Conference Realignment

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Getting 2 pacific coast teams in California that are located next to each other is not a good thing.

Also, I dont like flying past smu, osu, u of h to play in San Francisco or oakland. Texas has lots of recruits and Houston, Dallas, and okc are good markets)

Atl to Dallas or Houston and back can be a one day business trip.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
SMU has a decent team—they’re overlooked in all of this
Agree nice place ( oh wait I’ve been out west to Montgomery Alabama so I didn’t see it) but I saw pictures ( no wait that was my neighbors wife but they were good) oh forget it and the way things are going I’ll wait till tomorrow and read they didn’t vote.
( but I still don’t like FSU)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nothing there to prevent SMU doing what TCU did (again, I suppose, hah) and the DFW market is attractive from a potential standpoint, even though it has the same “saturated with fans of bigger state schools” problem as Atlanta.

Wonder if they feel like being in a bigger conferences would unlock their ability to compete more than any amount of TV money (they ain’t poor after all).

Well, being in a bigger conference is already paying off for UCF who has NINE 4 stars committed for the 2024 class, and a class ranked #26 with just 17 commits. Cincinnati currently has the #41 ranked 2024 class after being ranked #75 last year.

For those that think the Big 12 is a joke, let's review that in 5 years. UCF and Cincy were already good programs. Utah has been a good program for a while now, and Arizona and Arizona State have really good potential given the influx of people moving there. Those additions, along with BYU, will make them a LOT better.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Also the Dallas market and carriage fees that come with it...ESPECIALLY since they're willing to forgo (reportedly) distributions for a pretty substantial amount of time.

BTW...you got to wonder why SMU isn't a bigger program like Baylor given they have the resources to give up $30+ million a year to join the ACC.

DFW is TCU territory. ESPN will gain almost nothing from adding SMU to the ACC since they already get those fees from their Big-12 TV deal. Their willingness to forgo payments may help sway FSU and Clemson though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
DFW is TCU territory. ESPN will gain almost nothing from adding SMU to the ACC since they already get those fees from their Big-12 TV deal. Their willingness to forgo payments may help sway FSU and Clemson though.

That's incorrect. That's not how the carriage fees for ACC will work. That's like saying GT won't get any fees for Atlanta because UGA is in the SEC and SEC has an agreement with ESPN.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I should have waited to post this. Subsequent phone convo:

If I understand correctly what he said, the ESPN contract pays on a pro rata share. Adding Stanford & Cal brings two additional shares. Including SMU brings in a third share. The discussions are about how to distribute those three shares since the new schools would be coming in with zero % shares for several years. FSU and Clemson might vote yes if the money skews toward them sufficiently. The debate seems to be about the criteria for skewing shares.
Man, I sure hope the rest of the ACC doesn't cave in to the bullies just to get a unanimous vote. All we need is one of the NC schools to flip according to previous reports.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
DFW - and especially Dallas IME - is UT and A&M territory, even TTU, before TCU territory. (Which doesn’t help SMU immediately, but they’re in the biggest city of the metroplex and could attract at least as many casual fans as TCU if they start winning.)

i wonder if A&M and UT getting potentially stuck in the middle of the pack as SEC also-rans is an opportunity for SMU/TCU.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
DFW - and especially Dallas IME - is UT and A&M territory, even TTU, before TCU territory. (Which doesn’t help SMU immediately, but they’re in the biggest city of the metroplex and could attract at least as many casual fans as TCU if they start winning.)

i wonder if A&M and UT getting potentially stuck in the middle of the pack as SEC also-rans is an opportunity for SMU/TCU.

If I'm Texas A&M, I bolt for the B1G the next opportunity. Why be stuck in the middle of the SEC when you have a good chance of being a big piece of the B1G, and most likely the biggest program west of the Mississippi for what will be the preeminent Academic and Athletic conference. B1G would 100% take Texas A&M. Let Texas flounder in the SEC.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If I'm Texas A&M, I bolt for the B1G the next opportunity. Why be stuck in the middle of the SEC when you have a good chance of being a big piece of the B1G, and most likely the biggest program west of the Mississippi for what will be the preeminent Academic and Athletic conference. B1G would 100% take Texas A&M. Let Texas flounder in the SEC.
My lazy armchair psychologist diagnosis of Aggies is that they have way too much little brother syndrome to UT to ever do anything that could be perceived as a step down or a weakness-driven move. Even their SEC move seemed as much about UT as about themselves.

I’m still a little shocked that UT, on the other hand, gave up on their own “do it our own way” attitude to join the SEC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My lazy armchair psychologist diagnosis of Aggies is that they have way too much little brother syndrome to UT to ever do anything that could be perceived as a step down or a weakness-driven move. Even their SEC move seemed as much about UT as about themselves.

I’m still a little shocked that UT, on the other hand, gave up on their own “do it our own way” attitude to join the SEC.

I'm 100% certain ESPN had as much to do with Texas and OU moving to the SEC as the SEC giving them an invite. ESPN probably told them which way the wind was blowing, and Texas probably swallowed some pride to join the SEC and follow "little brother".

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I briefly saw a report from a San Francisco Chronical reporter that the talks with Stanford and Cal were for Football and Basketball Only. It may have been pulled down. I could not find it when I went back during my search.

Last edited:

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I'm 100% certain ESPN had as much to do with Texas and OU moving to the SEC as the SEC giving them an invite. ESPN probably told them which way the wind was blowing, and Texas probably swallowed some pride to join the SEC and follow "little brother".
A&M is a lot bigger than UT, too, so the Longhorns have probably been swallowing pride for a long time now.

slugboy

Staff member

This is a full on soap opera at this point...
Soraya Montenegro Cry GIF by México

un camino loop GIF

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Getting 2 pacific coast teams in California that are located next to each other is not a good thing.

Also, I dont like flying past smu, osu, u of h to play in San Francisco or oakland. Texas has lots of recruits and Houston, Dallas, and okc are good markets)

Atl to Dallas or Houston and back can be a one day business trip.

Like your idea. Much easier trip. I tried to check if OSU and UH had signed their new Big Twelve 6 year Grant of Rights. I could not confirm one way or the other. They probably have. If so, they would be giving up their TV rights for 6 years at the moment. The ACC designed their GOR after the Big 12 GOR. So, Texas and OK learned that it could not be broken.

What about Tulane? Good School and Old SEC team. Pick up New Orleans. Tulane was the school that suffered more than GT by leaving the SEC.