Conference Realignment

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There’s no way that GT goes 11-1 and misses a 12 team playoff with 7 at large spots. With that record we either won the conference (automatic bid) or we beat UGA (top 10 win).
You are living in fantasyland with this thinking. These same people you believe will invite GT just left out a program who won their conference, went undefeated, has Heisman Winners, and has multiple recent Nattys. GT has none of this and you believe they won’t hose us as an ACC team? I would agree if we were in the BIG or SEC, but they will screw any ACC they can in favor of a BIg or SEC team because they will get zero push back from the ACC leadership. And if we did beat UGA they would drop the Monday after our loss out of the top 10. They just dropped from 1st to 6th after losing to Bama. If they lost to us they’d easily drop out of the top 10 (no matter how good we are),

Where you are making your mistake is using the old criteria and believing the committee is fair. They just showed you with their actions that the ACC does not matter. Don’t listen to their words, look at their actions. They just left out an undefeated ACC champ so they could invite 2 SEC and 2 BIG teams instead. It’s not going to change going from 4 to 12 because they don’t want it to change.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is because they play FBS college football and this is the FBS championship we’re talking about. To say it’s an FBS championship and leave out their conference champ seems disingenuous to me when the field is large enough to accommodate all conf champs. I’m also an advocate of the regular season meaning something, and given that you cannot play 2-3 games per week in football, eliminating teams that have already lost out is necessary.
Noted. And while all on here are opinions, your's is a small minority and won't happen. Money, viewer interest and gambling interest all trump a "notion" of giving G5 teams an opportunity.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is because they play FBS college football and this is the FBS championship we’re talking about. To say it’s an FBS championship and leave out their conference champ seems disingenuous to me when the field is large enough to accommodate all conf champs. I’m also an advocate of the regular season meaning something, and given that you cannot play 2-3 games per week in football, eliminating teams that have already lost out is necessary.
I think your debate partner is also missing another point. There is no better sports story in all of sports than an underdog story. If underdogs routinely won they would not be underdogs and there would be no story. The chance very year to see a David and Goliath matchup would draw interest. People would look for those handful of plays where they held their own and the TV cut to shots of their raucous fans awash in delusional dreams of victory. Drinking games could develop in sports bars based on scores for each quarter, or three and outs, or how many times a defender got pancaked. And then, once every decade or so, just often enough to keep hope alive while still validating the underdog story, a miracle would happen.

Point is, just like people who like college basketball will watch all the matchups they can, so too a “tournament” of football would bring a whole new group of viewers.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think your debate partner is also missing another point. There is no better sports story in all of sports than an underdog story. If underdogs routinely won they would not be underdogs and there would be no story. The chance very year to see a David and Goliath matchup would draw interest. People would look for those handful of plays where they held their own and the TV cut to shots of their raucous fans awash in delusional dreams of victory. Drinking games could develop in sports bars based on scores for each quarter, or three and outs, or how many times a defender got pancaked. And then, once every decade or so, just often enough to keep hope alive while still validating the underdog story, a miracle would happen.

Point is, just like people who like college basketball will watch all the matchups they can, so too a “tournament” of football would bring a whole new group of viewers.
We 100% disagree on bringing new viewers. With the score 35-3 at half viewers would look for other entertainment.

PS you guys better never say GT has a bad loss to a G5 team or your credibility is nil

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We 100% disagree on bringing new viewers. With the score 35-3 at half viewers would look for other entertainment.

PS you guys better never say GT has a bad loss to a G5 team or your credibility is nil
Why? Your logic = 0 there. No one here is saying that those teams should win, but they do sometimes and they’re part of FBS. When they make the CFP a P4/5 playoff then they won’t belong. But until they make a new division they belong, even if you don’t like it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Why? Your logic = 0 there. No one here is saying that those teams should win, but they do sometimes and they’re part of FBS. When they make the CFP a P4/5 playoff then they won’t belong. But until they make a new division they belong, even if you don’t like it.
Name a game that a top 7 team has lost to a G5 team the past 10 years. Might be one, I don’t know. That is of zero interest to know the winner with 95% certainty in a CFP.

Anyway it won’t happen so I am out on this

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes it is moving the goalposts. But even worse a #5 team lost to FCS (at the time) App State. But that will probably be totally discounted because it is conveniently outside of the "10 year' window. Amazing that you can get stats that you want when you control the boundaries. "10 years", top "7". If you can put strict boundaries on anything that can be considered, you automatically control the entire debate. Eerily similar to the selection process for the CFP I would say.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You bracket them together. That’s an easy solution. An easier solution would be to run two playoffs, one for P4/5 and one for G5. Both satisfactory solutions.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Liberty or Tulane on their best day could not come close to any of the 4 CFP teams in an actual playoff where the game mattered and there was no looking past the opponent.
Ummm, Tulane beat hallowed USC just last year in a GREAT game in the Cotton Bowl just last year. It can happen.

In the Big Dance, those 1 vs 16 and 2 vs 15 games are often blowouts, but so what? For the 5% of the time there’s a major upset, it’s FABULOUS and much more exiting than seeing UT vs Ohio State.

Viewership in the opening round of the Big Dance says America doesn’t agree with you, dude.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If that’s the way you’re going to rank teams, you want to rank by resume, and that puts Washington ahead of Oregon and FSU in the top three.

That argument comes up all the time in ranking systems. Fans write in saying “my team beat that team-why aren’t they ranked higher?”. The answer is that they played more than one or two games.

It’s the performance in all the games that matters when people use the word “best”. Those are the predictive scales. The losses are data points, but they aren’t the only ones, Most of the metrics have Washington and Oregon neck and neck with each other, and some would have had a top four of Michigan, Washington, Oregon, and UGA.

You can either be predictive or you can measure merit.

Edit: here’s a composite rating, as an example
Once sure. But twice? Just tough to argue you’re better at that point.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Noted. And while all on here are opinions, your's is a small minority and won't happen. Money, viewer interest and gambling interest all trump a "notion" of giving G5 teams an opportunity.
Money, viewers, and gambling….

Yep, we really have no commonality in our thinking. Funny, I just want a fair and square football playoff.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Nice way to position the goalposts at #7 vs top 10.

2021. Cincinnati beat #9 Notre Dame 24-13.
There are 5 G5s. That’s why it’s called Group of 5:oops: that means positions 7-12 are for G5. You want them in 5-10, seriously? Play a game in Tulane, JMU, Toledo? Really?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Money, viewers, and gambling….

Yep, we really have no commonality in our thinking. Funny, I just want a fair and square football playoff.
Well that depends on the definition of fair. Your view is a clear minority. Are you an analytics proponent in college football?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
There are 5 G5s. That’s why it’s called Group of 5:oops: that means positions 7-12 are for G5. You want them in 5-10, seriously? Play a game in Tulane, JMU, Toledo? Really?
Well, being “out on this “ lasted 3 hours and 15 minutes. Also, you keep claiming that anyone that disagrees with you is in the minority. What analytics or polling are you relying on for that statement?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Walk back from the edge; you’ll be OK.
Hay, the CFP is going to be selected as I want. Not stupid auto bids for G5s. I am all good. Trying inject logic into silly thought on putting 5 no chance team in the CFP. But if others think that makes sense they charge Windmills :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Well, being “out on this “ lasted 3 hours and 15 minutes. Also, you keep claiming that anyone that disagrees with you is in the minority. What analytics or polling are you relying on for that statement?
Yea I gave in to the bait. TV ratings. Anyway see how it plays out during this TV contract and see if more than one per year G5 get in the CFP.

Ok fire away.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers