Corner turned?

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The accumulation of talent is beginning to show now, IMO. CGC has been recruiting well and the product on the field is bearing the fruit of those efforts. Especially on the defensive side. It has been years since I've seen a GT defense terrorize a QB like that! We're passing the eye ball test (at least for my ignorant opinions).

I don't know that we can definitively say that we've turned a corner while we’re in the moment. IMO, it's more about maintaining this positive trajectory. If we go out next week and poop the bed, it's not as if the past weeks performances will be erased.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Hell yeah I did. But in football there are many one-hit wonder games and hype machines. I want to see us roll the coastal dumpster fires before I go all nutty.
Glad you enjoyed it. As I said, I am not trying to tell you we have turned the a corner. I think we agree that it’s impossible to know what the rest of the season holds. But I think it’s entirely appropriate to go all nutty over this one game result as it pertains JUST to this game and not be proclaiming it’s the beginning of a big run.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No one will overlook this team now. They know we can make plays and are physical. That NIU coach saying they were more physical than us may have challenged our guys manhood.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We won't know until we see how the rest of the year plays out. Is our defense going to be getting good pressure all year? If so then you could say this was that turn the corner game. Is Sims going to play at a near all conference level going forward? If so. Same.
Here’s what I’m looking for. Does the team hang in there when games are tough? Even Alabama has off games, same for Notre Dame, Georgia and every other team. So we probably won’t always get 8 sacks nor is Sims always going to break open three runs for TDs. But can we still find a way to win?

I think this team is showing all the earmarks of a team that is learning how to win. My preseason prediction of 7 wins is looking better and better to me.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, I guess the test will be if we lose another game that it looked like we should've won, do we have a bunch more fire the coach threads, money down polls, he dresses funny threads, he talks funny threads.

When we can win or lose without all of that BS, regardless of the coach, then we've turned the corner.

I know there were people that did it when CPJ's team lost too. Quiet on wins, pile on in losses. IIWII

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we have turned the corner. When we lost to NIU it was the end of the world. When beat UNC we have arrived. It's never as good or bad as it seems.

It's also a process and we are still quite young overall. I expect more inconsistency, two steps forward/one step back, etc. But I do believe we are seeing our team grow up.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know if we’ll be able to determine that until the end of the season, but it sure seems like it at the moment. Other than UGA and perhaps Notre Dame, every game seems winnable now. Funny how three weeks can change one’s outlook. I thought we’d be lucky to beat Duke two weeks ago.
I think ND is sort of a paper Tiger. The final score of the Wisconsin game isn’t an indicator of how close it was. Closing out the game with back to back pick 6s inflated the score. They needed OT to beat a terrible FSU team , barely scraped by Toledo, and couldn’t pull away from a Purdue team who lost their star RB and main offensive weapon the week before. To me this is their run to the national title game where they got stomped by bama and finally exposed. That year they barely beat so many teams. Literally the luck of the Irish all year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We are a growing, getting better is usually not a straight line, Narduzzi (sp?) will defend us and Jeff Sims better than UNC, he's a good defensive coach. I'll also be interested in the upcoming line for this week.
That’s what we thought about UNC. The much better QB was going to shred us & UNC’s D was going to be pretty stingy. Neither happened.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
But the boys made the irrational Collins haters look a little absurd last night.

And, damn, I enjoyed it. Take your fire Collins thread, turn it sideways, and you know the rest. Go root for the Dawgs if you hate Collins so much. Because last night the skinny pants wearing coach made you and your post over the past few weeks here look idiotic.
It’s every bit as insane to support a coach on the basis of one game as it is to call for his firing on the basis of one game. All these games do is embolden those who are already entrenched in their positions 🙄

In reality there’s still 8 games this year to make sense of the state of the program. Hopefully it’s closer to last nights team than the team that played NIU. Coach rightfully has a lot to prove after 2 3-win seasons.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s every bit as insane to support a coach on the basis of one game as it is to call for his firing on the basis of one game. All these games do is embolden those who are already entrenched in their positions 🙄

In reality there’s still 8 games this year to really make sense of the state of the program. Hopefully it’s closer to last nights team than the team that played NIU. Coach rightfully has a lot to prove after 2 3-win seasons.
Very well said. Most that wanted to see him gone were basing it on more than just one game, but you make a valid point. Let’s see how this plays out. At least there is some optimism currently for next week.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, I guess the test will be if we lose another game that it looked like we should've won, do we have a bunch more fire the coach threads, money down polls, he dresses funny threads, he talks funny threads.

When we can win or lose without all of that BS, regardless of the coach, then we've turned the corner.

I know there were people that did it when CPJ's team lost too. Quiet on wins, pile on in losses. IIWII
We haven’t seen a coach look as inept as Collins has for 2 plus years in a long time. Last night was the first time under Collins that we were substance over hype. That’s not the fan‘s fault, that was Collins writing checks he couldn’t cash. He finally had a check not bounce. I’m very happy for that. All of us hope this continues and that the ”fire” threads turn into “hope we can keep him” threads. But, regardless of wins or losses, money down is still stupid.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I felt like that was the best GT performance in at least 5 years. THAT is encouraging in and of itself. So, I will relish that for a full entire week!

I do agree we will have to see the whole season play out, but at least there is now hope and optimism. If we get to a bowl, then arguably we are on schedule as a program.

To be honest, I still want to see what our offense looks like when defenses gear up to stop our run game. Can Sims pass effectively enough often enough to lead us to wins? I think UNC wasn't expecting to see him, and he shocked them. But Pitt will be loaded at the LOS to stop our RPO runs (just like NIU was). And Sims couldn't loosen NIU up with passing. Let's hope he can effectively pass against future opponents.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
We haven’t seen a coach look as inept as Collins has for 2 plus years in a long time. Last night was the first time under Collins that we were substance over hype. That’s not the fan‘s fault, that was Collins writing checks he couldn’t cash. He finally had a check not bounce. I’m very happy for that. All of us hope this continues and that the ”fire” threads turn into “hope we can keep him” threads. But, regardless of wins or losses, money down is still stupid.
Speaking of written checks that didn’t cash…
But we are going to get boat raced by UNC because they have a real QB. We haven’t stopped or outscored a real offense since Collins has been here.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The game was a positive no doubt but it also can lead to 2 bad things-- 1. over-confidence and 2. awakening by opponents that we are dangerous -can't surprise Pitt now,etc.
It will be interesting to see how the season plays out.It certainly offers new hope for some success.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
The irrational fan in me says YES! The way we played defense last night was incredible. That’s what I’ve missed so much since Tenuta, is believing we had a chance on defense. I’m the fan that still gets up and yells as hard as he can when the D is on the field. That’s where I have the most enjoyment. Even last night only 20% maybe stood on 3rd down and made noise. I think so many of us have lost faith on D that we’re discouraged.
Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the big wins when we ran all over teams before and I’m not enthusiastic about some of the style stuff we do now, and seriously dislike “money down” but what matters is what we do on the field.

The more rational part of me remembers this is the same team that had trouble stopping the running game of a really bad team just a few weeks ago.

So like others have said, maybe we can look back at the end of the year and say for sure, but since I’m not a player, I can believe and keep celebrating all week !
Goooo Jackets!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This is the team I expected in the pre season. And I always thought our schedule was overrated. Good yes, but not insurmountable. Now the schedule looks like we could hang with anyone or get beat by anyone. If Sims and the defense plays like that the rest of the season, we should go 8-4 or 7-5 at the worst.