Conference Realignment

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if that first paragraph of the ACC statement is signaling possible ACC sanctions/fines against FSU when their lawsuit fails.
They ought to at least recoup the ACC lawyers' fees incurred by FSU's frivolous lawsuit.
They are quite welcome to leave the conference, but they'll be obliged to leave their media money at the door upon their ill-conceived egress.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
stepping back for a moment...

Do we actually care whether the ACC survives or not? It's not like Tech was a founding member of the conference. Or that it's even the best conference for us in the long run. If there was NO GoR, how many schools would still be sporting ACC logos on their jerseys?

So, if the ACC member schools were to vote to disband this afternoon, wouldn't most (if not all) have announced new homes by Tuesday?

slugboy

Staff member

Do we actually care whether the ACC survives or not? It's not like Tech was a founding member of the conference. Or that it's even the best conference for us in the long run. If there was NO GoR, how many schools would still be sporting ACC logos on their jerseys?

So, if the ACC member schools were to vote to disband this afternoon, wouldn't most (if not all) have announced new homes by Tuesday?
Last year, we would be lucky to get a Big 12 invite, and could easily be looking at the AAC.

Look at the PAC 12 last year. Two teams had nowhere to go. The others took partial payments. ESPN and Fox had contracts that would allow for expansion. This year may not have even last year’s flexibility.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year, we would be lucky to get a Big 12 invite, and could easily be looking at the AAC.

Look at the PAC 12 last year. Two teams had nowhere to go. The others took partial payments. ESPN and Fox had contracts that would allow for expansion. This year may not have even last year’s flexibility.
The BIG would love to get us.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think alot of fans are overestimating what they think their favorite program is worth.
WA and OR got $30M to go to the B1G. Do you think B1G is going to pay more than that for GT.
GT (and most schools) are unlikely to make more by going to the B1G or SEC than they are right now over the next decade.

GT could end up in the B1G - but I would bet that it wouldn't be for any more than it gets from the ACC today.
I would make that same bet for almost any school that wanted to leave the ACC or B12. The CBS Sports article yesterday said that industry sources said no ACC school would get a full share in the P2.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I don't care as long as Tech has a major conference landing place, but hopeful as I am of that, I don't think it's assured at this point.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting, ACC filed a pre-emptive lawsuit in Mecklenburg County yesterday. Trying to set North Carolina for the venue. My money is still on federal district court in Atlanta.

This just tells me that the ACC was ready for this eventuality and isn't going to play nice with FSU. This is going to take time and millions of dollars to resolve.

There are alot of interests here that will want the status quo - including both ESPN and FOX. Do you think either wants GoR's to be found unenforceable. That basically puts them in a 'transfer portal' situation for their media content where they don't know year to year what they are going to broadcast -which is going to cause all sorts of issues with trying to do deals with conferences.
In all likelihood it could mean the end of conferences as we have known them.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They don’t have a leg to stand on. I can’t see any federal court (in North Carolina especially) siding with them. It seems they are just hoping to get the 572 million number reduced to 60% like Maryland did.
Maryland left with an exit fee before GOR. They forced the ACC to sue them and then settled with a reduced exit fee.
The FSU suit is typical and only the lawyers make out in the end. Maybe their thought is to create so much animosity that the ACC will want them to leave.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

The ACC isn't going to survive, its just a matter of when it will die. I think our program is probably more attractive now than it will be in 2036 staying in the ACC. Therefore my vote is to blow this thing up as soon as possible and try to secure a spot for the future.

slugboy

Staff member
The BIG would love to get us.
If our AD and president believed that we’d be better off leaving the ACC, we probably wouldn’t have voted 3 new teams in, and a reasonable person in that situation would be in that gang of schools looking for an exit a year or two ago—we weren’t.

Our public actions as a school don’t align with a school that would be better served in moving

snocap1

Georgia Tech Fan
At somepoint, will there be a settlement and a parting of ways:
What will be the actual solution for the other acc institutions?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think alot of fans are overestimating what they think their favorite program is worth.
WA and OR got $30M to go to the B1G. Do you think B1G is going to pay more than that for GT.
GT (and most schools) are unlikely to make more by going to the B1G or SEC than they are right now over the next decade.

GT could end up in the B1G - but I would bet that it wouldn't be for any more than it gets from the ACC today.
I would make that same bet for almost any school that wanted to leave the ACC or B12. The CBS Sports article yesterday said that industry sources said no ACC school would get a full share in the P2.
My understanding is that Washington and Oregon got the equal share allowed by the TV contract when the B1G were to add teams. Not all aspects of the new B1G contract had a contingency for adding new teams before the end of the contract, but some aspects did. If GT (or any other P5 team) went to the B1G before the end of the B1G contract ended, they'd get the same payout as Washington and Oregon (there might have been some travel costs for existing schools, like with Stanford and Cal, but I don't think there was). Once the contracts are up for renegotiation (2031?), all members or prospective members at that time would get an equal share. This is my take.