Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Well I reckon. What do they say? The reports of studies done that I've seen are quite negative. Studies have been halted because of an increased death rate. But the study of hydroxychloroquine or any other drug shouldn't be politics, it should be about the science. Science is always changing, always discovering, and should always be free of any political influence or bias.
Per GT_EE78 a few posts ago: https://academic.oup.com/aje/advance-article/doi/10.1093/aje/kwaa093/5847586

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Educate me please...why is there any argument about this?

if someone wants to take, it, shouldn't hat just be a decision between them and their doctor?

And if they don't...same thing?

Why should anyone ELSE care whether a person wants to take a specific drug or not?

What am I missing?
It's about what tests/studies have shown.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It's about what tests/studies have shown.
Who cares? Studies have shown the general results...whatever. But there also have been instances where it has worked. Not all people react to drugs the same way, and just because any given drug doesn’t work in general does not mean it won’t work in a specific case. That’s why doctors make the choice with the patient.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Who cares? Studies have shown the general results...whatever. But there also have been instances where it has worked. Not all people react to drugs the same way, and just because any given drug doesn’t work in general does not mean it won’t work in a specific case. That’s why doctors make the choice with the patient.
Might wanna read it.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
That's good to know. Two or three studies were halted, I know, due to the risk. But hopefully it could be an appropriate treatment given the patient's situation in advanced cases.
Seems that this references older patients with the usual complications that have symptoms(not advanced), taking it as outpatients to avoid the downward spiral that often happens once admitted to a hospital. Not sure how many patients were in previous halted studies or how advanced their cases were, but 300,000 seems to be a pretty decent sample size in this study.

Deleted member 2897

Brazil has about 40% the population of the United States. The last few days their daily new cases were hitting the peak rate of ours - 35,000 new cases per day. And we were testing 100,000 people a day back then (we're currently testing 500,000 people per day). I've heard Brazil health experts on the news stating they think the real number could be 10-15x that (testing limitations, etc.). They're already at 1,000 deaths per day (the peak of Italy and Spain at their worst), and with the time lag - those deaths are from when daily cases were less than half of what they are now. By the end of this week, Brazil will be second worldwide in reported COVID-19 deaths. What a total mess. They're digging mass graves all over and having to resort to stacking coffins 5 deep in them to save space.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seems that this references older patients with the usual complications that have symptoms(not advanced), taking it as outpatients to avoid the downward spiral that often happens once admitted to a hospital. Not sure how many patients were in previous halted studies or how advanced their cases were, but 300,000 seems to be a pretty decent sample size in this study.

Here's a link to a new study being done in South Dakota:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...ent-others-halted-safety-concerns/5278308002/

From the article:
"She said they are carefully choosing people for the clinical trial who don't have heart conditions and they're examining the person's medications to ensure there won't be drug interactions.

Suttle noted that other studies finding it has negative impacts on the coronavirus aren't "apples to apples" to South Dakota's study because they weren't well controlled, or were pulling data from a registry of coronavirus patients and weren't a controlled study with a placebo."

Hope this trial goes better than the others.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Educate me please...why is there any argument about this?

if someone wants to take, it, shouldn't hat just be a decision between them and their doctor?

And if they don't...same thing?

Why should anyone ELSE care whether a person wants to take a specific drug or not?

What am I missing?

... bias...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

LOL, well the "Society in Shambles" thread just got fire bombed.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
A sustained intake of anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) has shown positive results in reducing the risk of coronavirus in the healthcare workers (India Today)
A significant reduction of about 80 per cent in the odds of Covid-19 infection in the HCWs was identified with the intake of six or more doses of HCQ prophylaxis.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...us-healthcare-workers-icmr-1684112-2020-06-01
Well, it seems like the broken clock really is correct twice (2 seconds) a day. Broken clock = DT. Wonder why MSM isn't covering this?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It was time. Our society isn’t in shambles, anyway, so that was a sensational headline just like so much of this. The vast majority of people are decent and law-abiding.

I think @Milwaukee meant for the thread to highlight the stupidity of humanity chipping away at society and not what it ended up being...which was political and divisive. It was humorous to start with, then just devolved.

GT_EE78

Banned
It was time. Our society isn’t in shambles, anyway, so that was a sensational headline just like so much of this. The vast majority of people are decent and law-abiding.
You're right. most of society isn't in shambles and the majority of people are decent. It was the website's last best remaining thread.Oh well.no the thread wasn't divisive just such a broad title that most anything could fit within it. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.