Corporate Stadium Sponsorships

I really hate this kind of thing.

It's bad enough to have to listen to and watch relentless commercials for various "corporate sponsors" during the games. Holding up the action so that some doofus can try to kick the ball through the uprights is not only boring, but it stretches the game time, already inflated to sell whatever-in-Hades they are selling on tv, even more. What used to be 2.5 hours of pretty continuous entertainment is now a four hour marathon punctuated by hucksterism.

I suppose I have to put up with the commercials since nobody will foot the bill for keeping them out (yet). But renaming our stadium, one of college football's historic venues, for a friggin' company is where the line gets drawn.

Oh, and USCw should be ashamed of themselves. LA Memorial has been the main site for two Olympic Games as well as the USC football team for a long time. Renaming it for an airline disgraces those memories. Leave crap like this to the pros.
I agree about USCw, but I don't think they really had any say-so in the matter, since they don't own the stadium. The city of LA owns it, and I guess they can name it whatever they want to.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Plus, from what I heard on the radio today, it needs major refurbishment. City of LA probably needs the cash to do it.
They were hoping to get a new stadium out of an Olympic bid to avoid having to renovate. At least that was the plan at some point

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Honest question - because I'd think about it for a bit ... but would any of you be for it if "Delta Airlines presents Historic Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field" earned us 2.5 million a year in straight cash to the AA? Money that could be used to pay off fired coaches, get more analysts and recruiting staff, and get a horde of drones and technology to help with practice and prep?

And to keep it somewhat sane, let's assume that the only partners would be "reputable" ones, e.g. Delta, Coke, etc. Not The Cheetah, Poulan Weed Wacker, or Fat Boy Groceries.

Deleted member 2897

Honest question - because I'd think about it for a bit ... but would any of you be for it if "Delta Airlines presents Historic Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field" earned us 2.5 million a year in straight cash to the AA? Money that could be used to pay off fired coaches, get more analysts and recruiting staff, and get a horde of drones and technology to help with practice and prep?

And to keep it somewhat sane, let's assume that the only partners would be "reputable" ones, e.g. Delta, Coke, etc. Not The Cheetah, Poulan Weed Wacker, or Fat Boy Groceries.

It’s a fair question. But I think some things you just don’t put a monetary value on. If the dwags want to have a Summer’s Eve Samford Stadium let them continue to chase every dollar.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer

A corporate sponsor with marketing worked into referencing name (as you suggest) might be OK but not if traditional name is totally lost.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Kind of a mouth full to add a sponsor and still keep Bobby Dodd and Grant Field in there, but if Delta or somebody was willing to pay good money for it, sure. We could use any advantage or income source that we could get as long as we don't have to completely sell our souls.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
A corporate sponsor with marketing worked into referencing name (as you suggest) might be OK but not if traditional name is totally lost.

Yeah, I'd definitely be against "The Coca-Cola University of Georgia Tech Yellowjackets Stadium".

But I'm wondering how palatable a "soft" reference would be to folks, e.g. Delta Airlines presents Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field. Especially if we get good stuff out of it.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

We have pretty much lost the traditional name - Grant Field.

If this does become a trend, who do you guys think Delta, Coke, and the other big boys would go with first - ugag or us?

And if it does become a trend, GT can not (again) maintain some elitist attitude and not play the game while schools like ugag, cu, fsu, rake in more money than they do now that we don’t.

That being said, I hope it does not happen and if so at a minimum and in a classy fashion.

Course, the easy solution is for all these millionaire, and I think somewhat ingrate alums, to start giving more money to the best PR machine the school has.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Corporate sponsorship of a facility is a pretty high profile deal. As a company, you are alligning yourself pretty closely with a particular program.

Makes me wonder if any locally based corporation would risk raising the ire of the dwag hoarde by signing such a big visible agreement with the NATS.

A broadcasting bigwig told me one time the quickest path to bankruptcy in sports broadcasting would be to be seen favoring Tech football over the dwags. I dont think the consequences are as dire in other sectors, but the same logic applies. Why go looking for negative responses?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Corporate sponsorship of a facility is a pretty high profile deal. As a company, you are alligning yourself pretty closely with a particular program.

Makes me wonder if any locally based corporation would risk raising the ire of the dwag hoarde by signing such a big visible agreement with the NATS.

A broadcasting bigwig told me one time the quickest path to bankruptcy in sports broadcasting would be to be seen favoring Tech football over the dwags. I dont think the consequences are as dire in other sectors, but the same logic applies. Why go looking for negative responses?
That broadcasting bigwig must be a sh*tty Dwag Fan:mad: