Conference Realignment

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Look at what they did to TCU and FSU.

Kirby understands style points and he understands that it’s a beauty pageant.

But sure, he decided to cut his in state rivals a break two weeks before the playoff selections because…. Why, exactly?
If any of you don't think he was trying to make sure his players were as healthy as possible for the SEC Championship Game you need to take a stem back from you Gold Colored Glasses and hate for Georgia. Smart did the smart thing and got his team as healthy as possible for the SEC Championship Game and still beat GT. That is good coaching!

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If any of you don't think he was trying to make sure his players were as healthy as possible for the SEC Championship Game you need to take a stem back from you Gold Colored Glasses and hate for Georgia. Smart did the smart thing and got his team as healthy as possible for the SEC Championship Game and still beat GT. That is good coaching!
Feels like if it was truly a "they could play, they just need to be careful" thing they could be dressed out and ready to go in case it turns into a surprisingly close game...

Or maybe he was cocky and hopefully didn't learn anything from ending up in a tight game and tries the same trick next year...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Feels like if it was truly a "they could play, they just need to be careful" thing they could be dressed out and ready to go in case it turns into a surprisingly close game...

Or maybe he was cocky and hopefully didn't learn anything from ending up in a tight game and tries the same trick next year...
Next year will be different. They play UMass the week before us. Normally they have a cupcake before our game. This year they played 3 really tough games in a row right before they played us.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not true. No one wants to see 45-14 games. That would be the results. People want games like we had Monday.
I assume you never watch the 1 vs 16 or the 2 vs 15 games in the Big Dance.
Yeah, people can’t stand watching those games, can they?
Results are usually lop-sided, yet the attraction of the Cinderella story causes many to tune in and every once in a while, Goliath stumbles.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Results are usually lop-sided, yet the attraction of the Cinderella story causes many to tune in and every once in a while, Goliath stumbles.
Basketball and football are very different sports. One or in a rre year two G5 teams could make the CFP. Giving automatic bids to more than one is simply stupid and will never happen!

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
In a 12 (or even 16) team playoff you are talking about Bama playing Troy State or Bama playing Penn State. Perhaps I’m in the minority, but I would be willing to bet the Bama v Penn State would generate more interest.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
In a 12 (or even 16) team playoff you are talking about Bama playing Troy State or Bama playing Penn State. Perhaps I’m in the minority, but I would be willing to bet the Bama v Penn State would generate more interest.
Maybe. However, if Alabama is tied with Troy at half time, the second half would probably get higher ratings than any college football game in history.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yea, Bama would blow any G5 team out of the water. I mean look at what they did to mediocre G5 USF! No P5 team would get beat that bad or worse (except Ole Miss, Miss St, Tennessee, LSU, and Kentucky). Err....

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yea, Bama would blow any G5 team out of the water. I mean look at what they did to mediocre G5 USF! No P5 team would get beat that bad or worse (except Ole Miss, Miss St, Tennessee, LSU, and Kentucky). Err....
Are you really interested in several G5 teams in the playoffs?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys need to look at the big picture. Extra playoff games ensure that teams like Bama and UGA have to gameplan within a short window against quality opponents. Injuries will also be huge as well as opt outs. Right now, Kirby and Nick for years had all off season to gameplan for 3 games. For UGA it was Florida, Auburn, and Bama (who they’d see in the SECCCG). When Johnson was our coach Kirby had to also spend time preparing for us. Bama could spend all of season game planning for LSU, Auburn, and UGA. With the expanded playoffs those staffs will finally have to show their worth with a 5 day prep time against an unknown opponent. There are going to be way more upsets than people think. Everyone is still using the old mindset where the higher seeded team gets the entire month of December to gameplan for a New Years Bowl. Or where UGA can circle the Florida game (now Tennessee) to see who wins the east.

And with teams losing depth every year due to the portal and with top 10 picks sitting out there are going to be major upsets all over an expanded playoffs. And just wait another 6-8 years when it expands to 24plus and you let teams like a hot GT get in.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You guys need to look at the big picture. Extra playoff games ensure that teams like Bama and UGA have to gameplan within a short window against quality opponents. Injuries will also be huge as well as opt outs. Right now, Kirby and Nick for years had all off season to gameplan for 3 games. For UGA it was Florida, Auburn, and Bama (who they’d see in the SECCCG). When Johnson was our coach Kirby had to also spend time preparing for us. Bama could spend all of season game planning for LSU, Auburn, and UGA. With the expanded playoffs those staffs will finally have to show their worth with a 5 day prep time against an unknown opponent. There are going to be way more upsets than people think. Everyone is still using the old mindset where the higher seeded team gets the entire month of December to gameplan for a New Years Bowl. Or where UGA can circle the Florida game (now Tennessee) to see who wins the east.

And with teams losing depth every year due to the portal and with top 10 picks sitting out there are going to be major upsets all over an expanded playoffs. And just wait another 6-8 years when it expands to 24plus and you let teams like a hot GT get in.
Might even make the regular season more of a minefield too. If you are focused on planning for a conference championship game, and a national championship run, you might end up with more Appalachian State upsets of Michigan. 😊

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Interesting take. Well done.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not against it. If they are as bad as you say, then it will be an easy warmup game for the top seeded teams basically equivalent to a bye, and nobody can complain that they got an unfair shake.
Yuck. I think most people want interesting games not games where one team is clearly superior and the game becomes non competitive in the 1st quarter. One G5 team is fine. If another has a great year ok. Only one automatic bid for me.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yuck. I think most people want interesting games not games where one team is clearly superior and the game becomes non competitive in the 1st quarter. One G5 team is fine. If another has a great year ok. Only one automatic bid for me.
You don't want a playoff. You just want the most interesting games that are most interesting to you. That's subjectivism - your opinion. I get it, but when it is approached that way, it tosses the whole thing into a subjective morass. There are often a lot of legitimate disagreements, hurt, and mistrust over these decisions.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
USF was beating Alabama at the end of the first quarter this year.

Wyoming was beating Texas after the first quarter this year.

Boise State was beating Washington after the first quarter this year.

FSU was losing 13-0 at the end of the first quarter against North Alabama this year.

ugag was 0-0 with Ball State at the end of the first quarter this year.

So 3 of the 4 CFP teams were losing to a G5 opponent at the end of the first quarter in a game this year, and Michigan was only up 7-0 at the end of the first against all 3 of their G5 opponents. The next two teams out of the cfp were either losing or tied with FCS/G5 teams at the end of the first quarter this year. And none of those G5 teams were even in their conference championship game except Boise State.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
USF was beating Alabama at the end of the first quarter this year.

Wyoming was beating Texas after the first quarter this year.

Boise State was beating Washington after the first quarter this year.

FSU was losing 13-0 at the end of the first quarter against North Alabama this year.

ugag was 0-0 with Ball State at the end of the first quarter this year.

So 3 of the 4 CFP teams were losing to a G5 opponent at the end of the first quarter in a game this year, and Michigan was only up 7-0 at the end of the first against all 3 of their G5 opponents. The next two teams out of the cfp were either losing or tied with FCS/G5 teams at the end of the first quarter this year. And none of those G5 teams were even in their conference championship game except Boise State.
And your point is? 😉

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You don't want a playoff. You just want the most interesting games that are most interesting to you. That's subjectivism - your opinion. I get it, but when it is approached that way, it tosses the whole thing into a subjective morass. There are often a lot of legitimate disagreements, hurt, and mistrust over these decisions.
There are. With 12 they matter less. I believe year after year we have seen the Best G5 teams can’t compete with the best P5 teams. Given that I don’t see a reason to have more than one invited.