Conference Realignment

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He would not have been easily able to find a school to enroll in by Spring semester of 2024. As such he would not have been able to participate in Spring practice at his new school and would have to wait until Summer practice before starting with the new team. Is it possible for him to find a new team and start at the next school within 1 week? Sure it is possible, but is it likely? Rushed decisions are usually not the best decisions.

Also, according to the FSU fan boards, they are getting a highly rated QB transfer in. Not saying it definitely happened, but just suppose the FSU QB had a discussion with the coaches during which he was told that he is not the future of FSU football and he should look elsewhere. Under your idea of teamwork, should he still be required to delay his departure to play in the bowl game? Not saying you think this way, but there are a lot of fans who believe that when coaches push players out that they should leave immediately without any bad feeling but when players decide to leave on their own that they are traitors. Players can have their scholarships revoked any year. Players can be asked to leave for the good of the team. However, heaven forbid that any player actually tries to do what is in their best interest.
I have no problem with the FSU QB going into the Portal when he did. I used him as an illustration because you were talking about the time between the game and when the Portal closed (3 days). My point was that he could have played and had plenty of time to enter the portal. As for getting into school, there are plenty of schools that don't start until the 3rd or 4th week of January. My son starts on the 27th. I doubt any school starts before the 8th. So, if someone is organized, knows what they want, and wants to be there for spring, there's plenty of time. I personally don't see it as that big a deal.

slugboy

Staff member
TAMU opted out of gator bowl when they were down 40 (and FSU is currently down 38). I honestly don't see a reason FSU should play the game.
The last I saw, FSU was only down 24 (and that’s three more than the last time I looked)

Also, according to the FSU fan boards, they are getting a highly rated QB transfer in. Not saying it definitely happened, but just suppose the FSU QB had a discussion with the coaches during which he was told that he is not the future of FSU football and he should look elsewhere. Under your idea of teamwork, should he still be required to delay his departure to play in the bowl game? Not saying you think this way, but there are a lot of fans who believe that when coaches push players out that they should leave immediately without any bad feeling but when players decide to leave on their own that they are traitors. Players can have their scholarships revoked any year. Players can be asked to leave for the good of the team. However, heaven forbid that any player actually tries to do what is in their best interest.
I saw two, with DJU being the weaker of the two.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
This much is certain: FSU is definitely taking the headshots as the school leading the GOR fight against the ACC. There are several school that will benefit from this if FSU wins, however, from the sounds of it, FSU is the only one willing to put their head above the firing line.
Yes, I have a feeling that Clemson and a few others are secretly hoping FSU wins.

slugboy

Staff member
Not really sure personally, just was what was being said in the Reddit thread for the post you linked. I don’t really know the veracity.
It was over 40 players out for FSU AND UGA

At the time, it was 21 for FSU and about the same for UGA. Both teams have a lot of transfers and opt-outs—not just FSU

TA&M has about 38 out, last that I saw

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It was over 40 players out for FSU AND UGA

At the time, it was 21 for FSU and about the same for UGA. Both teams have a lot of transfers and opt-outs—not just FSU
CBS Sports said FSU is missing 15+ on both offense and defense. I saw elsewhere they're missing 14 starters including 7 all conference players. Almost 20 on the two-deep chart.

I think they are going to tough it out no matter what.

slugboy

Staff member
CBS Sports said FSU is missing 15+ on both offense and defense. I saw elsewhere they're missing 14 starters including 7 all conference players. Almost 20 on the two-deep chart.

I think they are going to tough it out no matter what.
Between both teams, you might be able to assemble a NY6 bowl team from the players sitting out or transferring

FSU is harder hit, though. UGA has more backups leaving

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
But what are the bowl games? Are they games to showcase college teams? Are they rewards to players for having a good season? Are they fun destinations for fans to go to in order to support their teams? Are the opportunities for players to play on TV? They used to be all of those things, but they are not any more. Now they are only TV content used to sell ads. ESPN owns almost half of all bowl games. Selections are not made based on performance of teams, they are made based solely on projected TV audiences. I have an affinity for bowl game history, but these are not the bowl games of the 1980s. These are not much better than reality TV shows with a sports theme.

For a player who wants to enter the NFL draft, what does the bowl game mean? There is almost no opportunity to improve draft status. There is an opportunity to be injured and lose millions of dollars. It isn't an opportunity to "band together with your brothers" for another game, it is only an opportunity to pad Disney's pockets.

For a player who is going to transfer, the transfer window closes very soon. Most of those guys would like to be at their new school the first or second week in January. To play in the Orange Bowl, under NCAA rules, a player couldn't talk to another team until he is in the portal. A player couldn't get into the portal until Sunday in that situation. The portal closes next Wednesday. The player would have to enter the portal, get offered by another team, and accept that offer in three days. Within a week from the game he would have to announce, get an offer, accept that offer, and move to the new school. I am not trying to say that all of the schools follow the rules. However, the timeline for transfers is set up in such a way that playing in a bowl game is problematic.

It is easy to blame the players. I think the college football machine has made the bowl games completely worthless. I think the players are simply reacting to the reality that the bowl games no longer mean anything. I take your statement as ignoring what ESPN has done to the bowl games. Ignoring what the CFP has done to the bowl games. Ignoring what coaches have done to the bowl games. And placing all of the blame for the bowl games not being what they once were on the players. The players playing today had nothing to do with what happened to the bowl games 10 years ago. They are only reacting to what the bowl games have become.
When you’re 13-0 it’s a chance to assert that you’re the best team in college football, that especially so since you were denied a slot in the “playoff.” We’re all entitled to our opinion, but if ever a meaningless exhibition game was NOT a meaningless exhibition, game this is it, or was it.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
When you’re 13-0 it’s a chance to assert that you’re the best team in college football, that especially so since you were denied a slot in the “playoff.” We’re all entitled to our opinion, but if ever a meaningless exhibition game was NOT a meaningless exhibition, game this is it, or was it.

Corona Showing Up GIF by INTO ACT!ON

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If FSU wins it will be because the mutts didn't care about the game and didn't show up. If the mutts win the game it will be because the SEC is clearly the best conference in the nation and the last place team in the SEC would trounce any team from any other conference. If you don't think that the media will ignore everything that hurts FSU and highlight everything that hurts the mutts, then I don't know how to discuss current college football with you. This game is meaningless. An FSU loss will be proof that FSU didn't deserve to be in the playoffs. An FSU win will not signify anything since the mutts had so many players not in the game. Plus even if FSU wins, there will be some stat that the media points to as proof that FSU couldn't have beaten Alabama.

It doesn't matter what happens in that game, the narrative will not change. My opinion, which is totally unsupported by any actual knowledge, is that FSU has given up on this season. The BOT is already looking towards the future and has taken all of the attention from this game away from their own fans. I think that it is likely that FSU is already processing players. If I am a player who is being processed off of the team, I am definitely not sticking around for the bowl game. If I am an NFL draft pick and the FSU BOT has publicly stated that FSU doesn't have a future in football until they get out of the ACC, I am not taking any risks on a game that the people in charge of FSU athletics have publicly abandoned.

The Orange Bowl should mean something, but that is just nostalgia from a college football fan in his mid-50s. College football is not what it was in the 80s. I keep repeating this, but I do not believe it is the players ruining college football. I think college football was ruined years ago and people my age and older refuse to accept that it isn't still what it was in the 90s and before. We blame the players, but the players were not even alive when college football was what we remember.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
For the Orange Bowl, I'm rooting for a 3-0 Vikings/Raiders barn burner, with lots of turnovers for extra profit breaks.
Thankfully, it will be played on Saturday afternoon when I could just give a tiny dump about watching either team non compete and will instead be reorganizing the washer and bolt collection on my workbench.

On the other hand, I was thoroughly entertained by South Alabama's complete dismantling of Eastern Michigan and the bar fight that followed. It was the most memorable 68 Ventures Bowl in recent memory.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am shedding no tears for either team.
Shedding no tears for either team but I am shedding tears for the demise of the bowl traditions. Other than Tech’s bowl game there are virtually no other games of any interest and most are a complete waste of time. I haven’t checked any scores in the last couple of days but I will be surprised if any of the games meant anything or were interesting in any way. And the Orange Bowl looks like it will be a complete joke.

Yeah, I’m sad about all this. This used to be a cool time of year for college football but I’m really losing interest.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If FSU wins it will be because the mutts didn't care about the game and didn't show up. If the mutts win the game it will be because the SEC is clearly the best conference in the nation and the last place team in the SEC would trounce any team from any other conference. If you don't think that the media will ignore everything that hurts FSU and highlight everything that hurts the mutts, then I don't know how to discuss current college football with you. This game is meaningless. An FSU loss will be proof that FSU didn't deserve to be in the playoffs. An FSU win will not signify anything since the mutts had so many players not in the game. Plus even if FSU wins, there will be some stat that the media points to as proof that FSU couldn't have beaten Alabama.

It doesn't matter what happens in that game, the narrative will not change. My opinion, which is totally unsupported by any actual knowledge, is that FSU has given up on this season. The BOT is already looking towards the future and has taken all of the attention from this game away from their own fans. I think that it is likely that FSU is already processing players. If I am a player who is being processed off of the team, I am definitely not sticking around for the bowl game. If I am an NFL draft pick and the FSU BOT has publicly stated that FSU doesn't have a future in football until they get out of the ACC, I am not taking any risks on a game that the people in charge of FSU athletics have publicly abandoned.

The Orange Bowl should mean something, but that is just nostalgia from a college football fan in his mid-50s. College football is not what it was in the 80s. I keep repeating this, but I do not believe it is the players ruining college football. I think college football was ruined years ago and people my age and older refuse to accept that it isn't still what it was in the 90s and before. We blame the players, but the players were not even alive when college football was what we remember.
💯percent

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
So you’re going to quit when you get knocked down? Not a good life lesson.

I know, I’m old fashioned. CFB isn’t about life lessons anymore. It’s about ME.
Literally the entirety of college football has been like that for everyone except the people who actually played.

Heck, for Heisman, the guy whose name is all over our program, college football was so much about ME that he took a cut of the gate receipts and here people are complaining that the true spirit of college football is lost because players don’t want to risk injury in a completely meaningless game.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s super-unfortunate this whole thing didn’t play out in the 2024 season. Based on what I’m reading, the new uneven revenue sharing pushed by FSU and Clemson will be based on performance in postseason, revenue-generating events (I.e., bowl games).

It would be poetic if FSU’s players opted out of the game and they were dominated, so Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Duke, and whatever other ACC teams win their bowl games would find themselves with the lion’s share of the additional incentive revenue.

As it stands, FSU will probably lose, and then will argue that the upcoming change in revenue distribution (that they wanted) is further evidence that the ACC is screwing them over. Ah, well.

N.B. - I was not in favor of the proposed unequal revenue sharing for this reason, and many others. If a player wants to not play, they shouldn’t play. And if the team suffers as a result, their revenue shouldn’t suffer. But I’m just a fan, who looks for reasonable solutions that provide a more firm foundation for the future of the conference and college football as a whole, not for one school over the others.)