Conference Realignment

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This year, in my opinion, head-to-head did come in to play. They didn't put the mutts in over Alabama because of the championship game. Comparing those two teams, the mutts lost to Alabama. They didn't put FSU in because they couldn't get Alabama in over Texas, because of the head-to-head. If the mutts had won, I think it would have been mutts-Michigan-Washington-FSU. Texas would have been left out. Since Alabama beat the mutts, the only way to get Alabama in was to also have Texas in. The only way to get Texas in was to move FSU out. If there had been no head-to-head between Texas and Alabama, FSU and Alabama would have been in.

My biggest complaint is that Bill Hancock's committee has not been consistent, at least in their pronounced reasons for the rankings. One year better win is much more important than worse loss. Then the next year worse loss obviously excludes a team even if they had much better wins than the selected teams. Some times strength of schedule matters, then other times it isn't important if a team is undefeated. This year is the first time that I remember injury being a primary factor to exclude a team. It certainly appears that they decide who they think should be in and then they develop "reasons" for them being in as opposed to objectively looking at the teams and making rational decisions.

Next year the major conference champions will get in automatically. However, the rest of the field will be made up of mostly, if not completely, SEC and Big10 teams. It is still not a real "championship". It will still primarily be a beauty pageant.
You have stated well the bottom line and the absolute definitive version of how this went down. Nothing else needs be said.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The way I watch these games that I'm interested in, but don't want to spend all the time glued to the TV:
Record the game. Then about an hour after it starts, watch with fast forward. when an interesting play shows up, play that at normal speed. Double or triple though ads, and dumb play by play guys banter. Total time: about 45 minutes depending on the interesting plays.
That’s my method. Except most games I don’t even record but just watch highlights if the game warrants.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
All I know is I didn’t bother to watch the night game because the CFP has become loathsome to me. I watched rooting hard for Alabama to get beaten. I will not bother to watch the championship as I really don’t care.
They may have gotten two exciting games, but they also lost at least some viewers (well, one anyway) with their selection antics.
That said, screw FSU.
They got great games. FSU less Travis would not have stood up to any of the teams. FSU got screwed, however, the "fans" got better games than had FSU made the CFP. It will be interesting to see the TV ratings. I expect they will be very good. Bi name programs for 3 of the 4 teams and the FSU whining will have added viewers.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
They were good games and I enjoyed them, but that doesn't change the fact that a team that deserved to be there was left out.
The thought that occurred to me was that the FSU backup QB would probably have performed at least as well as the Michigan QB, who kept throwing the ball behind and over the head of his receivers.
At least we don't have to see a final between Texas and Alabama, so we can find out how many times Texas has to beat Alabama before the Longhorns knock them out of the playoffs.
The backup FSU QB would have been in way over his head. He was against Louisville and UL's defense is so far below either UM or UT's defense. The FSU backup QB transferred because he knew he had no chance to be FSU's starter next year. FSU was getting their starter from the Portal regardless if the backup stayed.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The backup FSU QB would have been in way over his head. He was against Louisville and UL's defense is so far below either UM or UT's defense. The FSU backup QB transferred because he knew he had no chance to be FSU's starter next year. FSU was getting their starter from the Portal regardless if the backup stayed.
The FSU backup didn't play against Louisville and im not quite sure he would have done worse than Milroe did against UM. Meanwhile FSU has a better defense than Bama. Personally, I think it would have been a really close game, especially if UM's special teams were the same level of special.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Because the lightbulb never goes on for QB's? he could have just as easily hit is stride in the playoffs. But we will never know. You keep taking the position that no one improves in bursts. We all know that is not true. we have seen so many QBs skill set jump when the game slows down for them. It just takes a few games of true live action playing with the rest of the starters

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My cornbread recipe (I'm the bread chef in our household) has 3/1 yellow corn meal and no sugar. Sugar is for the Yankees. I alternate between butter and bacon grease. But, I have an 8" iron skillet that has never held anything but cornbread in its almost 100 years of use. Thanks Mom. I have kept it pure in your and your mom's memory.
Why do they adulterate good cornbread by making it sweet? My wife does that. Cornbread is supposed to be a savory food item.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
They got great games. FSU less Travis would not have stood up to any of the teams. FSU got screwed, however, the "fans" got better games than had FSU made the CFP. It will be interesting to see the TV ratings. I expect they will be very good. Bi name programs for 3 of the 4 teams and the FSU whining will have added viewers.
Not sure I agree with this. I think FSU's defense was as good as any of the teams that played. I don't think the #2 QB goes into the portal until after the game if they're playing for the NC. I think FSU would have done as well as Alabama or UT, possibly better. I don't think anyone would have sat out or went into the portal if they were in the CFP.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I am going to take the contrary view. After last night's riveting finish, and an OT game earlier, how could anyone say the CFP got it wrong? Those were two of the best games I saw all season. We end up with the #1 and #2 seeds playing for the championship after well-earned, nail-biting, victories. I say we should put aside our anti-SEC emotions for a moment and just enjoy what we saw yesterday.
They were among the best games in quite awhile. And we get 1 v 2 in the final, so we've got that going for us.
1704220433290.png

BUT FSU got screwed, the ACC got screwed, and what happens on the field no longer really matters.

Why not skip the regular season, count up the number of 5-stars on each team and let the top 12 slug it out? ;)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That was the #3 QB. #2 QB was out with concussion protocol for Louisville. He would have been back for this game. That's the guy who beat UF. He went into the Portal before the game.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Because the lightbulb never goes on for QB's? he could have just as easily hit is stride in the playoffs. But we will never know. You keep taking the position that no one improves in bursts. We all know that is not true. we have seen so many QBs skill set jump when the game slows down for them. It just takes a few games of true live action playing with the rest of the starters
The games were great! First time both semifinal games were close. The CFP Committee clearly took the safe route leaving out FSU as they were very unknown after Travis' injury. FSU did get screwed. So what! The CFP got two great games that came down to the last play in both games. TV and fans got great games. Beats the heck out of what we have gotten for years in the semifinal games.

This is the last year of 4 teams. The semis were great. Mission accomplished. FSU can whine about not getting picked, wanting to leave the ACC and simply quitting before the Orange Bowl. Can anyone actually fell sorry for them? Not me!

Really happy UM and UW won!
That was the #3 QB. #2 QB was out with concussion protocol for Louisville. He would have been back for this game. That's the guy who beat UF.
Correct. He still stunk against a 5-7 UF team. Yes FSU got screwed. And the CFP got the excellent games they and the viewers were hoping for. Time for the FSU story to be put to bed.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, no sugar - yech. My mom also had a big black iron skillet just for cornbread. Wish I still had it. Wish I still had my mom, too.
I actually add a bit of sugar (2T for a typical batch), purely as a contrast to the pickled jalapeno juice (also about 2T) that I add to put some zing in my cheddar-jalapeno cornbread. Trust me, you will not sense any "sweetness" in one of my cornbread loafs.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I agree with this. I think FSU's defense was as good as any of the teams that played. I don't think the #2 QB goes into the portal until after the game if they're playing for the NC. I think FSU would have done as well as Alabama or UT, possibly better. I don't think anyone would have sat out or went into the portal if they were in the CFP.
Yes. FSU would have been a different team if they had something to play for. No doubt in my mind.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ran across a recipe many decades ago in Farmer’s Market Bulletin that called for sour cream and a small can of corn. It was very different from other variations I’ve tried but surprisingly good. Corn bread comes out very moist.

Another variation we occasionally had growing up was to put cracklings in the bread.

So many recipes so little time.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That was the third string QB. The backup (second string) would have been available for the playoff, had FSU been invited. He certainly wasn't in the portal at the time of the snub.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I actually think Rodemaker with a month to prepare as the #1 guy, and with plenty of time to tailor the offense to his strengths probably would have done a decent job. People forget that Milroe played terrible to start the season and got benched at one point. Guys can improve.