Confirmed Interviews

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
All that may be true, but it lives and dies with an accurate QB able to make quick reads. It's very similar ti the flexbone 3O that way. When JT or Tevin were running it it was a thing of beauty with the reads. We struggled without such a QB. Air raid is no different that way.
Don't forget Nesbitt. He ran it his own way but wow was he exciting on the field. He could layout some LB's when he Kept it. Or just go and get it back when he lost it.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Isn't the "air raid " offense where the QB plays deep takes the direct snap and tries to hit a WR with a quick slant or hook? Lots of misses and third & 4. Boring.
Do some learning:

Note: I don't think the air raid is right for Tech, at this time. Collins and staff needs results, yesterday. It also doesn't account for our depth at RB even with Gibbs transferring. But it's not all that different than the flexbone in that you commit to something, and do that something well.

Most of the knocks are actually opposite of the flexbone, that without a dominant running game you can't put a team away. It's also easy for a QB to be derided as an "air raid QB" when it comes to the NFL, but a lot of those stereotypes are getting busted now.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Do some learning:

Note: I don't think the air raid is right for Tech, at this time. Collins and staff needs results, yesterday. It also doesn't account for our depth at RB even with Gibbs transferring. But it's not all that different than the flexbone in that you commit to something, and do that something well.

Most of the knocks are actually opposite of the flexbone, that without a dominant running game you can't put a team away. It's also easy for a QB to be derided as an "air raid QB" when it comes to the NFL, but a lot of those stereotypes are getting busted now.

This. I wouldn't have an issue with going air raid, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for a coach on the hot seat to completely retool the offense with basically a year left to save his job.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I just researched him a little. I like what I read. I think he would be a could hire for Tech.
Chip Long's bio at Tennessee:

Interesting that in 2019 at Notre Dame, Long's offense ranked #14 in the country - yet he was not retained. (?)

From his bio at Tulane:

“I want all of our guys to be confident,” Long said. “Good players want to know the truth. They want coaches who are going to be honest, up front coaches who make demands. To learn how to get better, you’re going to make a mistake. Keep pushing, high pressure. When game day comes around , it gets easier. We need to be a grittier group. Learn how to practice harder.”

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
This. I wouldn't have an issue with going air raid, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for a coach on the hot seat to completely retool the offense with basically a year left to save his job.
Or, it may be the only thing that makes sense, as long as the new scheme fits our personnel. The old offense wasn’t working.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
“I want all of our guys to be confident,” Long said. “Good players want to know the truth. They want coaches who are going to be honest, up front coaches who make demands. To learn how to get better, you’re going to make a mistake. Keep pushing, high pressure. When game day comes around , it gets easier. We need to be a grittier group. Learn how to practice harder.”
Agree with this, but not sure this fits with Collins.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't Ted Roof make a lateral move from PSU to GT to be at his alma mater? I think there are always reasons people may leave one job for another.
Unfortunately, Collins doesnt have the luxury of experimenting with coaching hires. The honeymoon is over and real life big time football results are expected next year or else.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A different source just told me Kittley is going to Texas Tech. We offered and were outbid. (I guess that means we interviewed him as well) This source is less reliable and less connected than my other source, but given the nature of the information, I thought I would pass it along.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
If players are the reason his offense was bad, why not get Kittley or Korn who seem to have done more with less?
Both those teams were in better positions than Tulane. Korn has never coached another team and has never called a play. Kittley brought his own qb with him and WKY was not as nearly in bad a shape.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A different source just told me Kittley is going to Texas Tech. We offered and were outbid. (I guess that means we interviewed him as well) This source is less reliable and less connected than my other source, but given the nature of the information, I thought I would pass it along.
Thanks.
Western k just lost to utsa in a high scoring game. WK had 577 yards passing and just a few rushing yds.
Oh well next man up.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Kittley went to a program that his dad coaches at. That’s he’s the alma mater of..

Idk why GT was supposedly outbid. He may not even be the first choice.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
After three years of Collins it just might be that we are going to get the leavings when vacancies occur.