Conference Realignment

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Once they are in the ACC, they are getting ZERO $$$. Point is, SMU is "paying to play", and it's not cheap to compete in P5. GT would die on the vine without ACC money. Not the case for SMU if they are willing to take $0 for almost a decade.

ACC payout is north of $30 million a year, and in the future that will grow. $300 million over the next decade is a conservative estimate.
They are getting money for the NCAA Tournament, CFP and the ACC Network. Just nothing from the ESPN Contract which is by far the largest amount.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC money is poverty to middle class citizen to Stanford money and prestige. UNC is not in their league.
True, Duke likes to compare itself to Stanford, which is not true either, but not as laughable (I have Duke grad degree so get subjected to Dookie crap periodically).
In terms of endowment, $5B, 12B, 38B (UNC, Dook, Stanford).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They are getting money for the NCAA Tournament, CFP and the ACC Network. Just nothing from the ESPN Contract which is by far the largest amount.

Yup, and that bolded part is why I say SMU has some BIG money donors. Can you imagine if GT had to do that? We'd have to drop out of the P5. SMU basically bought their way into P5 status.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How deep is the money at SMU that they can forgo $300+ Million over the next decade and still compete at the P5 level? Oil money...

SMU alums: "Jeeves, please fetch me the petty cash."

I mean, Prior to NIL, Eric Dickerson was probably the highest paid college football player of all time...

SMU did their level best in the 1980's to buy an MNC and came pretty close before that whole NCAA death penalty fiasco.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I imagine we're sticking with no divisions/pods, and the two teams with the highest conference win % play for it all. The games against ND (along with the bye weeks) can be used to offset the "odd man out" during conference play.

Speaking of ND, does anyone have info on 5 or 6 games. Since they were not mentioned in the press release, I assume they get to stay at 5 total games including Stanford. This will leave 4 games per year for the current members rather than 5?