Conference Realignment

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure if this was share but an article about FSU and others desire to leave the ACC

In case you are wondering how this is being received by other ACC schools

I think most of the ACC schools are over the FSU whining.
If they wanted to pay their 1/2 billion dollars and leave (which the ESPN article makes clear they don't really have) most of the ACC schools would not shed a tear.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My sister-in-law and her husband are FSU grads. I have not talked to them about FSU leaviing the ACC until today. I shared a tweet with referencing this and got a criptic reply. "If the Noles remain in the ACC it won't be because they can't afford the buyout." She told me after Jimbo left that FSU had a ton of very rich boosters.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My sister-in-law and her husband are FSU grads. I have not talked to them about FSU leaviing the ACC until today. I shared a tweet with referencing this and got a criptic reply. "If the Noles remain in the ACC it won't be because they can't afford the buyout." She told me after Jimbo left that FSU had a ton of very rich boosters.
Yeah - well wake me when they pay the half billion.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
As my wife and I start to pack for our 9-hour drive to Tampa, I was encouraged by the previous posts concerning the Academic profiles of GT and the ACC.

Then, I was encouraged further by an article from the AJC.

This article details the GSR (Graduation Success Rate) of the school in Athens versus the GSR for the Jackets. Score is GT 88---UGA 41. This comparison is for the Academic year 2022-23. UGA ranked 259 out of 260 Division 1 Football programs for this year. According to the article, they were also last in the SEC for the last 3 years. This article also shows the rankings for the last 9 years and compares UGA to GT, Georgia State and Georgia Southern.

I guess this reminds me of what GT is all about--Strong Academics and Strong Athletics.......as difficult that may be to accomplish!

I suspect that Coach Dodd would be proud of Tech's standing in this particular comparison.

I have attached one of the pages from the article which shows the 9-year comparison.

Attachments

• Georgia Football GSR.pdf
    583.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This is behind a paywall, but basically restates a lot of FSU/ACC history related to them wanting to leave. The key point? They want to be gone in 8 months.

My son wants the giant Lego star destroyer in the next 2 weeks. But unfortunately, he made some choices (spending his money elsewhere) that have precluded him from getting it.

I’m interested to see what FSU tries to do to get out of the GOR and the exit fee that they agreed to. Indications are it's pretty rock-solid. And even if they do have a ton of "rich boosters" like they claim, you can buy a lot of NIL with $500-750MM.

Regardless, until they try it, it’s all sound and fury, signifying nothing. Reminds me of when my son was a 3 year-old, candidly. He thought if he was loud enough, he would automatically get his way. We had to be firm in convincing him that the real world doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
My son wants the giant Lego star destroyer in the next 2 weeks. But unfortunately, he made some choices (spending his money elsewhere) that have precluded him from getting it.

I’m interested to see what FSU tries to do to get out of the GOR and the exit fee that they agreed to. Indications are it's pretty rock-solid. And even if they do have a ton of "rich boosters" like they claim, you can buy a lot of NIL with $500-750MM.

Regardless, until they try it, it’s all sound and fury, signifying nothing. Reminds me of when my son was a 3 year-old, candidly. He thought if he was loud enough, he would automatically get his way. We had to be firm in convincing him that the real world doesn't work that way.
Somewhat devil's advocate, but they can spend 500 mil on NIL, and then what? Go undefeated?
They see what that got them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yeah - well wake me when they pay the half billion.
The acc cut a deal with ESPN guys THAT INCLUDED FSU.
Failure to provide FSU games could be a MATERIAL BREACH OF THAT CONTRACT.
ESPN is running low on AD $ so they may take a hard stance on ANY Reduction in the TV product. At that point ESPN could reduce payments and say take it or sue me.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The acc cut a deal with ESPN guys THAT INCLUDED FSU.
Failure to provide FSU games could be a MATERIAL BREACH OF THAT CONTRACT.
ESPN is running low on AD $ so they may take a hard stance on ANY Reduction in the TV product. At that point ESPN could reduce payments and say take it or sue me.
Seeing as how it was aEcSPN that engineered leaving F$U out, maybe they’re tampering?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If FSU boosters are willing to immediately throw $500 million in the ring to get out of the ACC, then why are they concerned about being behind other teams in revenue a measly $50 million per year? I mean, just have those boosters kick in an extra $50 million per year, and FSU is on a level playing field with the teams they say they are currently behind.

Also, if they had boosters willing to throw that money out there, then why were they discussing taking out a $500 million loan earlier this year? I wear Gold/White colored glasses, but I do have at least some idea of what reality is.