Conference Realignment

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s a bit interesting that no other schools are joining the suit.

Could be FSU has a future home and nobody else who otherwise would (like Clemson?) has been able to line one up.

Could be nobody else thinks they have a great shot at avoiding a multi-hundred-million payout and so just wants to watch from the sidelines for now.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Could be FSU has a future home and nobody else who otherwise would (like Clemson?) has been able to line one up.

Could be nobody else thinks they have a great shot at avoiding a multi-hundred-million payout and so just wants to watch from the sidelines for now.
What incentive does any other school have to join the lawsuit. Let FSU bear the burden of the cost and if they win then any other school can easily do as they please.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We'd be admitted at the maximum allowed by the current TV contract. Then, when the new contract was negotiated, we'd get a full share.
Why does GT bring Athletic value to a conference well before any TV contract can be renegotiated? Even then the way cable is declining there is no guarantee that GT/Atlanta bring much more value than what the B1G already has for TV contracts. Most indications are that UNC and UVA are of more value to the B1G than GT. The SEC dominates the State of Georgia. That isn't going to change. NC and VA are ripe for the B1G to dominate TV markets as the SEC doesn't have a footprint there.

Who knows for sure. My view is that currently GT is not in a very good place right now regarding Athletics and TV.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Maybe they are wanting others to join them as class action.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why does GT bring Athletic value to a conference well before any TV contract can be renegotiated? Even then the way cable is declining there is no guarantee that GT/Atlanta bring much more value than what the B1G already has for TV contracts. Most indications are that UNC and UVA are of more value to the B1G than GT. The SEC dominates the State of Georgia. That isn't going to change. NC and VA are ripe for the B1G to dominate TV markets as the SEC doesn't have a footprint there.

Who knows for sure. My view is that currently GT is not in a very good place right now regarding Athletics and TV.
Because that is the way the contracts were written. The B1G isn't going to rape a team they're bringing into the fold just because they potentially can. That would be stupid and harbor ill will. The contracts were written to facilitate bringing onboard additional P5 teams mid-contract. It's not a full share of the TV contract because there are different aspects to the contract that don't have that clause.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If our AD and president believed that we’d be better off leaving the ACC, we probably wouldn’t have voted 3 new teams in, and a reasonable person in that situation would be in that gang of schools looking for an exit a year or two ago—we weren’t.

Our public actions as a school don’t align with a school that would be better served in moving
We couldn't leave for the same reason FSU has. If we could have, we would have. If the GOR blows up, I believe that we will end up yhe BIG. Period

stech81

Helluva Engineer
stepping back for a moment...

Do we actually care whether the ACC survives or not? It's not like Tech was a founding member of the conference. Or that it's even the best conference for us in the long run. If there was NO GoR, how many schools would still be sporting ACC logos on their jerseys?

So, if the ACC member schools were to vote to disband this afternoon, wouldn't most (if not all) have announced new homes by Tuesday?
Ask Washington State and Oregon State.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Tbh, I've lost interest in all the drama.

Whatever happens (and most likely it will be at least 4-5 years before all the lawsuits are settled or tried), Tech will wind up in a much better spot than we were in from '67 till the early 80s. No conference home, poor crowds except when we played an SEC opponent, apathy, and no reason for hope. It won't be that bad again.

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
I am GT fan and alumni. I think you guys are overly optimistic though thinking we will get an offer from the B1G when this conference finally crumbles. You guys hang your hats too much on our location in Atlanta. Do you think that really matters? Do you think Vanderbilt’s location in Nashville matters or Northwestern’s in Chicago?

I don’t. It’s all about brand value and that we simply do not have. The only players left on the table are UNC and potentially Clemson. I live in Charlotte. Both have a large presence here but it has nothing to do with location it’s only about alumni size and ability to donate money to a program. Neither of which we have a lot of currently.

I love GT and I will watch the team and pull for them tonight and as long as I live. The reality is though the ACC as currently setup is the best home for GT. If it crumbles, I don’t see us getting an invite to either the B1G or SEC. Even if we did, we would not be competitive in either of those conferences full stop.

At that point, realistically, merging the remnants of the ACC with the B12 is probably where we are heading… I really don’t see it otherwise but again I could be wrong.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am GT fan and alumni. I think you guys are overly optimistic though thinking we will get an offer from the B1G when this conference finally crumbles. You guys hang your hats too much on our location in Atlanta. Do you think that really matters? Do you think Vanderbilt’s location in Nashville matters or Northwestern’s in Chicago?

I don’t. It’s all about brand value and that we simply do not have. The only players left on the table are UNC and potentially Clemson. I live in Charlotte. Both have a large presence here but it has nothing to do with location it’s only about alumni size and ability to donate money to a program. Neither of which we have a lot of currently.

I love GT and I will watch the team and pull for them tonight and as long as I live. The reality is though the ACC as currently setup is the best home for GT. If it crumbles, I don’t see us getting an invite to either the B1G or SEC. Even if we did, we would not be competitive in either of those conferences full stop.

At that point, realistically, merging the remnants of the ACC with the B12 is probably where we are heading… I really don’t see it otherwise but again I could be wrong.
Rutgers, BIG ??? Reason ??

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
And how has Rutgers done in the Big10?

At this point, the BIG10 and SEC would surely dump Vandy, Northwestern, and Rutgers at the first chance to get brands like FSU and UNC. They simply bring more brand value/money to the pie.

Not talking academics. That has simply gone out the window….

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how visiting FSU teams are treated within the ACC, particularly basketball. The fans may have some fun with this.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Because that is the way the contracts were written. The B1G isn't going to rape a team they're bringing into the fold just because they potentially can. That would be stupid and harbor ill will. The contracts were written to facilitate bringing onboard additional P5 teams mid-contract. It's not a full share of the TV contract because there are different aspects to the contract that don't have that clause.
Understand how TV contracts are written. I just don’t see GT as being a high value school to add. Lots of athletic debt. Very poor fan support. No Regional/National relevance in the revenue sports. That could change a few years down the road.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Understand how TV contracts are written. I just don’t see GT as being a high value school to add. Lots of athletic debt. Very poor fan support. No Regional/National relevance in the revenue sports. That could change a few years down the road.
What I'm hoping for.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Atlanta would be a big fish for the B1G to land. There are only four current TV markets larger than Atlanta with B1G teams. GT doesn't add anything to the SEC contract because they already have Atlanta.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Atlanta would be a big fish for the B1G to land. There are only four current TV markets larger than Atlanta with B1G teams. GT doesn't add anything to the SEC contract because they already have Atlanta.
That's what I've been saying. Has little to do with our sport ratings. BIG added Rutgers for same TV eyeball reasons.