Cox Signed by Colts?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And my response to you is that Kallon was a soccer player prior to playing 1 year of football, which takes tremendous athleticism. My point is you have no basis for minimizing Kallon's athleticism. If you want to compare him to someone else who played two sports, fine. But there is no data [at all] to support your premise that Cox is more athletic than Kallon. There are just no common data points to compare.

So you equate a guy who "played soccer" which we don't know if it was organized or just pick up soccer in High School, to a guy to who played one sport at the highest level in college, and got signed on that athletic ability to the highest level in a professional league in ANOTHER sport as being somehow equal? OK...if you say so...

BTW...if you read what I wrote, I never minimized Kallon's ability, in fact I complemented it. Like I said, it's just my opinion that Cox is the more athletic of the two.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sorry but its insane to say one player is more athletic than the other based on basketball vs football tape. Athleticism is like IQ, it has many dimensions and is not easily defined. In addition, technique and the natural adoption of good technique is a factor of athleticism as well. At the D1 and pro sports level, athleticism is a just table stakes. Without technique all the athletic talent in the world won't help you. For example, baseball requires a decent base amount of athleticism but requires a s### load of technique. No matter how athletic you are, if you can't field or if more importantly, you can't read and predict the movement of a pitch, it doesn't matter. The same thing applies to football, athleticism is just table stakes. Any sort of measuring contest doesn't matter, but it matters more how you apply that athleticism. STOP saying someone is more athletic than another here, it takes a CPJ level of savant talent to even evaluate if you think you can make a starter out of someone,

People really don't appreciate the skill in terms of technique and the athleticism when it comes to certain talents(can Gurley hit a pitch? I don't know, but his football agility and vision is world class. Chubb, I don't see it as much, his line makes up 95%). Even the best coaches don't always figure it out. If they did, Saban would have a hell of a lot more draftees. If anyone has a good eye and development skills, it's Jimbo Fisher, based on the latest draft. Or maybe he just got lucky the past few seasons. Can't actually tell. Stop making stupid assertions based on watching tape of different sports.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but its insane to say one player is more athletic than the other based on basketball vs football tape. Athleticism is like IQ, it has many dimensions and is not easily defined. In addition, technique and the natural adoption of good technique is a factor of athleticism as well. At the D1 and pro sports level, athleticism is a just table stakes. Without technique all the athletic talent in the world won't help you. For example, baseball requires a decent base amount of athleticism but requires a s### load of technique. No matter how athletic you are, if you can't field or if more importantly, you can't read and predict the movement of a pitch, it doesn't matter. The same thing applies to football, athleticism is just table stakes. Any sort of measuring contest doesn't matter, but it matters more how you apply that athleticism. STOP saying someone is more athletic than another here, it takes a CPJ level of savant talent to even evaluate if you think you can make a starter out of someone,

People really don't appreciate the skill in terms of technique and the athleticism when it comes to certain talents(can Gurley hit a pitch? I don't know, but his football agility and vision is world class. Chubb, I don't see it as much, his line makes up 95%). Even the best coaches don't always figure it out. If they did, Saban would have a hell of a lot more draftees. If anyone has a good eye and development skills, it's Jimbo Fisher, based on the latest draft. Or maybe he just got lucky the past few seasons. Can't actually tell. Stop making stupid assertions based on watching tape of different sports.
I agree with this so much.

I remember a couple of different old TV shows that used to match professional athletes against each other in competitions outside of their sport. I remember being surprised at how well a stock car racer could compete against a sprinter in a swimming competition or how well a football player might compete against a basketball player in tennis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars#List_of_American_National_Superstars_Champions

I remember seeing another TV show as a kid in which champions of different racket sports took on each other. If you were a tennis star you could not compete against the other athletes in tennis but you had to compete in racket ball, squash, badminton, table tennis (ping-pong) and so forth. The same was true for the other stars of racket sports not being able to compete in their area of expertise. I remember the results were surprising when various athletes lined up against each other outside of their sport.

All this is to say I agree with you that trying to compare athletes from different sports is pretty difficult for the average mortal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My definition of athleticism is the ability to play multiple positions in one sport (hence the term "athlete" in football) or the ability play multiple sports...all well.

Here's another way to look at this. If you were to ask one athlete (Cox) to play the other athlete's (Kallon) sport, and vice versa...who would do better at the other athlete's sport?

Cox:
Basketball - Played in the SEC and ACC, and starter in both leagues and will probably play overseas professionally. Averaged 8.6 points and 5.8 rebounds per game in the ACC.
Football - Played one year in HS, and was questioned/encouraged by two (that we know of) Power 5 coaches (Nick Saban & CPJ) to play football. According to his Ole Miss Bio "The two-sport star was also heavily recruited in football and was rated the No. 54 offensive tackle in the nation by ESPN.com and No. 58 offensive tackle by Scout.com. Signed by the Indianaoplis Colts (since released).

Kallon:
Basketball - Played in High School. I read he was starter at one point.
Football - 4 Star recruit. Rate the #18 DE in the country in HS. Recruited by virtually every program in the SEC and ACC (among many other P5 schools). Will be a key 2 deep player on the DL on a top 15 team.

So the key question here, is if Cox had taken CPJ's offer/encouragement to play football for us would he have made the 2 deep on either the DL or OL?

On the flip side, would Kallon average 8.6 points and 5.8 rebs should he decide to play for CBG next year?

Would CPJ and Nick Saban encourage Cox to play football, and would the Colts would waste money and time on Cox if they didn't think he could contribute? No. To be rated in the top 60 of your position group by two separate recruiting services means you were a pretty darn good player in HS.

So for those who think this is a futile exercise because both play different sports...well they have very common instances from which to compare. For these guys, there are enough similar "data points" to judge athleticism of one versus the other.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My definition of athleticism is the ability to play multiple positions in one sport (hence the term "athlete" in football) or the ability play multiple sports...all well.

Here's another way to look at this. If you were to ask one athlete (Cox) to play the other athlete's (Kallon) sport, and vice versa...who would do better at the other athlete's sport?

Cox:
Basketball - Played in the SEC and ACC, and starter in both leagues and will probably play overseas professionally. Averaged 8.6 points and 5.8 rebounds per game in the ACC.
Football - Played one year in HS, and was questioned/encouraged by two (that we know of) Power 5 coaches (Nick Saban & CPJ) to play football. According to his Ole Miss Bio "The two-sport star was also heavily recruited in football and was rated the No. 54 offensive tackle in the nation by ESPN.com and No. 58 offensive tackle by Scout.com. Signed by the Indianaoplis Colts (since released).

Kallon:
Basketball - Played in High School. I read he was starter at one point.
Football - 4 Star recruit. Rate the #18 DE in the country in HS. Recruited by virtually every program in the SEC and ACC (among many other P5 schools). Will be a key 2 deep player on the DL on a top 15 team.

So the key question here, is if Cox had taken CPJ's offer/encouragement to play football for us would he have made the 2 deep on either the DL or OL?

On the flip side, would Kallon average 8.6 points and 5.8 rebs should he decide to play for CBG next year?

Would CPJ and Nick Saban encourage Cox to play football, and would the Colts would waste money and time on Cox if they didn't think he could contribute? No. To be rated in the top 60 of your position group by two separate recruiting services means you were a pretty darn good player in HS.

So for those who think this is a futile exercise because both play different sports...well they have very common instances from which to compare. For these guys, there are enough similar "data points" to judge athleticism of one versus the other.
My last comment on this subject. You're out of your mind. This is a horrible comparison. There are no comparable data points because Cox didn't play college football and Kallon didn't play college basketball. Kallon, a former rugby player (and soccer), only played for 3 months before getting full scholarship offers from 12 high major [sic] universities. He was offered on his athleticism and potential. Maybe you should have picked another example for your point, but by picking Kallon, you're original point has been well lost.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My last comment on this subject. You're out of your mind. This is a horrible comparison. There are no comparable data points because Cox didn't play college football and Kallon didn't play college basketball. Kallon, a former rugby player (and soccer), only played for 3 months before getting full scholarship offers from 12 high major [sic] universities. He was offered on his athleticism and potential. Maybe you should have picked another example for your point, but by picking Kallon, you're original point has been well lost.

There are no comparable data points? OK, if you say so. Organized football isn't a common thread between the two? Cox played 1 year of football and was rated in the top 60 at his position by two services and was recruited by multiple P5 schools and signed by a PROFESSIONAL football team.

Because I don't agree with you I've lost my mind? Way to make it personal.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
If you guys are going to have a conversation, there is a direct messaging feature on this site.

If someone wants to overanalyze what i really mean: I want them to use the direct message feature on this site.

I know we're bereft of news during this time of year but analysis of analysis of someone's thoughts on a player is too much. It's okay to disagree with someone, move on...