CPJ calls out GT's facilities

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Most of those upgrades were financed on credit though.

I know we like to throw around the 1 in 6 graduates are millionaires narrative, but I don't ever recall seeing anything to back this up. Maybe 1:6 will make a million dollars in their lifetime, which isn't actually that much even if you neglect inflation.

with interest rates as low as they are EVERY school does capital upgrades on credit. You still need good fiscal backing to warrant the loan. You can't just go get a million dollar loan for a house when you make 40k a year.

Bottom line is the 1 in 6 millionaires donate to Roll Call. Which is VERY healthy.

Just so everyone is aware; the school will not let the GTAA access the roll call lists, or piggy back on roll call to help donations. They totally separate it and don't want anything to do with the GTAA. This is fact, when I fundraised for the AA this was a sore spot on their side. Again, the school can do more to help the AA

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I hate those academic snobs that call themselves the Alumni Association. At one time I had my name on their Founder's Wall due to having my Will written to give my entire estate to GT. I got so mad at the way they treat GTAA, that I rewrote the will to leave them $0.00. I give them $25 a year for Roll Call just to keep my points in the football ticket priority. Some heads need to roll on the Hill.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Weight room got a upgrade but still not on par with the big boys. Locker room not updated since the 90s!?!? Inexcusable. This stuff has 1000x more impact on recruiting than who provides our damn unis.

And yeah....this just further reinforced my opinion that MBOB sucks, isn't providing the athletics programs what we need, and will likely cover his own *** with firings rather than provide the labor to build us up.

MBob doing the biding of idiot Peterson and the HillNerds.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I hate those academic snobs that call themselves the Alumni Association. At one time I had my name on their Founder's Wall due to having my Will written to give my entire estate to GT. I got so mad at the way they treat GTAA, that I rewrote the will to leave them $0.00. I give them $25 a year for Roll Call just to keep my points in the football ticket priority. Some heads need to roll on the Hill.

Heaven forbid those people should ever come up with a way to make these donations mutually beneficial.

You are not the first person I know, or have heard, that took GT out of their estate planning due to this issue.

It would appear, that if enough do it, the tards might actually listen.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I know this is a small thing but Saturday when we went down for Fan Day, someone had to call a person they knew to get the gates opened so we could park at Peters.

Think this is just a misunderstanding. On weekends, you're supposed to remove the gate yourself. Pretty easy to break off. Though I'm a little disappointed a frat guy hadn't removed it yet. kids these days...no respect

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
It would be awesome if GT could find a way to renovate bobby dodd stadium into a multi-use facility. Hear me out. and allow me to take for granted the up-front costs & perhaps even architectural feasibility (as the M-train taught me, we can always hire people to figure these things out).

Instead of having sky-boxes (bad food, bad seats, very pricey), why don't we replace them with offices? yes, actual business offices. you could host ATDC companies. You could have law-firms sponsors office space for early stage companies. (similar to atlanta tech village). You could have big corporations, coke, delta, etc. have offices. each office could have a sign above it, facing the field (promotion). and each office would be allowed to use the box for the games, obviously, as well as concerts.

You basically turn bobby dodd into a venue that generates revenue every day, rather than on only 10 days. You also have more money to support renovations for better food (open up bobby dodd restaurants to the public during the non-game days, why not??). better bathrooms. better facilities (reserve the weight room for GT athletics, except for certain limited times where building employees can use it. you could keep people off the field during non-games, but you also have a cool video board that you could use for movie nights or academic conferences, whatever.

It's not a terrible idea. Companies are moving to inner-cities and co-locating near universities, especially GT, where we have super advanced computing and internet infrastructure, world class researchers, and the cheapest educated labor you can buy (interns). Moreover, i worked in biglaw for a few years. the head of our global admin department talked about the future of office buildings. law firms don't need massive office space anymore, mainly because law firms are leaner and store documents digitally now (surprisingly recent development). the current model of prime real estate + huge offices + naming rights on towers is going to go way really fast. it's one of the biggest fixed costs & clients don't care about it anymore. that said, this might open a new, untapped marketing channel. i know some big law firms sponsor office space at tech incubators around the country. it's good name recognition and they build relationships with early-stage companies who may become huge clients in a few years. low risk, high reward. GT could be this on steroids, especially with the other projects we have in works + partnership with emory. Tech + health care = U.S. economy.

There's a lot of corporate & private wealth in atlanta. let's use it. There's a lot of economic potential at GT. let's capitalize on it. Bobby Dodd is in a great location on the campus of one of the best tech universities in the world. . . why not maximize its value?

I'm just so tired of doing things the way they've always been done. i could give a **** about clemson's wiffle ball court. it actually makes me a little less patriotic everytime i hear something like this b/c i want to know what ****head donated 10 million to build that. everything i've written may sound radical or looney toons, but, would you admit that it's technically possible? And at GT, if something is possible + better, isn't it in our ethos to build it??

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Hey if you are looking for a place to leave your entire estate, I'll take [emoji41]. I love GT and promise to use (most of) the money to help lead our football and basketball teams to global domination.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We got a completely new locker room in 2001 or 2002. I know that. I'm not sure if it has been redone any since then, but I imagine it has received several touch-ups.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I think the money thing plays a big role... I don't want them to be cheap, but I also don't want the department to spiral into overwhelmind debt either.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Most of those upgrades were financed on credit though.

I know we like to throw around the 1 in 6 graduates are millionaires narrative, but I don't ever recall seeing anything to back this up. Maybe 1:6 will make a million dollars in their lifetime, which isn't actually that much even if you neglect inflation.

I have seen the data and 1 in 6 have Net Worth of over $1MM. Which frankly isn't all that impressive anyway (given housing values) BUT the data was old...my guess is that it is much higher these days than 1 in 6.

how is that possible when we redid the locker room as part of BDS renovation....or is this referring to the weight room locker room?

we have money to make more improvements. The school doesn't help the AA like other places either. That is just simply a philosophy of GT.

Lets take a step back and look at reality in the past 10 years or so:

BDS expansion, locker room redo, players lounge
Indoor practice facility (partially funded by donation)
team meeting room is ridiculously nice, the falcons isn't that nice
minor weight room upgrade
New basketball arena (partial donation)
new track/tennis center
new softball field
baseball field update/renovations
new basketball practice gym

for a place with no money that is surely alot going on? I mean, where I come from when you say you have no money to do anything for the past decade like we have...then nothing gets done. So what gives? Simple. We flat out love to look poor to our fanbase. We love it. We are a whiney ***** school.

I think the issue is "GT has no money for bowling alleys, theaters, waterfall masseuse lounges etc" and that would be true. Because GT doesn't want to cross that line for athletics. And that is pauls point. We will never do that or have the money for that. Talk to the guy in person. Its not the meat and potatoes...he is referring to the ridiculous arms race that is becoming football facilities

GT DOES have the money to hire more program assistants and it should....our budget is 2x what it was just a few years ago. So lets be totally real here, we can do more, and its not all on Bob. Part of this is on the school and the board and freeing up funds to help athletics even more...But to add 300k to the budget to hire 2-3 more admins...we can float that...
This could be CPJ's way of lobbying for diminished expectations from the fan base.