Conference Realignment

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
‘m skeptical that that UNcheat actually wants out, they probably just want more money. The mercenary spirit of today runs thick.
Probably true. We'll never know, but I think if F$U had taken the high road and worked within the ACC, that some form of unequal revenue sharing could have been worked out. They already got "keep what you kill" for postseason. IMO, some form of "pay for performance" could have been done. Once they went public and playing the @$$, any chance of compromise was gone.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Probably true. We'll never know, but I think if F$U had taken the high road and worked within the ACC, that some form of unequal revenue sharing could have been worked out. They already got "keep what you kill" for postseason. IMO, some form of "pay for performance" could have been done. Once they went public and playing the @$$, any chance of compromise was gone.
To h--l with compromise, s---w negotiation, demand every red cent they CONTRACTED to pay to leave. Bridges burned

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
To h--l with compromise, s---w negotiation, demand every red cent they CONTRACTED to pay to leave. Bridges burned
There is a guy who does legal analysis on Twitter (so not the most respectable media) who was surprised at a lot in the FSU filing. He especially pointed out that FSU listed the ACC buyout as $570 million including the GOR. His statement was along the lines of -- If FSU loses and goes to court to try to get the buyout reduced, they have already made a sworn statement in a court filing that the amount is $570 million. It seems to me that they are filing the lawsuit as an emotional and "get support from fans" type thing. They are potentially harming themselves in the long run with the admissions they made in their filing.

slugboy

Staff member
There is a guy who does legal analysis on Twitter (so not the most respectable media) who was surprised at a lot in the FSU filing. He especially pointed out that FSU listed the ACC buyout as $570 million including the GOR. His statement was along the lines of -- If FSU loses and goes to court to try to get the buyout reduced, they have already made a sworn statement in a court filing that the amount is $570 million. It seems to me that they are filing the lawsuit as an emotional and "get support from fans" type thing. They are potentially harming themselves in the long run with the admissions they made in their filing.
I haven’t read the lawsuit, but I have heard there are spelling mistakes in it.

If I was an ACC lawyer, I would argue $570 million was the MINIMUM, and that FSU was providing a conservative estimate.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
They are potentially harming themselves in the long run with the admissions they made in their filing.
Nothing about this had made any sense for quite a while. They've filed a lawsuit that they can't win - their only hope is that there's something that ACC wants to hide that would come out in discovery and they'll get a negotiated reduction in the cost of exiting. If this goes to trial, it will end up in Federal District Court in Atlanta and there's no way a federal judge will blow up a GOR, IMO.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t read the lawsuit, but I have heard there are spelling mistakes in it.

If I was an ACC lawyer, I would argue $570 million was the MINIMUM, and that FSU was providing a conservative estimate.
Well, hopefully they actually hired a law firm to file instead of getting their Twitter fans to write the documents. If they actually paid lawyers for file a lawsuit that has spelling errors, then maybe they should sue their lawyers for misrepresentation instead of suing the ACC.

The point the guy on Twitter was making about the $570 million is that FSU has filed a sworn document in court that agrees to $570 million as the buyout amount. If they lose the current lawsuit, which most lawyers I have seen react to it say they should, then they have already agreed, in court, to $570 million as a buyout amount. I am not a lawyer, but what I got from him is that it will be difficult to make a legal argument that the amount is smaller after swearing to the court that the amount is $570 million.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, hopefully they actually hired a law firm to file instead of getting their Twitter fans to write the documents. If they actually paid lawyers for file a lawsuit that has spelling errors, then maybe they should sue their lawyers for misrepresentation instead of suing the ACC.
I'm guessing that any decent law firm that was requested to file such a lame attempt at getting out of a contract has probably gotten a general release from their client. Of course, it is Florida....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really wish all the other teams could file lawsuit against FSU for not honoring the contract they all signed and slander.

and if I was the ACC commissioner i would send them (FSU) a letter to inform them I am holding their revenue till this was settled.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
So, games at the beginning of the season do not really count. Gotcha.
The only reason Alabama beat Auburn is because the Tigers rushed two down lineman and the nose guard danced solo at the 30 yard line. No pressure on the QB.

If the refs called the game, the TD would have been called back. The center was a yard past the line of scrimmage when the pass was thrown.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Dear F$U
chappelle-14.png

slugboy

Staff member
Oof...this means FSU is down to their 3rd string QB. FSU better get all the run they can out of "We want out of the ACC" because after the UGA game, the jokes will come like the Great Flood.

That family feeling just doesn’t seem to be there. It looks mercenary over at FSU. :wideyed:

He could at go into the portal and use the Orange Bowl as a showcase. Instead, he’s headed straight for the exit. Other players too

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Somewhat shocking that they didn’t come together as an us-against-the-world thing and come back hard next year too.

The difference from the Bowden era is stark: “let’s do what will give us the best chance to win titles” has turned into let’s try to get the biggest paycheck possible and fold at the first sign of adversity.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That family feeling just doesn’t seem to be there. It looks mercenary over at FSU. :wideyed:

He could at go into the portal and use the Orange Bowl as a showcase. Instead, he’s headed straight for the exit. Other players too
I don't personally blame the FSU players at all. They were just flatly told that the games they played this year didn't matter. Its hard to convince them that this last one does. In reality it doesn't. The ones that have future plans that don't involve staying at FSU have no reason to play in this debacle. Rodemaker in general is watching FSU put the full court press on Cam Ward and DJU right now. He pretty much has to leave if he wants to play next year. Half of his team has already announced they aren't playing in the game. What exactly is he playing for?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Somewhat shocking that they didn’t come together as an us-against-the-world thing and come back hard next year too.

The difference from the Bowden era is stark: “let’s do what will give us the best chance to win titles” has turned into let’s try to get the biggest paycheck possible and fold at the first sign of adversity.
I think they would have been all in if they were in the playoffs. But since they were cheated out of that they’ve already accomplished their perfect season and there’s nothing left to play for. Pretty predictable that players would head to the exits.

Uga looked for awhile like they were headed the same way but someone had a word with the players. Hanging together for the sake of the SEC hasn’t quit being a thing yet, even with portal and NIL. Meanwhile the ACC has never hung together.