Conference Realignment

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It is determined on the field and then a smokeless room that seeds the "best" teams. Simply look at cumulative G5 vs P5 records any given year and the P4/5 teams win 80%+ of the games. The P4/5 teams have earned their seeding based on performance. The 12 team CFP will be much better than the BCS or 4 tem CFP. At least one G5 team will have a chance every year. It would be great if they actually were competitive or one a first round game! Very low odds though.

You seem to favor participation trophies 🏆- let's give everyone a trophy! Funny. But keep fighting the battle you know is lost and has zero chance of happening. I assume you like fighting lost causes! Maybe you are the Jubal Early of the CFP! The Myth of the G5 Lost Cause! :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :p
Industry Rishi GIF by HBO
Swing and a miss. No one gets a trophy but the winner.

I do expect better from you than that weak sauce, Root. :p

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It is determined on the field and then a smokeless room that seeds the "best" teams. Simply look at cumulative G5 vs P5 records any given year and the P4/5 teams win 80%+ of the games. The P4/5 teams have earned their seeding based on performance. The 12 team CFP will be much better than the BCS or 4 tem CFP. At least one G5 team will have a chance every year. It would be great if they actually were competitive or one a first round game! Very low odds though.

You seem to favor participation trophies 🏆- let's give everyone a trophy! Funny. But keep fighting the battle you know is lost and has zero chance of happening. I assume you like fighting lost causes! Maybe you are the Jubal Early of the CFP! The Myth of the G5 Lost Cause! :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :p
Industry Rishi GIF by HBO
80% <> 100%

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm just not sure why giving everyone a fair chance at being National Champion is so repulsive to ole root and dicky, and why they would rather see the 4th or 5th best SEC get waxed by the same team a 2nd time. Was the first Ole Miss-ugag game this year not enough, and you need more of that?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I'm just not sure why giving everyone a fair chance at being National Champion is so repulsive to ole root and dicky, and why they would rather see the 4th or 5th best SEC get waxed by the same team a 2nd time. Was the first Ole Miss-ugag game this year not enough, and you need more of that?
I dunno. Seems like they may have drunk deeply of the sEcSPN Koolaid.

GTsapper

Georgia Tech Fan
I am sorry, but is 2007 some ancient period in history. Also, did a less talented lower level team beat a team with far superior talent or did they not?
The Citadel says hi as well, that wasn't the point. No team has ever won a national title below the blue chip ratio. A few have been close, including this year's Michigan team. But it's never happened.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Actually you are dieing on the hill wanting all the G5 Champions in the CFP. It's humorous all season this board bashed UGA for playing a weak schedule with several G5 teams and yet now somehow thing those weak G5 teams are equal to the P4 teams. LOL
International Cat Day Cats GIF by BuzzFeed

Except you, as well as another poster, keep saying things I never said, stretching the argument in torturous directions.

stretch armstrong 90s GIF

But, I get it, you’re on board with the rich getting richer. That’s a legitimate point of view that I happen to disagree with. Sorry.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Check the G5 champs vs all P5 teams they played that I posted. G5 “Champs” went 1-9 with the only win as JMU over UVA by 1 point. That should inspire all the G5 fans. LOL
90% <> 100%

I agree that G5 Champs do not have much of a chance in the playoffs. They do not have much of a chance in the college basketball tournament or CWS either. They will lose most of their games in any playoff.

But if they pull off a huge upset, it will be epic and remembered a lot more than Bama beating Georgia two or three times in a season. (FDU over #1 seed Purdue, Princeton over 2 seed Arizona) It is those moments that make sports special. Give the little guy a chance and maybe they knock off the #1 seed. Just because they are likely to lose most of the time, who cares? The 12 seeds from every P4/5 conference will lose to the 1 seed most of the time also.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The Citadel says hi as well, that wasn't the point. No team has ever won a national title below the blue chip ratio. A few have been close, including this year's Michigan team. But it's never happened.
That was not clear from the original post. I was not arguing they could win a playoff. I was arguing they could win a game in a playoff.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No one is equating, but we are including. It’s simple. Please follow along…
A. FBS is subdivided into two divisions: P4/5 and G5.
B. The CFP winner becomes the FBS champion, of both divisions.
C. Therefore, both divisions should have representation in the CFP.
D. This can be determined in a smokey back room, or it can be done by competing on the field.
E. Many prefer competing on the field to smokey back room deals.

I expect everyone but Root to comprehend this. :p
There is no division between P4/5 and G5. They're both in the same division. However, they do play at different levels of football, on average.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You seem to favor participation trophies 🏆- let's give everyone a trophy! Funny. But keep fighting the battle you know is lost and has zero chance of happening.
Ummm, no one gets a trophy for being allowed into a tournament. That’s a stupid analogy. Folks like us are advocating for a true playoff system, not a rigged one geared to favor the “big boys”.

You continue to ignore that the system in NCAA basketball works BETTER and is more popular than what you propose. That’s stupid.

That all conference champions get a chance at the brass ring is what most folks want. Let everyone have a chance, only the winner gets a trophy.

I am surprised you like as well as defend a system where big money rules and the little guy has no chance. It’s downright unfair.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Ummm, no one gets a trophy for being allowed into a tournament. That’s a stupid analogy. Folks like us are advocating for a true playoff system, not a rigged one geared to favor the “big boys”.

You continue to ignore that the system in NCAA basketball works BETTER and is more popular than what you propose. That’s stupid.

That all conference champions get a chance at the brass ring is what most folks want. Let everyone have a chance, only the winner gets a trophy.

I am surprised you like as well as defend a system where big money rules and the little guy has no chance. It’s downright unfair.
So you are actually advocating for the 5 G5 Conference Champion teams that went 1-in the 10 games they played against P5 teams to get in the CFP. Yea that’s a participation trophy.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
90% <> 100%

I agree that G5 Champs do not have much of a chance in the playoffs. They do not have much of a chance in the college basketball tournament or CWS either. They will lose most of their games in any playoff.

But if they pull off a huge upset, it will be epic and remembered a lot more than Bama beating Georgia two or three times in a season. (FDU over #1 seed Purdue, Princeton over 2 seed Arizona) It is those moments that make sports special. Give the little guy a chance and maybe they knock off the #1 seed. Just because they are likely to lose most of the time, who cares? The 12 seeds from every P4/5 conference will lose to the 1 seed most of the time also.
That’s why 1 G5 team should get the opportunity. More than that it’s a waste of everyone’s time.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Are the CWS regionals and the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament a waste of everyone's time?
No , however football is very different than basketball or baseball. G5 teams regularly win basketball and football against mid level P5/4 teams. They even occasionally beat the top 8 P5 teams in baseball or basketball. That really does not happen in football. Football needs too many really good players. One or two in BB and one pitcher in baseball is all that is needed.

What is your proposal for the CFP? I may have missed it in this thread and am curious.