Conference Realignment

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Does state of Ga have a resesrch medical school?
I have been in Texas my working life. Baylor, UT,

Possible:
Codify a school by partial merge emory, ga tech, ga state.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Starting a medical school is expensive. Alabama has one at UAB. NC has three. One each at Duke, UNC and ECU. All four are wonderful. GA has Emory. Who else?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Starting a medical school is expensive. Alabama has one at UAB. NC has three. One each at Duke, UNC and ECU. All four are wonderful. GA has Emory. Who else?
Medical College of GA (Augusta) and Morehouse Medical College (Atlanta). The board that governs Georgia's public colleges Tuesday (2/13) authorized the University of Georgia to establish a medical school at its Athens campus.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The Medical College of Georgia-Augusta University is the only public medical school in the state. It is a research university.
Medical College of GA (Augusta) and Morehouse Medical College (Atlanta). The board that governs Georgia's public colleges Tuesday (2/13) authorized the University of Georgia to establish a medical school at its Athens campus.
This just got authorized by the BoR.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here's a quick update on the lawsuit duel between FSU and the ACC.

The ACC has until Friday to file it's response to FSU's original complaint in Leon County.

There's a hearing in Charlotte on March 22 to begin dealing with the ACC request to keep the ESPN contract sealed and the FSU complaint that included quoted text from the contract. That same day the court will hear from both sides regarding FSU's motion to dismiss.

So, we're a long way from dealing with the merits in either venue.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
In other news, if this is correct, looks like the influx of teams has the SEC finally moving to a 9-game schedule.

I think the timing will be based on when ESPN will be willing to pay extra for 9 conference games. It has been reported that the SEC had planned to go to 9 conference games a few years ago, but ESPN told them they wouldn't receive any extra money for it. If the SEC thinks there is media value in playing extra games, they won't do so until they get compensated. It isn't just a hissy fit. If they were to play extra conference games for no extra money, it would set a precedent going forward.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think the timing will be based on when ESPN will be willing to pay extra for 9 conference games. It has been reported that the SEC had planned to go to 9 conference games a few years ago, but ESPN told them they wouldn't receive any extra money for it. If the SEC thinks there is media value in playing extra games, they won't do so until they get compensated. It isn't just a hissy fit. If they were to play extra conference games for no extra money, it would set a precedent going forward.
According to ESPN, "The deal provides the network, including ABC, up to 15 premier football games, including the SEC championship game and rivalry games such as Alabama-Auburn and Florida-Georgia."

They get to broadcast 15 games. Adding more conference games simply gives them more to choose from.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
A 9 conference game schedule will put the rivalry SEC patsy games in jeopardy. Everyone/Vandy, everyone/Arkansas, everyone/MSU, almost everyone/Auburn, almost everyone/Missouri, almost everyone/Kentucky.
FIFY

Sure, the patsy teams change year to year, but there’s always half a dozen. With an extra conference game, and two more (real) teams, the odds of getting a total cake-walk conference schedule drops dramatically.

Oh, the humanity.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
According to ESPN, "The deal provides the network, including ABC, up to 15 premier football games, including the SEC championship game and rivalry games such as Alabama-Auburn and Florida-Georgia."

They get to broadcast 15 games. Adding more conference games simply gives them more to choose from.
What I have heard, but not confirmed, is that the SEC went to ESPN after the totals for the current contract were negotiated and asked for a bump if the conference went to 9 conference games. That would mean less Auburn vs NM State and more Auburn vs South Carolina games. ESPN's response was that they would be happy with more SEC vs SEC games, but that they were not going to pay more for it.

I was simply trying to say that the SEC will most likely make the decision to play 9 conference games based on money. If ESPN will not pay extra, then the SEC will stick with 8 conference games. That is just my opinion.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What I have heard, but not confirmed, is that the SEC went to ESPN after the totals for the current contract were negotiated and asked for a bump if the conference went to 9 conference games. That would mean less Auburn vs NM State and more Auburn vs South Carolina games. ESPN's response was that they would be happy with more SEC vs SEC games, but that they were not going to pay more for it.

I was simply trying to say that the SEC will most likely make the decision to play 9 conference games based on money. If ESPN will not pay extra, then the SEC will stick with 8 conference games. That is just my opinion.
I agree with you. The entire thrust of SEC actions is to a) get more matchups that people want to watch and b) expand regional viewership. Games get interesting to advertisers (and higher media rights) at around 4 million or so. The SEC wants ratings/viewership at the low end of the NFL ... everything else they will stream on ESPN+.