Conference Realignment

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
But they currently are still members of the PAC12 until August. Like those schools, FSU has given the ACC a notice of intent to leave the conference. The only difference is FSU doesn't have a destination or timeline like the other PAC12 schools.
The rules in most of the conferences (definitely in the ACC) are that the moment you submit paperwork that you’re leaving the conference, you no longer have a voting interest in Conference business. I’m sure the PAC12 had the same language.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t see this as neutering or any kind of payback to FSU. However there is litigation between FSU and the ACC, and the ACC Board and member schools will need to be briefed and make decisions on legal strategy. Excluding FSU from the governance of the conference may be the only legal way to exclude them from discussions involving the litigation.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
F$U has screwed the pooch on this one. This lawsuit, along with their dereliction in the most recent Orange Bowl, is strong evidence that they are not team players, but instead are looking out only for themselves. If they were to gain exit from the ACC, will either the SEC or B1G want that hot mess in their conference? I think not. Seldom does the public crybaby get his way. They might get an invitation to the new B12, but unless they get a favorable rights allocation they will be worse off than in the ACC.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see this as neutering or any kind of payback to FSU. However there is litigation between FSU and the ACC, and the ACC Board and member schools will need to be briefed and make decisions on legal strategy. Excluding FSU from the governance of the conference may be the only legal way to exclude them from discussions involving the litigation.

To further this point, if FSU is claiming that the conference is being mismanaged in their lawsuit, there is now a conflict of interest going forward as the school will no longer vote for what is in the best interest of the conference, but rather in a way that demonstrates that the conference is being mismanaged. Excluding them from the decision process protects the conference in its lawsuit with FSU.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All this is ACC Basically signaling that they plan to fight hard legally against FSU and not just give in to what they want.
I don't have a big issue with ACC attempting to get a judge to say that FSU should not have any say in the administration of ACC matters. It is clear they are not acting in the best interests of the conference.

FWIW, here are 2 articles by a Cal Lawyer talking specifically about the FSU lawsuit filed against the ACC.
In general he finds their lawsuit to be mostly a legal temper tantrum with little legal beef behind it and at times non-seniscal and contradictory.

https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/guest-post-fsu-vs-the-acc-part-1

https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/guest-post-florida-state-vs-the-acc

Basically when FSU felt the deal was good for them they were fine with it, right now they don't feel it is good for them and want out, but don't want to live up to what they signed and get out for free (or at a greatly reduced cost).

Techster

Helluva Engineer

When you cross into "legal strategy", well, it's become ugly. When you no longer give a party control or a say in how a company is run, you've neutered their power. Yes, it's legal strategy, and the right thing to do for the ACC, but it doesn't change the fact FSU is STILL a member but the ACC is asking the courts to prevent FSU from accessing benefits and rights as a member...hence being neutered. You can classify it any way you want outside of "neutering" a party, but in essence that's what it boils down to. It's not payback, it's just business...and in business, you gain the upper hand on your competitors (and that's what FSU is essentially going to be if not in the ACC) "neutering" any advantage they might have as a voting member or beneficiary of an arrangement. Which is what the ACC is doing.

I'm not defending FSU, who can disappear into the swamps of FL for all I care, but the actions taken by each side is anything but ordinary.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All this is ACC Basically signaling that they plan to fight hard legally against FSU and not just give in to what they want.
I don't have a big issue with ACC attempting to get a judge to say that FSU should not have any say in the administration of ACC matters. It is clear they are not acting in the best interests of the conference.

FWIW, here are 2 articles by a Cal Lawyer talking specifically about the FSU lawsuit filed against the ACC.
In general he finds their lawsuit to be mostly a legal temper tantrum with little legal beef behind it and at times non-seniscal and contradictory.

https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/guest-post-fsu-vs-the-acc-part-1

https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/guest-post-florida-state-vs-the-acc

Basically when FSU felt the deal was good for them they were fine with it, right now they don't feel it is good for them and want out, but don't want to live up to what they signed and get out for free (or at a greatly reduced cost).

The ACC has to do what's best for the conference. What they're doing is taking their "We've been nice about it till now" gloves off and signaling to FSU they're going to the mats with them.

FSU, from what I've read from some sports lawyers, is positioning themselves to make this arrangement as untenable as possible for the ACC so they can lower the exit figure to something less financially crippling for them to leave. It seems FSU thinks getting left out of the playoffs worked to their legal advantage from a perception standpoint, even though they would be wrong to think that from a legal standpoint.

Since GT belongs to the ACC, it's in our best interest that the ACC holds FSU to the GOR to maximize our media payout, or extract as much blood from the exiting FSU turnip as possible.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The ACC has to do what's best for the conference. What they're doing is taking their "We've been nice about it till now" gloves off and signaling to FSU they're going to the mats with them.

FSU, from what I've read from some sports lawyers, is positioning themselves to make this arrangement as untenable as possible for the ACC so they can lower the exit figure to something less financially crippling for them to leave. It seems FSU thinks getting left out of the playoffs worked to their legal advantage from a perception standpoint, even though they would be wrong to think that from a legal standpoint.

Since GT belongs to the ACC, it's in our best interest that the ACC holds FSU to the GOR to maximize our media payout, or extract as much blood from the exiting FSU turnip as possible.
It seems to me the ACC has no choice but to fight this tooth and nail.
A compromise settlement would leave the door open to any other school to exit by the same method and would prove to be the end of the conference.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
From a legal standpoint, I think FSU is just making a lot of noise. They are gone, and they are trying to shorten and reduce the financial penalties associated with the GOR.

I also think they are trying to get one of the few spots left in either the B1G or SEC. From my perspective, the FSU leadership has done a horrible job with the release of information and has almost welcomed and invited controversy due to their actions. This has from a legal standpoint put them behind in almost any litigation scenario. All you have to do is read the ACC latest filing to see this. I keep asking myself why would a board do this... And I think the answer to that is, that FSU knew the schools that the B1G was planning on inviting closer to the end of the ACC's GOR, and FSU wasn't one of them. It might be shocking to the average college football fan, but I don't think the B1G's expansion plans ever included FSU. Period. I also think that the SEC wasn't planning on inviting FSU immediately. I think the SEC is more than content to just sit and see how the next round of media deals go. (Ultimately I think FSU will end of in the SEC)

So the last year of FSU bellyaching, leaking information, and ruining relationships with their ACC brothers is simply a PR campaign, trying to use their historical brand strength to influence college football fans who will pressure the leadership. In the hopes of getting one of those final spots.

I mean the average fan is going to look at this and say. FSU is unhappy, we should invite them today!

FSU had admitted in court that the buyout of the media agreement is over 500 Million. They are trying to argue that it is unreasonable, and a restriction of trade that should make it invalid. I don't see a snowball chance in hell that argument works but they are paying people to make it. I think the most likely outcome will be a 300 million plus figure that is paid by FSU to the ACC to absolve their involvement with the GOR in the next couple of years, probably by 2026 or 2027.

But if neither of the SEC nor B1G reaches out for a landing spot, I think that FSU will shrink back, and embrace its reputation as the disgruntled member of the ACC until the early 2030's when we will play conference musical chairs for probably one of the last times.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me the ACC has no choice but to fight this tooth and nail.
A compromise settlement would leave the door open to any other school to exit by the same method and would prove to be the end of the conference.

100%. ACC can't afford to let FSU off easy on this or certain other members will follow the playbook FSU used to leave.

GTsapper

Georgia Tech Fan
100%. ACC can't afford to let FSU off easy on this or certain other members will follow the playbook FSU used to leave.
If FSU leaves, the league implodes. We put all our chips into the ACC after we rejected the Big 10 offer. We have to play the jerk role and root for the conference to win this one. Otherwise, we'll be establishing new rivalries with UTSA and South Alabama or something.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If FSU leaves, the league implodes. We put all our chips into the ACC after we rejected the Big 10 offer. We have to play the jerk role and root for the conference to win this one. Otherwise, we'll be establishing new rivalries with UTSA and South Alabama or something.
Isn't that going to happen in 10 years anyways? Are we just delaying the inevitable? Are we just trying to bring in as much revenue as we can before we are relegated out of major college sports? Im not really an FSU fan but It feels like FSU is the only program in the ACC actively trying to secure the future of their program. Some other programs are likely just letting FSU take the bullet for now as they are looking to leave as well. Then you have the other programs that are just trying to cash in as much as possible before their programs are crushed. Hopefully our program is at least in the second group and is doing something behind the scenes to try to remain a major program.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
There aren't enough ACC teams with homes for the league to totally implode (and we'd still have the rest of the TV deal + exit fees + GOR settlements). Losing Clemson/FSU would just drop us clearly below the B12, and we'd be in a good place to pick up a Vandy/Purdue/etc once they get cast off from the P2.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
How in the world is Rutgers losing $50M with the B1G revenue?

Also note the $40M delta in profits between us and UGA. But we're totally gonna be competitive with them any day now fellas. Just have to try harder :rolleyes:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When you cross into "legal strategy", well, it's become ugly. When you no longer give a party control or a say in how a company is run, you've neutered their power. Yes, it's legal strategy, and the right thing to do for the ACC, but it doesn't change the fact FSU is STILL a member but the ACC is asking the courts to prevent FSU from accessing benefits and rights as a member...hence being neutered. You can classify it any way you want outside of "neutering" a party, but in essence that's what it boils down to. It's not payback, it's just business...and in business, you gain the upper hand on your competitors (and that's what FSU is essentially going to be if not in the ACC) "neutering" any advantage they might have as a voting member or beneficiary of an arrangement. Which is what the ACC is doing.

I'm not defending FSU, who can disappear into the swamps of FL for all I care, but the actions taken by each side is anything but ordinary.
Well, FSU is asking the Court to instruct them that their withdrawal notification is retroactive to before the 2023 season. If this is true, then by the clause in the ACC bylaws, FSU has forfeited any voting shares they hold regarding ACC management. The ACC is not putting this argument forward, but could if they wanted to stipulate that FSU has, by their plea to the Court, tendered their official notice of withdrawal.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
While the loss of F$U would not be a good thing for the conference, let's not overstate outcome. There would still be 15 ACC teams plus a PT ND (BC, Cuse, Louisville, ND*, UVA, VPI, UNCheat, NCSU, Dook, WFU, Clemson, GT, Miami, SMU, Cal, and Stanford). The conference won't be adding UTSA or USA. We would be minus one gigantic crybaby but likely adding another team, probably of the caliber of UCF, OK St, or Kansas. All would not be lost.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How in the world is Rutgers losing $50M with the B1G revenue?

Also note the $40M delta in profits between us and UGA. But we're totally gonna be competitive with them any day now fellas. Just have to try harder :rolleyes:
The delta in profits isn't even taking into consideration how much more they already spend than us. They spend about 65 million more than us already while taking in that massive profit.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The delta in profits isn't even taking into consideration how much more they already spend than us. They spend about 65 million more than us already while taking in that massive profit.
The COA of their school, maybe? They pay part of all of that for every S-A on scholarship.