Conference Realignment

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Some of you are living in a fairytale in your mind. The regular season in college football has sucked forever because the big boys always played 3 cupcakes to take cash from their fans wallets at home and avoid any game that could give them a loss. That’s why every year we all know we have about 4 Saturdays of crapola games. It was all a ruse for teams to get to 11 or 12 win seasons to win the beauty pageant. Then the 4 team playoff started and you actually saw a UGA team go outside the state to play a non-conference road game against a top 20 team. Why? They knew they’d win and even if they lost they’d still get an invite to the 4 team joke invitational if they won the SEC, see Bama this year.

We will soon be in an era where 9 win teams will win Natties and I think it’s great. Then when it doubles again it will be even more fun with 8 win teams. You dinosaurs who believe a Natty should go a team that played 3 real games all season will soon see how you’ve been tricked into believing the lie for your entire life. And teams who actually get better throughout the year and gel even with some losses will win a lot of playoff games. That’s why as a GT fan I can’t wait until the next iteration of 24 plus. I hope the ratings are so great that it goes to 48 before I die. Then my beloved team and every little guy who tried to do it right for 100 years will get a fair shot on the field.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
Yuck. I think most people want interesting games not games where one team is clearly superior and the game becomes non competitive in the 1st quarter. One G5 team is fine. If another has a great year ok. Only one automatic bid for me.
I think if every conference had a path to the playoffs, including the G5, you would find a lot more parity develop. The non-SEC/B1G school closer to home becomes more attractive if that team has a chance to make the playoffs. I'm under no illusion that this would happen.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There are. With 12 they matter less. I believe year after year we have seen the Best G5 teams can’t compete with the best P5 teams. Given that I don’t see a reason to have more than one invited.
It depends on what the “playoff” represents - an invitational or a true playoff from the regular season.

GTsapper

Georgia Tech Fan
Some of you are living in a fairytale in your mind. The regular season in college football has sucked forever because the big boys always played 3 cupcakes to take cash from their fans wallets at home and avoid any game that could give them a loss. That’s why every year we all know we have about 4 Saturdays of crapola games. It was all a ruse for teams to get to 11 or 12 win seasons to win the beauty pageant. Then the 4 team playoff started and you actually saw a UGA team go outside the state to play a non-conference road game against a top 20 team. Why? They knew they’d win and even if they lost they’d still get an invite to the 4 team joke invitational if they won the SEC, see Bama this year.

We will soon be in an era where 9 win teams will win Natties and I think it’s great. Then when it doubles again it will be even more fun with 8 win teams. You dinosaurs who believe a Natty should go a team that played 3 real games all season will soon see how you’ve been tricked into believing the lie for your entire life. And teams who actually get better throughout the year and gel even with some losses will win a lot of playoff games. That’s why as a GT fan I can’t wait until the next iteration of 24 plus. I hope the ratings are so great that it goes to 48 before I die. Then my beloved team and every little guy who tried to do it right for 100 years will get a fair shot on the field.
If I wanted to watch the NFL, I'd watch the NFL....

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
All NCAA sports tournaments are invitational at some level including the 12 team CFP. That won’t change.
The only one that doesn't have a set procedure for qualification that the incision committee can't take away is FBS football. It is purely invitational with zero automatic qualification.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
All NCAA sports tournaments are invitational at some level including the 12 team CFP. That won’t change.
The large ones include invitational components. The MBB NCAAT stole that from the NIT long ago over money. But they all have autobids for conference champs. That is what is missing here. One day maybe you’ll acknowledge this?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The large ones include invitational components. The MBB NCAAT stole that from the NIT long ago over money. But they all have autobids for conference champs. That is what is missing here. One day maybe you’ll acknowledge this?
Going forward the P4 champs get auto bids to the 12 team playoff. That works. All G5 conferenced do not deserve auto bids. Giving all G5 conference auto bids would make the CFP a joke and have nearly unwatchable games.

Are you advocating for all G5 Champs to get auto bids to the CFP?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Going forward the P4 champs get auto bids to the 12 team playoff. That works. All G5 conferenced do not deserve auto bids. Giving all G5 conference auto bids would make the CFP a joke and have nearly unwatchable games.

Wouldn’t bother me one bit. Rather see that than LSU or GA or Alabama play each other for the third time. Plus if it makes ND join a conference, I’m all for it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Why do they not deserve an autobid? That is a purely subjective statement. That’s the problem. Says who? Why not? If it’s an FBS championship, then they absolutely deserve bids. If it’s a P4/5 championship then not. What it is?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure that would be the case if there were a play-in round for the G5 conferences. I'm kind of for EVERYONE having a path. Win your conference, get a chance. It's not like the NCAABB where there are 742 conferences. We're only talking 5 teams. That's 9 automatic bids. If there's a play-in round, then you're talking 7 automatic bids. That leaves 5 at-large. I think that's probably about right.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that would be the case if there were a play-in round for the G5 conferences. I'm kind of for EVERYONE having a path. Win your conference, get a chance. It's not like the NCAABB where there are 742 conferences. We're only talking 5 teams. That's 9 automatic bids. If there's a play-in round, then you're talking 7 automatic bids. That leaves 5 at-large. I think that's probably about right.
Every champ has a path. It may be play-ins. IMPO, the regular season eliminates a bunch of teams. If you don’t win your conference championship, you don’t play for the national championship. Why is that so hard to process? That’s not to say your team couldn’t win it all, it’s just saying you already fell short in the first stage. Sorry. These things are settled on the field. There’s always next year.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the idea of 2 each from Power 4 and top Group of 5. That would leave 3 wildcards. That failing which it will, max of 3 from any conference. That would mean ACC, Big 12, Group of 5, 6 from Big 10 and SEC. Would leave 3 spots from ACC, Big 12 or another Group of 5. Hope the change from Power 5 to Power 4 leaves room for negotiation and not capitulation

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Again, you guys are only looking at the 12 team playoff. This 12 team system has already been corrupted because the SEC and BIG leaders are much better businessmen than the other conference leaders. You gotta look ahead to the next iteration of 24 plus. The next 6-8 years will be nothing more than the SEC-BIG invitational (and it started this year already for those paying attention, Texas (SEC) and Washington (BIG).

The 24 plus model that will be wanted by TV execs is the next chance to create a real playoff system where all teams who had good years can get a chance regardless of conference. In the meanwhile, those of you who were laughing at FSU won’t be laughing when GT goes 11-1 and gets left out because Clemson goes 12-0 and gets the lone invite. It’s as if many if you don’t realize that we have been in a war and you are rooting against your own side. But now that the war is over and the ACC just had an undefeated champ get left out, for GT, we gotta get out of this conference, it’s a dead end. You’ll all see it the next time we win double digits and are playing in a Dec. 28 bowl game while a 9-3 Ole Miss is in the playoffs.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Again, you guys are only looking at the 12 team playoff. This 12 team system has already been corrupted because the SEC and BIG leaders are much better businessmen than the other conference leaders. You gotta look ahead to the next iteration of 24 plus. The next 6-8 years will be nothing more than the SEC-BIG invitational (and it started this year already for those paying attention, Texas (SEC) and Washington (BIG).

The 24 plus model that will be wanted by TV execs is the next chance to create a real playoff system where all teams who had good years can get a chance regardless of conference. In the meanwhile, those of you who were laughing at FSU won’t be laughing when GT goes 11-1 and gets left out because Clemson goes 12-0 and gets the lone invite. It’s as if many if you don’t realize that we have been in a war and you are rooting against your own side. But now that the war is over and the ACC just had an undefeated champ get left out, for GT, we gotta get out of this conference, it’s a dead end. You’ll all see it the next time we win double digits and are playing in a Dec. 28 bowl game while a 9-3 Ole Miss is in the playoffs.
There’s no way that GT goes 11-1 and misses a 12 team playoff with 7 at large spots. With that record we either won the conference (automatic bid) or we beat UGA (top 10 win).

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
What I find interesting is this board went nuts when GT lost to BG, a G5 team. GT was a 6-6 P5 team that really was not in the class of the 4 CFP teams. Now all of a sudden some want a bunch of BG type teams in the CFP.

There are very few to no G5 teams that can compete with the very top of the P4 Conferences.

Fairness is a BS notion. College football isn’t fair at all. Put 12 teams that on their best day can actually win.

Liberty or Tulane on their best day could not come close to any of the 4 CFP teams in an actual playoff where the game mattered and there was no looking past the opponent.

We see enough 45-10 games as it is. Signing up for several in a CFP has zero appeal.

Of course the powers in college football understand that and there will be one G5 team in the CFP.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
What I find interesting is this board went nuts when GT lost to BG, a G5 team. GT was a 6-6 P5 team that really was not in the class of the 4 CFP teams. Now all of a sudden some want a bunch of BG type teams in the CFP.

There are very few to no G5 teams that can compete with the very top of the P4 Conferences.

Fairness is a BS notion. College football isn’t fair at all. Put 12 teams that on their best day can actually win.

Liberty or Tulane on their best day could not come close to any of the 4 CFP teams in an actual playoff where the game mattered and there was no looking past the opponent.

We see enough 45-10 games as it is. Signing up for several in a CFP has zero appeal.

Of course the powers in college football understand that and there will be one G5 team in the CFP.
BG won their conference?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

This is because they play FBS college football and this is the FBS championship we’re talking about. To say it’s an FBS championship and leave out their conference champ seems disingenuous to me when the field is large enough to accommodate all conf champs. I’m also an advocate of the regular season meaning something, and given that you cannot play 2-3 games per week in football, eliminating teams that have already lost out is necessary.