Cox Signed by Colts?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Demarco was cut ...
From AJC -
"
Cox cut by Colts

Former Georgia Tech center Demarco Cox, who was signed by the Indianapolis Colts in March as an undrafted free agent, was waived by the team last Thursday.

The Colts have a record of signing former basketball players and converting them into football players and hoped to turn Cox into an offensive tackle. At 6-foot-8 and 294 pounds, Cox had the frame but evidently was lacking in other areas in trying to make the rather difficult transition to professional football after not playing it – and then only for one season – since high school.

He began working out with the team in April. Professional basketball remains an option for Cox."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dude should really play defensive end. Someone that size, with his athleticism coming off the edge? Good luck OLs.

Tougher to make mistakes at offensive tackle when your job is to protect Andrew Luck...probably the most valuable franchise player in the NFL right now. I'm not putting someone who hasn't played football in 5 years, and 2 years overall, in to protect the best young QB in the game.

What he REALLY should have done was play a year for CPJ as he had a year left of eligibility for football.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Dude should really play defensive end. Someone that size, with his athleticism coming off the edge? Good luck OLs.

Tougher to make mistakes at offensive tackle when your job is to protect Andrew Luck...probably the most valuable franchise player in the NFL right now. I'm not putting someone who hasn't played football in 5 years, and 2 years overall, in to protect the best young QB in the game.

What he REALLY should have done was play a year for CPJ as he had a year left of eligibility for football.
Can't imagine he would have played all that much with only two years total of playing time. Kallon is perhaps an example. Just too much to absorb.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Can't imagine he would have played all that much with only two years total of playing time. Kallon is perhaps an example. Just too much to absorb.

Cox is far more athletic than Kallon, as he exhibited on the basketball court. The guy can move for someone his size.

Would have loved to see him as a situational pass rusher.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
just because someone looks like an athlete and talks like an athlete ...doesn't make them an athlete. Especially in the game of football.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I know u can't teach is size, because he played at a high level in high school doesn't mean he is fit for a offensive tackle. Maybe john Henderson

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Cox is far more athletic than Kallon, as he exhibited on the basketball court. The guy can move for someone his size.

Would have loved to see him as a situational pass rusher.
Not sure I agree with this assertion. Kallon can move pretty well too. Put Cox on the interior D-Line and see how mobile he is. Having stood next to Kallon, He's not a chubby 295 at all.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Umm, what? He played division one basketball at a very high level and played well. That isn't "looking" or "talking" like an athlete. That is being one.
Not sure about that. One would think a 2-sport guy was an athlete vs. a player, but a whole bunch, and I mean a whole bunch, of big guys play in college every year and go on to the pros and by no stretch would you define them as athletes. Same for football, or even baseball. They are blessed with attributes that provide an advantage in their particular sport or position, but it often does not translate. Compare this to a couple of successful NFL players -- sorry, I can't recall who, but one might be Julius Thomas -- who played basketball in college and got drafted anyway.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about that. One would think a 2-sport guy was an athlete vs. a player, but a whole bunch, and I mean a whole bunch, of big guys play in college every year and go on to the pros and by no stretch would you define them as athletes. Same for football, or even baseball. They are blessed with attributes that provide an advantage in their particular sport or position, but it often does not translate. Compare this to a couple of successful NFL players -- sorry, I can't recall who, but one might be Julius Thomas -- who played basketball in college and got drafted anyway.
Sorry, anybody who plays D1 at a high level is most definitely an athlete. There's a whole lot of big guys out there...if it was so easy more of them would be playing.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

That is by far the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in a long time. You're saying a starting basketball player in the acc isn't an athlete? That a guy who is 6'8" can run the court and move very well isn't an athlete? Have you ever played sports? Do you genuinely think the only thing these guys have is height? Do you know how many tall guys there are in the world? Do you know how many play at any given year in division one basketball.

Did you say some big guys go to the pros and they aren't athletes? Seriously?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That is by far the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in a long time. You're saying a starting basketball player in the acc isn't an athlete? That a guy who is 6'8" can run the court and move very well isn't an athlete? Have you ever played sports? Do you genuinely think the only thing these guys have is height? Do you know how many tall guys there are in the world? Do you know how many play at any given year in division one basketball.

Did you say some big guys go to the pros and they aren't athletes? Seriously?
Well, my choice of words may be bad, but what I was trying to say, badly, obviously, was that size is often a determinate of playing in basketball as well as football. The guy was a big basketball player, and it did not translate to football. And yes, a lot of big basketball players are not necessarily athletes. It does not follow that playing the sport requires what you are I or most anybody would consider an "athlete". Yep, I have played more than a bit in three sports. In all three we had players with very limited skills and at least a couple with two or three left feet. But they could play that particular position in that particular sport, though none other. In high school a memorable center with maybe a three inch leap. Lord. Except he was 6-6, about 230, and nobody moved him, ever. An athlete? No. As for a starting ACC basketball player, nope. Don't watch basketball at all. Do remember a fellow named Warren Martin who played for UNC. Seven foot or so. Started. An athlete? Laughable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I agree with this assertion. Kallon can move pretty well too. Put Cox on the interior D-Line and see how mobile he is. Having stood next to Kallon, He's not a chubby 295 at all.

Didn't say Kallon couldn't move...just saying Cox is the more athletic of the two...as others have noted Cox is a D1 basketball player in one of the top BBall leagues on the college level. If the Colts didn't think he was athletic or had potential, they would not have signed him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Didn't say Kallon couldn't move...just saying Cox is the more athletic of the two...as others have noted Cox is a D1 basketball player in one of the top BBall leagues on the college level. If the Colts didn't think he was athletic or had potential, they would not have signed him.
Not disputing Cox's athleticism, never did. Just questioning the basis for saying he's more athletic than Kallon. For a guy his size, Kallon is pretty athletic. His raw athleticism is what got him a D1-A football scholarship and in the 2-deep as a redshirt sophomore on a team that finished in the Top-10 in the nation last year, because we all know he didn't have the football skills after a spring and season of high school football.

To date, what has held him back from being a true superstar, from what I've heard and read, was his understanding of the game and the intensity necessary to win the battles. His athleticism is what has kept him in the game.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not disputing Cox's athleticism, never did. Just questioning the basis for saying he's more athletic than Kallon. For a guy his size, Kallon is pretty athletic. His raw athleticism is what got him a D1-A football scholarship and in the 2-deep as a redshirt sophomore on a team that finished in the Top-10 in the nation last year, because we all know he didn't have the football skills after a spring and season of high school football.

To date, what has held him back from being a true superstar, from what I've heard and read, was his understanding of the game and the intensity necessary to win the battles. His athleticism is what has kept him in the game.

No question Kallon is athletic...that's without a doubt. You don't play at this level without athleticism regardless of position.

But you're talking about a player, Cox, who plays a sport that's the epitome of high level athleticism. What Cox did on the basketball court requires more athleticism than what Kallon is doing on the football field. To be able to run up and down a basketball court for an extended length of time, jump and rebound, box out, shoot, manuever in traffic to find a shot while fighting off a defender requires more athleticism (IMO) than fighting off blockers and chasing the ball carrier for 7 second clips. It's not like he did it for a junior college...but a program in the best basketball conference in the nation. In fact, Cox's size and athleticism lead Nick Saban to tell him he needed to play football and that he was leaving money on table, and CPJ to post this:

You're also ignoring the fact that Cox was signed by the Colts after not even playing college football.

I'm not saying Kallon is some schlub wearing football pads...I'm just saying the degree of their athletic ability definitely favors Demarco Cox.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No question Kallon is athletic...that's without a doubt. You don't play at this level without athleticism regardless of position.

But you're talking about a player, Cox, who plays a sport that's the epitome of high level athleticism. What Cox did on the basketball court requires more athleticism than what Kallon is doing on the football field. To be able to run up and down a basketball court for an extended length of time, jump and rebound, box out, shoot, manuever in traffic to find a shot while fighting off a defender requires more athleticism (IMO) than fighting off blockers and chasing the ball carrier for 7 second clips. It's not like he did it for a junior college...but a program in the best basketball conference in the nation. In fact, Cox's size and athleticism lead Nick Saban to tell him he needed to play football and that he was leaving money on table, and CPJ to post this:

You're also ignoring the fact that Cox was signed by the Colts after not even playing college football.

I'm not saying Kallon is some schlub wearing football pads...I'm just saying the degree of their athletic ability definitely favors Demarco Cox.

And my response to you is that Kallon was a soccer player prior to playing 1 year of football, which takes tremendous athleticism. My point is you have no basis for minimizing Kallon's athleticism. If you want to compare him to someone else who played two sports, fine. But there is no data [at all] to support your premise that Cox is more athletic than Kallon. There are just no common data points to compare.