He is much more humble than I would be
I don't want to derail the thread, but Petrino and Swinney have better market value, hence their better pays. I don't agree with it, and I would rather have CPJ, but it is what it is. Other ADs' and fans' misperception is our gain, it actually helps us keep CPJ here at a reasonable pay...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson has won 53.3% of his FBS games over the past five years. He gets a contract extension and a raise to $3 million/year.

Chan Gailey won 53.9% of his FBS games over his last five years. He made about $1.1 million/year, and was fired.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul Johnson has won 53.3% of his FBS games over the past five years. He gets a contract extension and a raise to $3 million/year.

Chan Gailey won 53.9% of his FBS games over his last five years. He made about $1.1 million/year, and was fired.
how did they do against their rivals? How about ACCCG appearances and wins?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

CPJ is a 3 time ACC coach of the year. How many times did Chan win it? And I wasn't even a CanChan guy.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 703

Why not both? I think everyone here wanted cpj extended and for bobinski to "get the deal done". CPJ will be long dead and Georgia Tech will still be here. It's MBob's job to ensure that Tech gets their man and on the best terms possible. On the flip side, I do think CPJ was altruistic and he's clearly not in it for the money anymore and that's commendable on his part. I think its clear CPJ cares lots for Tech and his staff. He got what he wanted, Tech got what it wanted, and the fans and alumni got what they wanted. It's all good.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Petrino and Swinney have better market value,
o_O

Petrino is lucky to be employed. Swinney will be dumped by Clemson in a few years unless he replaces the coordinators he is losing and no one will pick him up.

I don't think the market value argument is valid at all. I bet SMU would be more than willing to match what we are paying, other than the fact thatCPJ has turned them down for less money already.

I don't know what Pitt's budget is, but I bet they would be willing to pay as much as they can afford to get him. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if VPI wouldn't be willing to take him off our hands considering th mess that is the future of their FB program.

The only teams which would probably shy away from him are the major teams such as Michigan (because they can wi through traditional means) but even amongst them, Nebraska would potentially be willing ton lol the dice.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It looks like both sides did a good job getting this done. It's going to be interesting to see more of the nuts and bolts of the deal but, on the surface, it looks like a win/win and that's never a bad thing!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Per CPJ's words he likes the fact that at GT he is able to coach a different type player than he could elsewhere. He compares them favorably to the Navy players.

Once in my career I made a decision to forgo money for the pleasure of the job. Best job decision I ever made. I spent the latter years of my career as a very happy man.
I suspect this is a big part of Johnson's decisions on coaching at GT. It is an old cliche, but there are things more important than money.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow

Johnson schedules pretty tough FCS opponents. I don't think batting %100 against the FCS is easy unless you schedule generic patsies. I personally think Wofford would win the MAC, just like GaSo won the Sun Belt in their first year up.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

How many 10 win seasons did chan have? Record against uga? Let me tell you how much chan gailey sucks. His alma mater is Florida and they never even considered hiring him as a head coach