Conference Realignment

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Coaches salaries of state schools is FOIA information. They are paid by the AA. The ACC is a private corporation, however, it is a collective of public (mostly) schools who sit on the board as voting members. I’d imagine this could be tested in court.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The previous font specifically highlighted the GOR contract to which FSU is a party. The Florida AG has a right to any document signed by FSU.
Agree.
I interpreted the plural of “contract” in the response over the bolded reference to GOR in the previous post.
That said, just because the AG requested the GOR from the ACC as a matter of discovery does not mean that FSU did not have it or that she could not have obtained a copy from FSU. I think a lot of people may be misinterpreting that (willing to entertain possibility that I may be as well).

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The real question, as always, is why. So far the most plausible theory is to kick up enough stink that the ACC decides to settle in some way rather than have the ongoing bad PR.
I have a golf group of roughly 12 "regulars", 8 of whom are attorneys and most are fans/alums of the SEC schools except 1 guy from ND and another from Minnesota. None of them have much interest in this case so I asked them the "why" questions. First question, will attorneys take on lawsuits that they cannot win. A: yes but an ethical attorney will advise the client in advance. If the client wants to proceed, then the attorney (in some cases) will serve as legal counsel. Q: Why would somebody incur the expenses of an apparently unwinnable case? A: they are not looking to win but hoping the other side will cave in and negotiate a settlement. less expensive and it keeps things out of the public eye.

Bear in mind, these were attorneys speaking and we were in the 19th hole (prior to this arctic front). So the conversation drug on for much longer than implied above. I did you the courtesy of translating from lawyer speak to engneer speak so save me hours of typing and you hours of reading. ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have a golf group of roughly 12 "regulars", 8 of whom are attorneys and most are fans/alums of the SEC schools except 1 guy from ND and another from Minnesota. None of them have much interest in this case so I asked them the "why" questions. First question, will attorneys take on lawsuits that they cannot win. A: yes but an ethical attorney will advise the client in advance. If the client wants to proceed, then the attorney (in some cases) will serve as legal counsel. Q: Why would somebody incur the expenses of an apparently unwinnable case? A: they are not looking to win but hoping the other side will cave in and negotiate a settlement. less expensive and it keeps things out of the public eye.

Bear in mind, these were attorneys speaking and we were in the 19th hole (prior to this arctic front). So the conversation drug on for much longer than implied above. I did you the courtesy of translating from lawyer speak to engneer speak so save me hours of typing and you hours of reading. ;)
And a job well done, sir. Confirms my suspicions too.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Coaches salaries of state schools is FOIA information. They are paid by the AA. The ACC is a private corporation, however, it is a collective of public (mostly) schools who sit on the board as voting members. I’d imagine this could be tested in court.

Salaries of state employees, including coaches, are not exempt from the FOIA. That's why we always know the details of the GT coaches contracts.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

If you remind them they are off the clock, some of them are capable of being succinct.
Some are too far gone.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Lol truer words were never spoken.
I have a friend who's a retired attorney and it takes him 15 minutes to answer a simple (not legal) question. A question about anything.
He wants to eliminate every loophole, every possible misinterpretation or trap that can occur, accurately capturing the nuance of the question, while meticulously and precisely answering when his wife asked, “Where were you last night?”

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But why would ND walk into the playoff when FSU didn't (excluding the obvious expansion to 12 teams)? heck under a 12 team scenario FSU has every bit the chance of making it as does ND.
Yep! But FSU is so determined to get out, it can't see straight. It wants the money and ND will bring its own.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yep! But FSU is so determined to get out, it can't see straight. It wants the money and ND will bring its own.
Why doesn’t the ACC allow teams to negotiate private, say, 4th tiers agreements, to stream or delay broadcast games? Granted, this may diminish ESPN’s earning potential a bit, but I doubt much. Yet it might bring an extra $5M to a team with a large following.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Why doesn’t the ACC allow teams to negotiate private, say, 4th tiers agreements, to stream or delay broadcast games? Granted, this may diminish ESPN’s earning potential a bit, but I doubt much. Yet it might bring an extra $5M to a team with a large following.
No idea. But let FSU pay $500M to the ACC, exit ... and welcome ND, their NBC contract, and a revised GOR.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree but Florida has been finding “unique” ways to bend the judicial system the last few years.

But, let me play devil’s advocate, and forgive me for going over old ground. The AG can argue the state has a vested interest in this trial because there is a lawsuit originating from a party within the state that is also a public institution supported by state funds. I know it’s flimsy but just explaining what I think the AG rationale would be. And, perhaps, FSU lawyers even requested the AG look into it.

The real question, as always, is why. So far the most plausible theory is to kick up enough stink that the ACC decides to settle in some way rather than have the ongoing bad PR.
As I said in a much earlier post, the AG can request anything she wants. That doesn’t mean the ACC even has to acknowledge the request.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, I'm confused now what we're all talking about. There is a difference between the two. I'm not sure the AG has a right to the GOR, but FSU should.
If FSU is a legal signatory then I would think they do, but their ability to disclose details may be limited by an NDA which we do not have access to.