Conference Realignment

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Meant to finish with the thought that lots of people seem to enjoy the idea of ACC chaos. Wish we were not in a conference that gets kicked around so much by sports media.
It is not the ACC really…. Although it feels that way. We are just the next one in the crosshairs as the mindless masses cheer on the SEC and BiG in their quest for world domination.
It was the Big East… and after the dust settled and they restructured, all eyes went to the Big 12.
The Big 12 was the one on “life support” and in danger of demise… it seemed their only saving grace was that the BiG and SEC had already pillaged all they wanted. Plot twist! PAC refuses to kiss the ring, fumbles the media deal, goes down in flames and the b12 pulls “choice” schools from the fire. Now all of a sudden the B12 is the third “national conference” in the minds of aforementioned mindless masses.
Next up? The ACC must die so that college football can ascend to its rightful position of greatness. Hence, they’re all waiting in joyful expectation for the BiG and SEC to eventually eat their fill and everyone will cheer and laugh at the desperate overtures to the B12 from the remaining homeless ACC peons.
Everyone I know chastises the media for their “if it bleeds it leads” mentality, but there is a reason for it. We eat that sh** up!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It is not the ACC really…. Although it feels that way. We are just the next one in the crosshairs as the mindless masses cheer on the SEC and BiG in their quest for world domination.
It was the Big East… and after the dust settled and they restructured, all eyes went to the Big 12.
The Big 12 was the one on “life support” and in danger of demise… it seemed their only saving grace was that the BiG and SEC had already pillaged all they wanted. Plot twist! PAC refuses to kiss the ring, fumbles the media deal, goes down in flames and the b12 pulls “choice” schools from the fire. Now all of a sudden the B12 is the third “national conference” in the minds of aforementioned mindless masses.
Next up? The ACC must die so that college football can ascend to its rightful position of greatness. Hence, they’re all waiting in joyful expectation for the BiG and SEC to eventually eat their fill and everyone will cheer and laugh at the desperate overtures to the B12 from the remaining homeless ACC peons.
Everyone I know chastises the media for their “if it bleeds it leads” mentality, but there is a reason for it. We eat that sh** up!
This post gave me an idea. Somebody needs to invent a Risk game using football conferences!

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems that the momentum was for 4 power 5 conferences and that would be accomplished by the Big 12 falling apart when Texas and OK left. Instead, the Big12 managed to remain relevant and the PAC12 fell apart. So, can't the beast be happy that there are only 4 power conferences and a champ from each can make the playoffs?! Or, now the powers that be want only 2 Power conferences with 20 teams each and to continue to squeeze out the teams that don't spend $2m+ on recruiting every season? It is starting to appear that the only way for GT to survive is to get in B1G. Or if ND gets in ACC for football.

But, with all the NIL money and the portal and the talk of kids getting to share in Tv money (which is the only fair thing and will happen eventually), the whole student athlete myth is just silliness. 26 year old free agent QBs signing to play for $2m at ND or FSU or wherever, that is not anything like students playing a sport for their school. At some point the school enrollent part will go away and its just a minor league, but with so much money that its a major league. No 26 year old is transferring for $1m to "play school," thats for sure.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The table would be set with 4 P5 conferences and 4 CFP slots. ND would finally have to pi$$ or get off the pot, and symmetry would return. But no…. The “Committee” decided to toss rationality and leave out an undefeated conf champ in favor of a defeated one, showing that the order is still not maintained. There is no guarantee that a conf champ would be one of the final four, especially if there was an SECheat team close by. ND would opt to stay independent and the ACC cannot tie the knot.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
It seems that the momentum was for 4 power 5 conferences and that would be accomplished by the Big 12 falling apart when Texas and OK left. Instead, the Big12 managed to remain relevant and the PAC12 fell apart. So, can't the beast be happy that there are only 4 power conferences and a champ from each can make the playoffs?! Or, now the powers that be want only 2 Power conferences with 20 teams each and to continue to squeeze out the teams that don't spend $2m+ on recruiting every season? It is starting to appear that the only way for GT to survive is to get in B1G. Or if ND gets in ACC for football.

But, with all the NIL money and the portal and the talk of kids getting to share in Tv money (which is the only fair thing and will happen eventually), the whole student athlete myth is just silliness. 26 year old free agent QBs signing to play for $2m at ND or FSU or wherever, that is not anything like students playing a sport for their school. At some point the school enrollent part will go away and its just a minor league, but with so much money that its a major league. No 26 year old is transferring for $1m to "play school," thats for sure.
Maybe we can bring Tom Brady, or similar, out of retirement for a majority interest in GTAA?

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I hope they’re happy for a little while at least, but I doubt it.

Unless I missed it, playoff currently has SIX protected spots; one for each P5 champ and one for the highest ranked G5. The other six are at large. The top FOUR conf champs are awarded the bye. Although i don’t expect earth shattering changes, something has to be addressed to correct for only FOUR P5 champs. Logic would seem that it simply becomes
4 +1 with 7 at large. The trajectory of it all suggest that it won’t stay that way for long, even if it starts there. That said, BiG and SEC would love nothing more than to have ACC poached and then wither away because it puts another playoff position (and payout) in their coffers. That’s part of the reason so many people are “cheering” the demise of these conferences.

I can honestly say at this point that I don’t know where I want GT to land. I want us to compete at the highest level but I don’t even know what that means anymore, and I certainly don’t know what that means 10-20 years from now.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This post gave me an idea. Somebody needs to invent a Risk game using football conferences!
I’ve played some reeeeaaally loooong games of monopoly with the kids but I’m not sure I could stand a 30 year game of conference realignment Risk! Hell, I may not even be around to finish it! :D

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Expanding the playoff to 12 teams basically guaranteed that Notre Dame will NEVER join a conference in football. They just want a home for their other sports.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Expanding the playoff to 12 teams basically guaranteed that Notre Dame will NEVER join a conference in football. They just want a home for their other sports.
There are going to be six or seven at large spots for the CFP. It was thought the P5 would become the P4, but the PACn still has a vote and changes to the CFP must be unanimous. It is unlikely Oregon St and Washington St are going to vote themselves out of the CFP in order make room for the 3rd or fourth place teams from the B1G. While some financial inducement might change that, I think it will be six conference champions and six at large teams. Start thinking about Bama, uga, Texas, OU, and maybe another SEC team, along with Washington, Oregon, Michigan, tOSU, and PSU all vying for those six spots. Notre Dame has to beat out those folks. And, I imagine Clemson and FSU are both thinking this was the odd year where the ACC only had one team in the mix. Those conferences are also the conferences that an give regular schedule dates to ND that could make their SOS look pretty good. And, the B12 might also want a second place team. Ibelieve these enormous conferences are not going to give away spots in the CFP.

Let's say the P4 conferences decide to pay the PACn to leave the CFP board. What would make sense for the B12 and ACC to vote to allow another SEC or B1G team in the CFP? Answer: a guarantee that two teams from each P4 conference are automatic, with the conference champion getting a 1st round bye. If that happpens, ND will have to be one of three at large teams.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Is that bad for anyone? ND plays an average of 5 ACC Games a year. That seems a net positive for the ACC. ND is a high end academic school with several good Olympic sports.

ND got the Sun Bowl this year. Not the prime ACC Bowl even though they were the most desired team in the ACC Bowl lineup. I am discounting the OB as it is the Conference Champ.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Is that bad for anyone? ND plays an average of 5 ACC Games a year. That seems a net positive for the ACC. ND is a high end academic school with several good Olympic sports.

ND got the Sun Bowl this year. Not the prime ACC Bowl even though they were the most desired team in the ACC Bowl lineup. I am discounting the OB as it is the Conference Champ.
The second word got out that they had signed the new tv coontract, the ACC should have thrown their sorry butts totally out of the ACC. Let them pound sand for their olympic sports AND their 5 ACC games. Then they would'nt have a full schedule for football, water polo, etc.....

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The second word got out that they had signed the new tv coontract, the ACC should have thrown their sorry butts totally out of the ACC. Let them pound sand for their olympic sports AND their 5 ACC games. Then they would'nt have a full schedule for football, water polo, etc.....
How is that good for the ACC? Serious question. Has ND’s partnership with the ACC hurt the Conference since it started?

I get there is a lot of hate for ND in the GT community. I was at GT for the “fish” game.

Stepping back and looking at the big picture I just don’t see how this arrangement is Bad for the ACC? Please share your thoughts.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
There are going to be six or seven at large spots for the CFP. It was thought the P5 would become the P4, but the PACn still has a vote and changes to the CFP must be unanimous. It is unlikely Oregon St and Washington St are going to vote themselves out of the CFP in order make room for the 3rd or fourth place teams from the B1G. While some financial inducement might change that, I think it will be six conference champions and six at large teams. Start thinking about Bama, uga, Texas, OU, and maybe another SEC team, along with Washington, Oregon, Michigan, tOSU, and PSU all vying for those six spots. Notre Dame has to beat out those folks. And, I imagine Clemson and FSU are both thinking this was the odd year where the ACC only had one team in the mix. Those conferences are also the conferences that an give regular schedule dates to ND that could make their SOS look pretty good. And, the B12 might also want a second place team. Ibelieve these enormous conferences are not going to give away spots in the CFP.

Let's say the P4 conferences decide to pay the PACn to leave the CFP board. What would make sense for the B12 and ACC to vote to allow another SEC or B1G team in the CFP? Answer: a guarantee that two teams from each P4 conference are automatic, with the conference champion getting a 1st round bye. If that happpens, ND will have to be one of three at large teams.
Actually, I would love it if the first few CFP selections included a PAC champ who was 4-5 (1-0 conf) :D :D :D