Corner turned?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of written checks that didn’t cash…
I hear you and am glad Collins words finally matched his teams performance. Yes, my check bounced and I‘m glad it did. Since you held me accountable please join me in holding our coach accountable when his checks bounce. That’s all I’m asking. Don’t BS me when our eyes see the truth. On to Pickett.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We haven’t seen a coach look as inept as Collins has for 2 plus years in a long time. Last night was the first time under Collins that we were substance over hype. That’s not the fan‘s fault, that was Collins writing checks he couldn’t cash. He finally had a check not bounce. I’m very happy for that. All of us hope this continues and that the ”fire” threads turn into “hope we can keep him” threads. But, regardless of wins or losses, money down is still stupid.
This must have been an incredibly painful post for you to author. You almost said something not negative about Collins. I can tell how hard the win was for you to swallow.

BTW, I personally would still prefer that we not retain the services of CDP next year and I would dearly love it if our coaching staff learned what appears to be basic clock management (even if that wasn't such a big problem last night). As for what Collins says... I really don't get why you or anyone else harps on it. He's clearly talking to players and those who are close to them. I think it's pretty obvious that recruits like that. I'd prefer that he talk to them however they can ingest his message vs incessantly whining about his press conferences not having any "substance" to them. I'm a GT fan already. He doesn't need to win me over. He needs to win over the recruits and I'd rather he spend his time doing that (and coaching better) than worrying about what I might want to hear in a press conference. But that's just me.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
CDP calls very vanilla plays on average (in my opinion). When you have superior talent, you can make any plays work. But when you have equal or less talent than your competition, your schemes make a huge difference. I think the jury still remains out. But when you want to replace someone, you need the money to do it. Our coordinators are far down Power 5 in terms of salary. So you either need to take a flyer on a non-coordinator who wants to be promoted, someone from a Group of 5 who wants to move up, or pay someone with money we don't have. It would be tons better for all of us for CDP to work out.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
CDP calls very vanilla plays on average (in my opinion). When you have superior talent, you can make any plays work. But when you have equal or less talent than your competition, your schemes make a huge difference. I think the jury still remains out. But when you want to replace someone, you need the money to do it. Our coordinators are far down Power 5 in terms of salary. So you either need to take a flyer on a non-coordinator who wants to be promoted, someone from a Group of 5 who wants to move up, or pay someone with money we don't have. It would be tons better for all of us for CDP to work out.
I agree that it's better if he works out. At this point he hasn't shown me that he will, and I've been pretty open minded and defended him at times over the last couple of years. Last night was not a bad performance by him but at the moment he hasn't shown me enough for me to feel he's going to get it done. I absolutely hope I'm wrong as he seems like a good guy and I definitely prefer continuity.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hear you and am glad Collins words finally matched his teams performance. Yes, my check bounced and I‘m glad it did. Since you held me accountable please join me in holding our coach accountable when his checks bounce. That’s all I’m asking. Don’t BS me when our eyes see the truth. On to Pickett.
You’re not holding the coach accountable. You’re complaining to a bunch of fellow fans about how you don’t like his performance and how he comports himself. You’re not in a position to hold the coach accountable. None of us are.

Besides, he’s not writing checks for you, so, fortunately or unfortunately, what you (or I) think doesn’t really matter to him.

If he gets the kids he’s trying to get, he REALLY won’t care.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
I am not going to be so euphoric about the win last night that I think we have turned a corner to being a very good team, in fact we have not begun to approach the intersection yet. I will continually evaluate after each game & at season's end. I was quite pleased watching the game last night & the team did look good LAST NIGHT. I eagerly look forward to the Pitt game to see which direction the program goes. Right now after 4 games this team has played well in one game ( last night) , played very poorly in one game (NIU) , the other 2 games we had moments where the play was good. Been a fan of GT football since around 1959 & it has been a pleasure win or lose to watch the Jackets but college football is just not as much fun to watch as it once was. A lot of that of course is due to the oversaturation of coverage nowadays, the transfer portal,NIL, ageing I suppose ,the professionalism , etc.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are probably a lot of opinions about this subject, so I am not claiming absolute truth. But, I believe the turning point in our season happened in the 3rd quarter when Carolina had 2nd & one, then 3rd & 1, then 4th and 1 in the same series and failed to gain a single yard. We took over on downs and immediately tried a TD pass that was surely a missed interference call. No matter, we scored a TD a few plays later. Our defense learned they can play with anyone. We owned a top 25 team after that series.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding turning the corner, I think the timeline is measured on the order of a couple seasons rather than a couple games. But obviously it’s great to celebrate wins like this and get excited about the program!

I was on the field before kickoff and there were a ton of high school prospects out there to watch the game. I’ll admit I wasn’t the biggest fan of giving up a game at Bobby Dodd each season but it really does make great sense for the program both financially and recruiting.

Prior to the season, I circled Pittsburgh as a good opponent to test our program. In that it’s a relatively even match up but they’ve given us fits in the recent past. It’ll be great if we can string together consecutive coastal wins. Hopefully the staff will be able to keep the players focused one game at a time and never assume a W.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There are probably a lot of opinions about this subject, so I am not claiming absolute truth. But, I believe the turning point in our season happened in the 3rd quarter when Carolina had 2nd & one, then 3rd & 1, then 4th and 1 in the same series and failed to gain a single yard. We took over on downs and immediately tried a TD pass that was surely a missed interference call. No matter, we scored a TD a few plays later. Our defense learned they can play with anyone. We owned a top 25 team after that series.
And Mack Brown learned his lesson, too. When 4th and one at just about that exact same spot on the field came up later, he punted.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You’re not holding the coach accountable. You’re complaining to a bunch of fellow fans about how you don’t like his performance and how he comports himself. You’re not in a position to hold the coach accountable. None of us are.

Besides, he’s not writing checks for you, so, fortunately or unfortunately, what you (or I) think doesn’t really matter to him.

If he gets the kids he’s trying to get, he REALLY won’t care.
Similar to our back & forth on what GT should do as far as size of the school is concerned, no an individual fan cannot hold CGC, Key, Thacker or Stansbury accountable. However, fans en masse vote with their feet. We had an announced attendance of 37k at MBS for what by GT standards was one our bigger game for us being played at a top venue. I’ll include only the mutt years football attendance for comparison purposes:

2019 44600
2017 46900
2015 50700
2013 49100
2011 48200
2009 51500
2007 50300
2005 51600
2003 52800

We’re going to be losing about $2M in gate revenue in the last 6 years, may end up being as much as $3 this year if we only draw 40k/game. We may be staring at losing 20% attendance over that period. We lost 4% the previous 12 years.

We’re all looking at the big donors to save us, or ACC Network, or conference realignment, ESPN TV money, etc but at the end of the day if there’s flaccid fan interest, our program is going to suffer big time. Gaining back 10k fan per game (possibly 7k of the 10k lost during CGC’s tenure) is going to be no small feat.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Similar to our back & forth on what GT should do as far as size of the school is concerned, no an individual fan cannot hold CGC, Key, Thacker or Stansbury accountable. However, fans en masse vote with their feet. We had an announced attendance of 37k at MBS for what by GT standards was one our bigger game for us being played at a top venue. I’ll include only the mutt years football attendance for comparison purposes:

2019 44600
2017 46900
2015 50700
2013 49100
2011 48200
2009 51500
2007 50300
2005 51600
2003 52800

We’re going to be losing about $2M in gate revenue in the last 6 years, may end up being as much as $3 this year if we only draw 40k/game. We may be staring at losing 20% attendance over that period. We lost 4% the previous 12 years.

We’re all looking at the big donors to save us, or ACC Network, or conference realignment, ESPN TV money, etc but at the end of the day if there’s flaccid fan interest, our program is going to suffer big time. Gaining back 10k fan per game (possibly 7k of the 10k lost during CGC’s tenure) is going to be no small feat.
I agree, fans vote with their feet en masse. Look at Hewitt.

Personally, I don't think that's voting on anything. I think that's more about our current state of health affairs and the continued split in our population. I think if we weren't in the middle of a Delta spike, the attendance would have been higher, probably much higher. If we weren't dealing with any type of Covid, I'd say we would have packed much of MBS. Just my opinion.

By the way, on the other topic, I'm still just trying to understand what you're trying to convey, not disagreeing with you.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure if we have turned the corner, but it looks like the possibility is there. And on a night when we have 100 recruits watching in a big time game I can't think of a better time to show out. It looks to me like the NIL beating worked. That loss was on the coaches and they finally listened to what this board has said. The coaches are the most improved on the team and that is what we needed. They are putting the team in a position to win. The team did their part.

So to answer the OP I am not sure if we have turned, but I can at least see the corner now. That excites me.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
^^^ very true. It was great to see a defense that didn't break! It was also great to see a defense that got into the backfield and harassed the QB. These guys are passing the eyeball test!

It also means something when we can overcome some horrendous non-calls. Great determination, grit, and mindset.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well, I guess the test will be if we lose another game that it looked like we should've won, do we have a bunch more fire the coach threads, money down polls, he dresses funny threads, he talks funny threads.

You should really let that stuff go. If those kinds of threads bother you that much, then an online message board is going to cause your stress levels to skyrocket.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't think we have turned the corner. When we lost to NIU it was the end of the world. When beat UNC we have arrived. It's never as good or bad as it seems.

It's also a process and we are still quite young overall. I expect more inconsistency, two steps forward/one step back, etc. But I do believe we are seeing our team grow up.

Agreed. While the possibility of us winning 5-6 more games this year exists, I wouldn't call it probable just yet. I do expect there to be some inconsistency as we mature as a team. We are making great strides though, and we look like we belong on the field. That's major progress in year 3.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
You should really let that stuff go. If those kinds of threads bother you that much, then an online message board is going to cause your stress levels to skyrocket.

as stated, I think that will be when we've turned the corner. We will likely be playing good football well before that, with this staff or another.

If you think about it, there is a lot that goes into some of that stuff going away, mostly that things are going well so folks don't feel compelled to being posting that stuff.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That loss was on the coaches and they finally listened to what this board has said.
that means the last 2 seasons are the responsibility of both @CuseJacket and @John. I know for a fact that the entire coaching staff applied for membership here immediately upon their hiring because TStan advised them that we were a wealth of valuable but free insight but the administrative wheels turn slowly here at GTSwarm. [ My neighbor has a nephew that goes to church with TStan's financial planner's administrative assistant's fiance and that is how I found this out]. CPJ and CCG still have active accounts (their user names are confidential of course) and are still active here for the most part. Especially in the uniform and money down threads. Sadly, both were banned from the political forum but we all laugh about it now when we get together for golf and poker. ;)

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
that means the last 2 seasons are the responsibility of both @CuseJacket and @John. I know for a fact that the entire coaching staff applied for membership here immediately upon their hiring because TStan advised them that we were a wealth of valuable but free insight but the administrative wheels turn slowly here at GTSwarm. [ My neighbor has a nephew that goes to church with TStan's financial planner's administrative assistant's fiance and that is how I found this out]. CPJ and CCG still have active accounts (their user names are confidential of course) and are still active here for the most part. Especially in the uniform and money down threads. Sadly, both were banned from the political forum but we all laugh about it now when we get together for golf and poker. ;)

GIFs2019101221247.gif

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Well, I guess the test will be if we lose another game that it looked like we should've won, do we have a bunch more fire the coach threads, money down polls, he dresses funny threads, he talks funny threads.

When we can win or lose without all of that BS, regardless of the coach, then we've turned the corner.

I know there were people that did it when CPJ's team lost too. Quiet on wins, pile on in losses. IIWII

Don’t see how any of that has to do with winning or losing. There are plenty of pro- Collins folks who miss the classic third down call. And as far as dressing and talking funny…I make fun of my dad’s style and still love him. Those jokes will still come even if we win a national championship. Who cares lol

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

I think you share the blame then. All moderators should be put on a 24 hour suspension. If you guys could have fought harder for them to have access to this or any other media we could have won another game this year. ;)