Conference Realignment

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Literally the entirety of college football has been like that for everyone except the people who actually played.

Heck, for Heisman, the guy whose name is all over our program, college football was so much about ME that he took a cut of the gate receipts and here people are complaining that the true spirit of college football is lost because players don’t want to risk injury in a completely meaningless game.
Bobby Dodd also, that is just part of how they got paid back then

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s super-unfortunate this whole thing didn’t play out in the 2024 season. Based on what I’m reading, the new uneven revenue sharing pushed by FSU and Clemson will be based on performance in postseason, revenue-generating events (I.e., bowl games).

It would be poetic if FSU’s players opted out of the game and they were dominated, so Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Duke, and whatever other ACC teams win their bowl games would find themselves with the lion’s share of the additional incentive revenue.

As it stands, FSU will probably lose, and then will argue that the upcoming change in revenue distribution (that they wanted) is further evidence that the ACC is screwing them over. Ah, well.

N.B. - I was not in favor of the proposed unequal revenue sharing for this reason, and many others. If a player wants to not play, they shouldn’t play. And if the team suffers as a result, their revenue shouldn’t suffer. But I’m just a fan, who looks for reasonable solutions that provide a more firm foundation for the future of the conference and college football as a whole, not for one school over the others.)
I’m not positive, but I think the revenue a school receives from a bowl game is the same whether you win or lose the bowl game. So, losing in the Orange Bowl with a $4m payout >>>>> the winning the Gasparilla Bowl with a $1.125m payout.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I’m not positive, but I think the revenue a school receives from a bowl game is the same whether you win or lose the bowl game. So, losing in the Orange Bowl with a $4m payout >>>>> the winning the Gasparilla Bowl with a $1.125m payout.
This is directionally correct, in that the revenue is associated with the bowl invite, not winning or losing. But to clarify, the revenue goes to the ACC. Winning or losing does not affect the revenue distribution to the schools. However starting next year the upper-tier (CFP and NY6) bowls yield a higher distribution for the participating schools, as I understand things.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Do the bowl game payouts go to the conferences or to the teams? I think they go to the conferences where the payouts to the schools differs by conference.

slugboy

Staff member
Do the bowl game payouts go to the conferences or to the teams? I think they go to the conferences where the payouts to the schools differs by conference.
Yes, and the unequal payouts start next season

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just a random thought...over the years I have heard the idea that we should drop Uga, make them part of a rotating group, play them early in the season, etc. I have been against that for tradition's sake. The game is part of the Thanksgiving weekend traditions. Now I think it shows we should keep it there as insurance. Because Uga never lets themselves slip as a program to 'meh" levels like UF, a win against them on the last weekend virtually assures us to never suffer the fate of an undefeated FSU in the future. They will always be enough of a "brand" name to carry weight on your resume, unlike FSU over UF, Clemson over SC, L'ville over KY, etc. Yes, you might say that I am a dreamer, But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you will join me. Etc. Etc.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just a random thought...over the years I have heard the idea that we should drop Uga, make them part of a rotating group, play them early in the season, etc. I have been against that for tradition's sake. The game is part of the Thanksgiving weekend traditions. Now I think it shows we should keep it there as insurance. Because Uga never lets themselves slip as a program to 'meh" levels like UF, a win against them on the last weekend virtually assures us to never suffer the fate of an undefeated FSU in the future. They will always be enough of a "brand" name to carry weight on your resume, unlike FSU over UF, Clemson over SC, L'ville over KY, etc. Yes, you might say that I am a dreamer, But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you will join me. Etc. Etc.
Imagine that

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm already there.

Y'know, FSU probably thought before the season started that they would be in for sure with an unblemished record, having scheduled Florida and LSU OOC.

Last edited:

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I really appreciate those with some legal expertice evaluating the situation. I, personally don't have a clue. Could someone give a BRIEF, 2 sentence summary, without opinions and conjecture. Brief please.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@57jacket I will share what I was told by someone with lots of legal experience (and a UNC law degree).

Unless the court in Florida rules against FSU and ends this quickly, the legal battle will last a very long time. It will no doubt be appealed by whichever side loses. It will be very expensive. So expensive that one or both sides will bargin for a settlement. That said, he thinks the court in Florida would love to not have this case and may rule they do not have jurisdiction.

He refused to predict a winner, saying "winning might be a ill-suited concept in this case."

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Given what oriental wrote above, this question is the for (any?) trial attorneys here: do attorneys such as the one retained by FSU give any consideration to the risk of a case (i.e the chance of a "winning" verdict)? or is the case (like the case with a P5 head FC nowadays) simply too lucrative to walk away from no matter how slim the chances for "success" (winning outcome for you and your firm) may be? I'll hang up and listen.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this fight becomes like the PGA and LIV. At some point, disruption and cost provides more aggravation than either side wants. However the big risk in this fight is whatever concessions are given to FSU will quickly be followed by several other ACC teams. I think the ACC will fight this hard. The big question which no one here has enough knowledge is what emails/agreements are behind the curtain. I can't believe FSU doesn't believe they had something at least questionable in the agreement before they started this fight.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Given what oriental wrote above, this question is the for (any?) trial attorneys here: do attorneys such as the one retained by FSU give any consideration to the risk of a case (i.e the chance of a "winning" verdict)? or is the case (like the case with a P5 head FC nowadays) simply too lucrative to walk away from no matter how slim the chances for "success" (winning outcome for you and your firm) may be? I'll hang up and listen.
I prosecute for govt wages, so take the opinion as such. Lawyers will represent for well paid interests to the best of their ability. Good lawyers will tell their clients the truth behind closed doors, and after cashing the retainer checks.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think this fight becomes like the PGA and LIV. At some point, disruption and cost provides more aggravation than either side wants. However the big risk in this fight is whatever concessions are given to FSU will quickly be followed by several other ACC teams. I think the ACC will fight this hard. The big question which no one here has enough knowledge is what emails/agreements are behind the curtain. I can't believe FSU doesn't believe they had something at least questionable in the agreement before they started this fight.
Lawyers don't like emails. They leave a record of conversations unless privileged communication and that doesn't seem to matter anymore.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Literally the entirety of college football has been like that for everyone except the people who actually played.

Heck, for Heisman, the guy whose name is all over our program, college football was so much about ME that he took a cut of the gate receipts and here people are complaining that the true spirit of college football is lost because players don’t want to risk injury in a completely meaningless game.

Keep preaching the truth. 👍

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Lawyers don't like emails. They leave a record of conversations unless privileged communication and that doesn't seem to matter anymore.
The amount of non-privileged stuff I’ve seen people say in emails thinking that “Privileged” in the subject line is a magic wand to hide EVERYTHING is shocking.