Conference Realignment

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Don’t you get tired of being the smartest person in the room? 😊
Just tell Vinnie to sit down before he gets a big head.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Online and standardized applications have made kids apply to a lot more schools than 20, 25 years ago in general, I think super-elite-reputation places have seen some extra bumps from this too because if you don't think you're that likely to get in you don't want to do THAT much extra work, but if it's easier... why not? But interesting that the other big gainers seem to be big state schools - maybe financial pressure on some of the private ones? Or just general population migration?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The standard/common app has led to higher growth in applications, but that doesn't explain why Tech's applications have grown so much faster than other peer schools that also went to the common app.
Back in the day, you only applied to Tech if you wanted to go there. Only a limited number of people applied. That's why the acceptance rate was pretty high. If you couldn't get in, you typically didn't apply.

NoPlayCard

Georgia Tech Fan

“The third part of the proposal — a new subdivision — will then be explored by the Council for, potentially, adoption at next year’s convention in January 2025.”

Talk about a news dump during all the Saban retirement talk…

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This is what I’m trying to figure out. Alabama we understand but Tech?
Either GT football has been more successful than mutt football over the last 23 years, or contrary to the common college football fan beliefs there is a lot more that goes into college selection than the football team.

Alabama is usually listed as a school where the football team is the reason for increased applications. The school, not athletic department, has spent 100s of millions of dollars on academic and research facilities. I guess the typical college football fan thinks that those things have zero to do with increased applications.

EDIT: With the way that college sports discussions go, I am sure that someone will point out all of the things that GT has done apart from sports to show that GT's increase can be explained without sports. Then that person will ignore all of those items when discussing Alabama to prove that sports is the driving cause of increased applications.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Either GT football has been more successful than mutt football over the last 23 years, or contrary to the common college football fan beliefs there is a lot more that goes into college selection than the football team.

Alabama is usually listed as a school where the football team is the reason for increased applications. The school, not athletic department, has spent 100s of millions of dollars on academic and research facilities. I guess the typical college football fan thinks that those things have zero to do with increased applications.
This. I think it's multiple reasons. The average Tech student doesn't seem to really care much about athletics. It stands to reason that we would not draw appreciably more applications due to athletics.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL...I said something we all haven't thought up was happening with the SEC and B1G years ago. SEC/ESPN just made the first big move.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It's about to get UGLY. That last tweet is gloves off for the ACC...

I don't see anything "ugly" or petty in that filing. The first FSU filing, on the other hand, was full of fluff that made it sound like a toddler whining. That one read like something put together to incite their fans, instead of like something you put together to convince a court. This filing seems to be just stating facts and asking for the court to take some actions based on those facts. I am not a lawyer, and have not ready both pleadings all the way through. That is just my layman assessment.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Ooh, are we at the point where FSU loses their vote and the rest of the conference can cut off their share and split it among the rest of us?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Florida State has chosen to breach its contractual obligations. It has violated its contractual promise not to challenge the validity or enforceability of the Grant of Rights.

I'd be interested in any of our resident lawyer's take on this. Seems fairly BS-y, I don't think *if* the contract was invalid (say, because of whatever deception FSU alleges around term or ESPN exit or some other thing a court holds invalid) that you could sign away the right to *challenge* it? Or else that seems like a license to make illegal contracts that everybody and their mom would be using...