Conference Realignment

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, if the ones complaining about needing more money voted against a way to get them a little more money then tell them to pound sand.
I’m not sure it’s even about the money. Sure, they want the money, and yes, it makes for a good (easy) argument, but I really think FSU just wants gone.

Based on nothing but my gut... even if the ACC were able to match BIG/ SEC money, Clemson would be happy to stay and FSU is still leaving at first chance they get. I think FSU is actually willing to walk away from some money to get out. Their “no” vote was more about lost influence over conference matters and more required signatures to achieve their ultimate goal of leaving.

Fortunately / unfortunately, it seems they are stuck for at least the rest of the decade, if not longer, so we are going to have to endure their tantrum.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not sure it’s even about the money. Sure, they want the money, and yes, it makes for a good (easy) argument, but I really think FSU just wants gone.

Based on nothing but my gut... even if the ACC were able to match BIG/ SEC money, Clemson would be happy to stay and FSU is still leaving at first chance they get. I think FSU is actually willing to walk away from some money to get out. Their “no” vote was more about lost influence over conference matters and more required signatures to achieve their ultimate goal of leaving.

Fortunately / unfortunately, it seems they are stuck for at least the rest of the decade, if not longer, so we are going to have to endure their tantrum.
Yeah, I get it and think you're right. Even more reason to not make any concessions to any of their demands or complaints. At this point, I wish they could figure a way out and pay the conference a bunch of money. Let them try to make the playoff through the SEC or as an independent and see how that works out for them.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I could see some good rivalries developing.
Wake vs SMU. Deacons vs Methodist
Duke vs Stanford Nerd vs Nerd
GT vs Cal. Wrong way trophy
Duke is the home of a Methodist Seminary/Divinity School. Since the Methodists aren't united anymore, a match-up with SMU could have all sorts of proxy overtones.

Okay, not really. But we're all killing time before kickoff.

Last edited:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
1693578098328.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Until 2036 rolls around, the best thing for GT is for the ACC to do well. All I care about is GT, and what's best for GT. I do believe GT will be in the P2 when it's all said and done, but that's a decade plus down the road. Right now, outside of GT somehow getting a billion $$$ windfall, the best thing for GT is to make the best out of the ACC, and for the ACC to do well on the field and the basketball court. Whether we like it or not, our fate for the foreseeable future is tied to the ACC...so we need to make the best of it.

Years ago, I predicted there would be some members of the ACC that would not stand to fall behind their perceived national "peers". I even named the exact schools who would create chaos within our conference...and here we are today. I have ZERO doubt UNC and Clemson was a BIG reason GT was persuaded to stay in the ACC back in 2012. I think of all the ACC schools, GT probably has the best administrative relationship with those schools. UNC because they are, for all intents and purposes, the flagship of the ACC. Clemson because of our proximity and the relationship we've always had with them. Unfortunately, because Peterson could not grasp the importance of GT for the ACC and B1G, and his utter disdain of the business of college sports, it seems ironic that UNC and Clemson will be the demise of the ACC as we know it.

As others have said, I'm glad adding the new schools will dilute the power of UNC/Clemson/FSU. I think they've carried too much weight in our conference, and some of that weight was probably to the detriment of GT. One thing I'm proud of is that GT has remained silent throughout this. Yes, our flagship programs have not done well recently, but we could have easily made a stink like UNC/Clemson/FSU/"magnificent seven" due to the importance of Atlanta/GT to the ACC (and SEC/B1G). If GT had left in 2012, the ACC payout looks drastically different than it does today given how big of a market Atlanta is for the ACC. UNC and UVA probably bolts for the B1G with us and the demise of the ACC would probably have come sooner. There's a phrase in UNC's email that still bothers me: "Without ironclad assurances..." part is pretty loaded. I wonder if UNC asked for something that would have been unfair to the rest of the ACC, or if they wanted something to keep them at a competitive advantage to the rest of the conference. They've acted like royalty for too long in the ACC, and there's reason to think they have the biggest role in how all of this has turned out for the ACC.

There were few schools available for the ACC to add that would have increase the value of the ACC's revenue. Due to some creative accounting, and some BIG SMU donors, ACC got the few remaining schools of value. Unfortunately, this is not the end of realignment for the ACC...we'll probably have to deal with this until the GOR is resolved. Don't get comfortable, GT fans, this league is starting to become a dysfunctional family.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Anyone want to guess how they will schedule FB, number of conference games, or deciding the two CG participants? Or what happens to the PAC’s bowl lineup?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The jokes are coming in...this is pretty good.

EDIT: For some reason the link isn't working. But if you have Twitter, go to RedditCFB page. That thread is AMAZING.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Until 2036 rolls around, the best thing for GT is for the ACC to do well. All I care about is GT, and what's best for GT. I do believe GT will be in the P2 when it's all said and done, but that's a decade plus down the road. Right now, outside of GT somehow getting a billion $$$ windfall, the best thing for GT is to make the best out of the ACC, and for the ACC to do well on the field and the basketball court. Whether we like it or not, our fate for the foreseeable future is tied to the ACC...so we need to make the best of it.

Years ago, I predicted there would be some members of the ACC that would not stand to fall behind their perceived national "peers". I even named the exact schools who would create chaos within our conference...and here we are today. I have ZERO doubt UNC and Clemson was a BIG reason GT was persuaded to stay in the ACC back in 2012. I think of all the ACC schools, GT probably has the best administrative relationship with those schools. UNC because they are, for all intents and purposes, the flagship of the ACC. Clemson because of our proximity and the relationship we've always had with them. Unfortunately, because Peterson could not grasp the importance of GT for the ACC and B1G, and his utter disdain of the business of college sports, it seems ironic that UNC and Clemson will be the demise of the ACC as we know it.

As others have said, I'm glad adding the new schools will dilute the power of UNC/Clemson/FSU. I think they've carried too much weight in our conference, and some of that weight was probably to the detriment of GT. One thing I'm proud of is that GT has remained silent throughout this. Yes, our flagship programs have not done well recently, but we could have easily made a stink like UNC/Clemson/FSU/"magnificent seven" due to the importance of Atlanta/GT to the ACC (and SEC/B1G). If GT had left in 2012, the ACC payout looks drastically different than it does today given how big of a market Atlanta is for the ACC. UNC and UVA probably bolts for the B1G with us and the demise of the ACC would probably have come sooner. There's a phrase in UNC's email that still bothers me: "Without ironclad assurances..." part is pretty loaded. I wonder if UNC asked for something that would have been unfair to the rest of the ACC, or if they wanted something to keep them at a competitive advantage to the rest of the conference. They've acted like royalty for too long in the ACC, and there's reason to think they have the biggest role in how all of this has turned out for the ACC.

There were few schools available for the ACC to add that would have increase the value of the ACC's revenue. Due to some creative accounting, and some BIG SMU donors, ACC got the few remaining schools of value. Unfortunately, this is not the end of realignment for the ACC...we'll probably have to deal with this until the GOR is resolved. Don't get comfortable, GT fans, this league is starting to become a dysfunctional family.
Height of laziness, I know, but was the “letter” posted somewhere? I missed it.