Conference Realignment

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I just think there’s a 0% chance FSU without Travis beats Michigan, Alabama, or Georgia in a conference championship game.
With their defense, FSU without Travis would be about a two-TD underdog. Have you ever heard of a two-TD underdog winning a game before?
(Hint: Georgia Tech has won as a three-TD underdog three times in the last two years).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know this is true. The QB thing is an excuse. Even with Travis healthy the lure of a 1-loss Bama who had just beaten the #1 team would be strong, with many advocates. I don’t think It’s clear at all the FSU would have been there.
There would have been some other excuse. It's pretty clear the SEC champ was going to be there come hell or high water.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Do you think the ACC in football has been on par with the SRC for the past 20 years?

As was said earlier no one cares about the lower 2/3rds if any Conference.

Yes GT would have been screwed just like in 1990.
I don’t think this is true either. The middle of the conference is the bulk of the games that make up the SOS and The Narrative.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t know this is true. The QB thing is an excuse. Even with Travis healthy the lure of a 1-loss Bama who had just beaten the #1 team would be strong, with many advocates. I don’t think It’s clear at all the FSU would have been there.

FSU's best win was against the SEC's 4th best team. That had to have been a factor as well.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
But because it’s FSU it’s ok
Yes.
Ice Hockey Dancing GIF by Carolina Hurricanes

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
So the CFP committee is basically saying, the SEC’s 4th best team is sh*t? Why does ‘Bama get ’SEC just means more’ creds for beating that team, while FSU gets dissed for beating them?
The CFP committee isn't saying that. They have said the decision was about getting the "best teams" in the playoff, not the teams with the "best resume". I'm not necessarily agreeing with them on their criteria, but their statements tie logically to their conclusion. FSU without Travis was not considered to be top 4.

This point has been discussed on this board ad nauseam.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
It’s a long story but the short version is that Carson was never loved by the Dodd devotees and players hated him. He made Tech go to the Peach Bowl in a year the players just wanted to go home to families for Christmas and forget a disappointing season. The players decided to make a mockery of the bowl game and teach Carson a lesson. I was at the game (driving rain storm and muddy field) sitting near one of the end zones. A Tech player had a sure interception in the end zone but pretended to fumble it and just kind of handed it to a Mississippi receiver for an Ole Miss touchdown. It was awful to watch and we left before the game ended. Carson was fired shortly after the game.
Disappointing. I have a hard time believing anything bad about someone whose last name is Carson.

;)

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
With their defense, FSU without Travis would be about a two-TD underdog. Have you ever heard of a two-TD underdog winning a game before?
(Hint: Georgia Tech has won as a three-TD underdog three times in the last two years).
Ok so not 0%. But would you pick a 2-TD underdog over the “overdog” of Alabama in that matchup?

Some of you don’t believe they wouldn’t get in anyway, that’s fine, it’s an unprovable point.

But it’s not unreasonable to disagree with that assumption.

If GT had won the ACC 16 of the past 32 years, went undefeated, was ranked inside the top 4 until the only ranking that mattered came out I don’t think there is any poster here who would say GT deserved to be left out. But because it’s FSU it’s ok. All I’m trying to make some of you realize is that they will do much worse to an ACC school like GT. I could throw out scenarios but why. You guys are in your witch trial mode so there is no reason. Your conference champ just went undefeated and the SEC/ESPN partnership came onto our property and took money out of your pocket. And many of you are happy about it. Just wait until we have a good year, beat UGA, and drop out of the top 12 invite list so a Miss St or Nebraska can get in. I’ll be here reminding you that once you give their scheming acceptance they are only emboldened. This year it’s FSU. Eventually, it will be us.

16 out of 32 sounds a lot better than 4 out of 16 or 1 out of 9, huh? Nothing more than 16 years ago means much today.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This all started when in 2012 the conferences decided to make an invitational instead of a tournament of champions.
It has never been a tournament of champions, since the BCS was initiated it has been an invite only game(s) based on opinion! It's just a different group whos opinion counts now.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
FSU was left out because they lost their QB and weren’t as good in games 12-13 as they were in earlier games. If he’s healthy, they’re in. He’s hurt, they’re out. It’s that simple. 🤷🏽‍♂️
I agree, but every year they will have something to use. The difference is they NEVER use them against an SEC team.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ok so not 0%. But would you pick a 2-TD underdog over the “overdog” of Alabama in that matchup?
Don't know. Isn't relevant. FSU deserves to be in the CFP based on their unblemished record. Alabama was, or should have been, already eliminated from the field by Texas.
If you don't reward those who deserve to get in, you cheapen the process and the result.

"I think we have a problem, and the problem is this: we're making judgments inside this room on what we think is going to happen on the field," McFarland said.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding Raycom, if FSU signed the agreement in good faith, and that faith can be shown to have been betrayed, then I guess they would have a case.
Regarding ESPN and 2027, I don't see how that affects the GOR. The GOR says nothing about the source of the media money.
Unless it can be shown the ACC acted in bad faith, I don't see how FSU has a case.
The commissioner has a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interests of the member institutions. If it is proven in court that the commissioner either pushed the conference into contracts that enriched his family members or concealed material facts about the financial stability of the conference, then it's likely that a judge could find that the commissioner had breached this fiduciary responsibility. Once that is established, it's not a very big leap for the judge to release plaintiffs from their contractual obligations.
It should be noted that public statements by attorneys are not required to be(and often aren't) truthful, but if these two are, then they are ticking time bombs that could blow up the ACC and I would predict that there is no way the ACC lets this go to trial. Best case scenario is that they cut a deal with F$U for a reduced exit fee. Worst case, if this goes to trial and the above comes to pass, then the ACC is finished. With the precedent set, disgruntled member institution attorneys will be lined up on the courthouse steps with "me too" briefs...
Lots of "ifs" in the above, but until I read this, I was sure that the lawsuit was just more PR bluster from the Noles. These two items could be real trouble for the ACC.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
If we are adding schools…add Oregon State and Washington State for a West Coast arm to go with Stanford and California. Note: I would not add anything at this point.
I agree. Add those two. They can’t sit around and pout. Fight! The ACC can survive, but they need to start making plans . If not, they will end up just like the PAC 12.

I know there’s a lot going on behind the scenes that none of us know about. This might all be for nothing, or they are already fighting for their lives and looking for replacement schools.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
16 out of 32 sounds a lot better than 4 out of 16 or 1 out of 9, huh? Nothing more than 16 years ago means much today.
Dude, they’ve won the conference half the time they’ve been in the darn thing. You can dismiss that if you want to because it’s so old (kind of like our ancient Natties we have banners for in our stadium that don’t mean a darn thing according to your view). Then look at this year. They didn’t lose a game even without their starting QB. Listen, I’m not a FSU fan, but what happened to them will bite everyone in this conference at some point so just get ready. But, in reality this conference is in a death spiral so we’ll be out soon. Just wait until you see how the committee screws the ACC in late April when we get 5 bids and the SEC gets 9. And then see who hosts the regionals and super regionals. The die has been cast and this dying conference has been purged by the media.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The commissioner has a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interests of the member institutions. If it is proven in court that the commissioner either pushed the conference into contracts that enriched his family members or concealed material facts about the financial stability of the conference, then it's likely that a judge could find that the commissioner had breached this fiduciary responsibility. Once that is established, it's not a very big leap for the judge to release plaintiffs from their contractual obligations.
It should be noted that public statements by attorneys are not required to be(and often aren't) truthful, but if these two are, then they are ticking time bombs that could blow up the ACC and I would predict that there is no way the ACC lets this go to trial. Best case scenario is that they cut a deal with F$U for a reduced exit fee. Worst case, if this goes to trial and the above comes to pass, then the ACC is finished. With the precedent set, disgruntled member institution attorneys will be lined up on the courthouse steps with "me too" briefs...
Lots of "ifs" in the above, but until I read this, I was sure that the lawsuit was just more PR bluster from the Noles. These two items could be real trouble for the ACC.
I don't disagree with any of that iffing. I'm no lawyer but it would seem that if what is alleged about an under the table deal is substantiated by a preponderance of the evidence, it will be the end of the GOR and the end of the ACC. If not, the ACC will stick by its guns, beat FSU in court, and hold the conference together until at least the early 2030's. I guess we're going to find out.