Corner turned?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think you share the blame then. All moderators should be put on a 24 hour suspension. If you guys could have fought harder for them to have access to this or any other media we could have won another game this year. ;)
Man, you called me out and are right. Isn't that what always happens when you point the finger of blame to others? I think myself, @slugboy and @oreintalnc should be immediately placed on paid leave until further notice. We will consult with our attorneys and our handlers.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Man, you called me out and are right. Isn't that what always happens when you point the finger of blame to others? I think myself, @slugboy and @oreintalnc should be immediately placed on paid leave until further notice. We will consult with our attorneys and our handlers.
Don't forget about the benefit to this board if left unattended for 24 hours.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
There are probably a lot of opinions about this subject, so I am not claiming absolute truth. But, I believe the turning point in our season happened in the 3rd quarter when Carolina had 2nd & one, then 3rd & 1, then 4th and 1 in the same series and failed to gain a single yard. We took over on downs and immediately tried a TD pass that was surely a missed interference call. No matter, we scored a TD a few plays later. Our defense learned they can play with anyone. We owned a top 25 team after that series.
I think you pegged the turning point OK and a major contributing factor was our very physical play, subbing on D to stay fresh, and our quality depth overall on D. We wore them down and took over physically and as you pointed out, we gained confidence previously missing.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Possibly a Corner Turned. It was the most complete game on both sides of the ball since ... ?

- It was encouraging to see that the Clemson-game defense wasn't a fluke.
- Loved seeing the TOs generated.
- Encouraging to see the offense make improvements throughout the entire game.
- I think we're up to 6 made FGs in a row.
- We're making waaayyyyy fewer stupid penalties and mistakes this year.

I think even a close loss to Pitt would be a sign that things have perhaps turned a corner. The UNC victory was no fluke though. That was a pretty thorough *** beating that didn't hinge on a single play or bad call by the refs.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Team looked awesome, but we were +3 in turnovers and had near double digit sacks. When that happens you should win convincingly. Let’s see how we play against a team that we don’t dominate in turnover margin.

Strange - it sounds like you're a bit down that "we were +3 in turnovers and had near double digit sacks".

When that happens, esp. against a ranked team, it's a cause for optimism and positivity rather than continued reservation.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I still want to see what our offense looks like when defenses gear up to stop our run game. Can Sims pass effectively enough often enough to lead us to wins?.... But Pitt will be loaded at the LOS to stop our RPO runs (just like NIU was). And Sims couldn't loosen NIU up with passing. Let's hope he can effectively pass against future opponents.
Exactly what Pitt should and will do. They will not let Sims beat them running the ball. They have a good run D and may be able to stop us without loading the box. O line needs to come to play and backs must run mad like Dante was.

But make no mistake they will load the box if they have to and challenge us to beat them through the air. That'll keep us from playing ball control/shortening the game too much, and force us to consistently move the ball through the air.

We have to do enough on the ground to get favorable coverages and then capitalize.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Exactly what Pitt should and will do. They will not let Sims beat them running the ball. They have a good run D and may be able to stop us without loading the box. O line needs to come to play and backs must run mad like Dante was.

But make no mistake they will load the box if they have to and challenge us to beat them through the air. That'll keep us from playing ball control/shortening the game too much, and force us to consistently move the ball through the air.

We have to do enough on the ground to get favorable coverages and then capitalize.
You can still run a ball-control offense even if you're throwing on every down. Matt Ryan did it to us when he was at BC. I don't think he had a completion over 10 yards that day.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Strange - it sounds like you're a bit down that "we were +3 in turnovers and had near double digit sacks".

When that happens, esp. against a ranked team, it's a cause for optimism and positivity rather than continued reservation.
Collins has given this fan base plenty to be reserved about. The fans are not the ones who looked clueless in the red zone until the 2nd quarter of game 26. The fans aren’t the reason we lost our season opener when we were a double digit favorites.

We all hope UNC is just the beginning because we all root for GT regardless of who the players are or who the coaches are. I can promise you in 10 years I’ll be rooting for GT and I don’t have a clue who the QB or coach will be. The feeling I had waking up Sunday morning was the exact same feeling I had the morning after the FSU win last year when we all thought we had “turned the corner” then. It was a very good feeling, but short lived.

I’m rooting like heck for Collins because I love his recruiting and marketing and overall upbeat demeanor. And he’s an Atlanta guy who wants to build GT up and probably wouldn’t jump at the first chance to leave like Ross and O’Leary did. But, he has to earn our trust after what we’ve witnessed from the sidelines the past 2 years. UNC was the first game I can think of where we weren’t running subs in and out as the other team snapped the ball. We didn’t also see our QB looking at the coaches as the play clock hit single digits. Other than the blocked punt we played the cleanest game in years. I give Collins all the credit. Now, do it a few more times and every one will believe. I don’t even care about the wins or losses. We could lose Saturday and I’d be thrilled if we play clean. I have no doubt the wins will come because I’m firmly in the “recruiting” camp over “system” camp. But until last Saturday we were losing and not playing clean. I pray that we turned the corner and we will know the answer by the end of October.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

And their CBs will hold our receivers. All. Day. Long. That is the Narduzzi way.

And it's also his way to go ape when the refs throw flags for defensive holding/PI.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's wait and see if Collins can actually win more than 3 games in a season before we get all excited. We beat Kennesaw State and UNC and some on here now think we can compete against the Dwags. Lol

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

If what you expect happens we may have to go back to Yates for the short passing game and controlling the clock. I hope the coaches are in tune with their options and not just locked into their long term plan with Sims (I agree with Sims being the future but we still need to win now).

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Similar to our back & forth on what GT should do as far as size of the school is concerned, no an individual fan cannot hold CGC, Key, Thacker or Stansbury accountable. However, fans en masse vote with their feet. We had an announced attendance of 37k at MBS for what by GT standards was one our bigger game for us being played at a top venue. I’ll include only the mutt years football attendance for comparison purposes:

2019 44600
2017 46900
2015 50700
2013 49100
2011 48200
2009 51500
2007 50300
2005 51600
2003 52800

We’re going to be losing about $2M in gate revenue in the last 6 years, may end up being as much as $3 this year if we only draw 40k/game. We may be staring at losing 20% attendance over that period. We lost 4% the previous 12 years.

We’re all looking at the big donors to save us, or ACC Network, or conference realignment, ESPN TV money, etc but at the end of the day if there’s flaccid fan interest, our program is going to suffer big time. Gaining back 10k fan per game (possibly 7k of the 10k lost during CGC’s tenure) is going to be no small feat.
Atlanta sports fans and GT as well are a fickle bunch. They pretty much only love a winner. When the Falcons were winning you get a packed house. Now that they are playing bad there’s plenty of open seats. Braves usually draw good crowds because they play well and win. Same with the Hawks as of late.

If GT can get into the top 25 you will see more butts in seats. Add in a top 25 opponent and we will have some sell outs. Win and they will come. If we can get 6-7 more wins this year and people think we have a chance against UGA we will get a lot more of that red out at home.

jacketBMR

Georgia Tech Fan
This was the first game in the CGC era where I left feeling confident in our coaching staff from top to bottom. Need to see more consistency going forward but you gotta start somewhere and hopefully we see this kind of toughness, fire and execution the rest of the season.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Pitt has a good defense ? Is that based on holding U mass and New Hampshire to 7 points, or holding Tenn to 34 and Western Michigan to 41 ? With their schedule to this point I'm not sure we know much about them. Just like they don't know much about us.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Collins has given this fan base plenty to be reserved about. The fans are not the ones who looked clueless in the red zone until the 2nd quarter of game 26. The fans aren’t the reason we lost our season opener when we were a double digit favorites.

We all hope UNC is just the beginning because we all root for GT regardless of who the players are or who the coaches are. I can promise you in 10 years I’ll be rooting for GT and I don’t have a clue who the QB or coach will be. The feeling I had waking up Sunday morning was the exact same feeling I had the morning after the FSU win last year when we all thought we had “turned the corner” then. It was a very good feeling, but short lived.

I’m rooting like heck for Collins because I love his recruiting and marketing and overall upbeat demeanor. And he’s an Atlanta guy who wants to build GT up and probably wouldn’t jump at the first chance to leave like Ross and O’Leary did. But, he has to earn our trust after what we’ve witnessed from the sidelines the past 2 years. UNC was the first game I can think of where we weren’t running subs in and out as the other team snapped the ball. We didn’t also see our QB looking at the coaches as the play clock hit single digits. Other than the blocked punt we played the cleanest game in years. I give Collins all the credit. Now, do it a few more times and every one will believe. I don’t even care about the wins or losses. We could lose Saturday and I’d be thrilled if we play clean. I have no doubt the wins will come because I’m firmly in the “recruiting” camp over “system” camp. But until last Saturday we were losing and not playing clean. I pray that we turned the corner and we will know the answer by the end of October.
Meh, you're part of a very small group of GT fans that still want to complain about the coach because he does it his way and his way rubs you wrong. I get that. His way rubs me wrong too, but I just close my eyes and remember he's not saying or doing what he's doing for me. He's doing it for the kids he needs to bring in to get this program to where it needs to be. Yes, it chaps my *** when he starts in. When I have had too much, I turn him off and watch other GT football stuff. He's making mistakes and he's paid a lot of money not to. But, thing is, I think we're much better than we were last year and much, much better than the year before. I ignore what bothers me because I think he's headed where we need to go. And...the old adage "fake it till you make it" has value. Look at where it's got the "SEC"

Nothing in this should be read as aggressive or confrontational. I know it's worded poorly, but I don't want to go back and wordsmith it.

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
that means the last 2 seasons are the responsibility of both @CuseJacket and @John. I know for a fact that the entire coaching staff applied for membership here immediately upon their hiring because TStan advised them that we were a wealth of valuable but free insight but the administrative wheels turn slowly here at GTSwarm. [ My neighbor has a nephew that goes to church with TStan's financial planner's administrative assistant's fiance and that is how I found this out]. CPJ and CCG still have active accounts (their user names are confidential of course) and are still active here for the most part. Especially in the uniform and money down threads. Sadly, both were banned from the political forum but we all laugh about it now when we get together for golf and poker. ;)

Hey, @4shotB ...you said you wouldn't let people know that I was a member here. Now I've got to behave.