Conference Realignment

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
How much fun would it be for conference champs to have auto bids this year? We would still mathematically be in the running.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Word is the Michigan is strongly urging the B1G to wait until the NCAA finishes its investigation prior to any punishment being handed down in the spying saga. Wonder if now is the time for us (The ACC) to gage whether Michigan would be so upset at the B1G that it would consider exploring other conferences and make an offer. It's a stretch, but would defiantly help the bottom line and the possibility of gaining Notre Dame as a full member.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
How much fun would it be for conference champs to have auto bids this year? We would still mathematically be in the running.
There is one word that will bring in the dollars and is the exact reason why the playoffs will expand beyond 12 - and that word is HOPE.

Once you give people hope you’ll keep them engaged longer, fill stadiums, and rake in the bucks.

I have been calling on an expanded playoff since I was 8 and realized how screwed up the entire sport was as I sat there in my pajamas watching #1 play #7 while #2 played #5. None of it made sense until I was older and understood how the bowl execs needed pay back for all the freebies they gave away all year to the AD’s, school Presidents, and coaches.

Close your eyes and imagine a time in the future when a GT team is playing November games that mean something more than just “momentum for next year” and where a loss on the Saturday after Thanksgiving doesn’t destroy our hope. That is what is coming - a legit playoff with 20 plus teams beginning in early December and running thru mid January until the NFL playoffs begin.

I can’t wait and am so happy that the next generation of fans won’t have to endure the absolute garbage of watching Champions be crowned by a sports editor at the Tacoma Daily Press or a team that plays a 2 game season and gets an invite to the private 4 team club. Let them all earn it by playing real teams for a month and the team that survives gets the trophy.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There is one word that will bring in the dollars and is the exact reason why the playoffs will expand beyond 12 - and that word is HOPE.

Once you give people hope you’ll keep them engaged longer, fill stadiums, and rake in the bucks.

I have been calling on an expanded playoff since I was 8 and realized how screwed up the entire sport was as I sat there in my pajamas watching #1 play #7 while #2 played #5. None of it made sense until I was older and understood how the bowl execs needed pay back for all the freebies they gave away all year to the AD’s, school Presidents, and coaches.

Close your eyes and imagine a time in the future when a GT team is playing November games that mean something more than just “momentum for next year” and where a loss on the Saturday after Thanksgiving doesn’t destroy our hope. That is what is coming - a legit playoff with 20 plus teams beginning in early December and running thru mid January until the NFL playoffs begin.

I can’t wait and am so happy that the next generation of fans won’t have to endure the absolute garbage of watching Champions be crowned by a sports editor at the Tacoma Daily Press or a team that plays a 2 game season and gets an invite to the private 4 team club. Let them all earn it by playing real teams for a month and the team that survives gets the trophy.
Agree but don’t think it will need 20 teams. The best team is almost always among the P5 champs and certainly always among the top 10, including conference runners-up/at-large. I think an 8-team playoff is sufficient and takes only 3 weeks to finish. Of course, this assumes the selections beyond conference champs avoids political choices for DEI.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How do you know we didn't? Maybe the ACC tried and they got told no.
The perception is that the B1G was way ahead of everyone in their expansion plans and the ACC was being reactive. That may not be fair but the two conferences have given completely different public statements before, during, and after the realignment shuffle.

slugboy

Staff member
The B1G has at least part of their contract with Fox and CBS, and the Big 12 also has Fox. The ACC is purely with ESPN, which limited the financial flexibility of the ACC. Five years ago, how many people forecast money tightening at ESPN?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I expect the money problem at AZ is just the beginning of money problems all across higher education over the coming years. Many, many will fold as the institutions they are today. They will not be missed IMO. Technology/engineering institutions will survive I'm guessing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Real shame that we take Stanford and Cal, we should have gone for Oregon and Washington right after USC and UCLA decided to leave.
ACC did look into Oregon and Washington after the USC/UCLA announcement. This was well covered at the time.
It was not financially additive, so it was not pursued.

This was a year before the PAC12 fell part and before everyone realized schools would move for less than full shares.

Fans need to remember how all this progressed. Only once it became clear that the money was not there for non-streaming PAC media contract did these schools decide to jump and were willing to jump for almost any conference that had a non-streaming media contract.

OR and WA ultimately jumped to a B1G offer that was basically less than 1/2 of a full share. (I suspect they basically went to the B1G and asked what would they be willing to give them to move).
The 4 corners schools jumped on a full share B12 offer that was less than what they were initially expecting the PAC media offer to be.
Stanford, Cal, and SMU all jumped to the ACC with a less than 1/2 share offer.
The 4 new G5 schools in the B12 all took less than full share offers.

Right now we are simply in a new place monetarily. A place were the money does not exist for schools to jump to another P5 conference and get a full share. Sankey said a couple of months ago that they would only expand if they saw a program that was worth a full share and right now they don't see any programs worth a full share.

This is why I believe right now that the whole 'ACC is dying or ACC schools are going to depart' is currently a false narrative. Alot of fans (and some administrators) have an inflated sense of what they could get if they tried to change conferences.
In 5 years this could be very different - maybe the money will be there for full shares, or it could go the other way and new contracts could actually be worse than what conferences will expect - no way to know until we get there.

The market has screamed pretty loud at what a good P5 program is worth right now. It appears to be around $30M per year. (OR and WA got $30M for their first year in the B1G with $1M increases for each of the next 6 years). The 4 corners schools got a share that is worth an avg of $31.7M over the course of the media contract. Which means in year 1 they are probably getting something closer to the mid-20's. Maybe a little higher.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I expect the money problem at AZ is just the beginning of money problems all across higher education over the coming years. Many, many will fold as the institutions they are today. They will not be missed IMO. Technology/engineering institutions will survive I'm guessing.
Read an article a few years ago, higher education journal I believe, that listed all the schools that would not exist in the next 20 years. After it came out a lot of junior colleges and community colleges became four year institutions and added programs like nursing. Many smaller private schools won’t make it as well as public schools in sparsely populated areas.

I don’t remember any large state schools being on the list so I’m a little shocked at a school the size of Arizona. Not to jump to conclusions but it sounds like egregious mismanagement. The main job of any President in this day and age is build the endowment and get alumni donations up.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Right now we are simply in a new place monetarily.

Speaking for us all. This could be the title for the new thread in the political forum.

Preach GIF

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the end of that Yahoo sports article is the most telling.

Whatever new shape college sports takes, White hopes that higher education and major college athletics — a link that is under as much tension as ever — continues to persist.

He’s not sure it will.

“We have a 107-year history where we’ve successfully tethered higher education to sport and it is at risk,” he told committee members. “We are approaching an irreconcilable position between the academy and college athletics. That is frightening.”

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think the end of that Yahoo sports article is the most telling.

Whatever new shape college sports takes, White hopes that higher education and major college athletics — a link that is under as much tension as ever — continues to persist.

He’s not sure it will.

“We have a 107-year history where we’ve successfully tethered higher education to sport and it is at risk,” he told committee members. “We are approaching an irreconcilable position between the academy and college athletics. That is frightening.”
This is exactly why I am of the opinion that GA Tech needs to just let the factories go here. Atlanta already has one pro team. We do not need another. We can really enjoy a good college football team, though, made up of actual S-A's.