Conference Realignment

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder if Bud Peterson makes the same decision today that he did in 2012 turning down the B1G.

From what I've heard, Cabrera would leave the ACC floating in the middle of the ocean on a raft to join the B1G.

Concerning our former Presidents, I have attached a page from President Clough's book, "The Technological University Reimagined". These Paragraphs are the only mention of Athletics.

I will let you judge his emphasis on athletics or lack thereof.

Attachments

• Clough-A.pdf
    304.3 KB · Views: 57

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Concerning our former Presidents, I have attached a page from President Clough's book, "The Technological University Reimagined". These Paragraphs are the only mention of Athletics.

I will let you judge his emphasis on athletics or lack thereof.
Well, I guess at least he wasn’t blowing smoke about where he stood on the matter.
We know academics drives the bus, but recounting those events as a humorous, trivial nuisance speaks volumes.
I am hopeful that Cabrera’s leadership and very vocal affirmation that we can be both an elite academic AND athletic institution pays huge dividends.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I guess at least he wasn’t blowing smoke about where he stood on the matter.
We know academics drives the bus, but recounting those events as a humorous, trivial nuisance speaks volumes.
I am hopeful that Cabrera’s leadership and very vocal affirmation that we can be both an elite academic AND athletic institution pays huge dividends.
Cabrera has been a huge breath of fresh air. He has consistently made the (valid) point that success in academics does not preclude success in athletics. GT admin has long held the belief that two cannot coexist and seemingly believed that athletic success would mean the academics meant less...which is silly. It also points to the inner nerd of GT...a resentment towards athletics from the academic elite. A few decades of this sentiment and you see how detrimental it is to GT athletics.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow

This is a full on soap opera at this point...

stech81

Helluva Engineer

This is a full on soap opera at this point...
It does seem to be a soap opera, they are in no there is a problem, they have the votes now, no they didn't so they didn't vote.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Agree. When you have a request for a joke and your first thought is the GT football program, says all one needs to know.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Cabrera has been a huge breath of fresh air. He has consistently made the (valid) point that success in academics does not preclude success in athletics. GT admin has long held the belief that two cannot coexist and seemingly believed that athletic success would mean the academics meant less...which is silly. It also points to the inner nerd of GT...a resentment towards athletics from the academic elite. A few decades of this sentiment and you see how detrimental it is to GT athletics.
The elite phd gt resesrchers for DOD could care less about the undergraduate student life. They make tons of $ so screw the in state hs applicants. It doesnt matter T hill that (the uga grads) in ga legislature have gt so defined as a 100% research university that it cannot offer any degree that uga offers. Our leaders are are so weak that UGA has now offered a easier engr degree (example year before last the all american mlb on uga champ team) . In the future is IN ANGEL WE TRUST

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He is energizing the alumni base more than any president I can remember in both academics and athletics.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My UNC neighbor is hearing some of the presidents want the vote to be unanimous and are trying to get the financial details worked out. His source is in the AA.
I should have waited to post this. Subsequent phone convo:

If I understand correctly what he said, the ESPN contract pays on a pro rata share. Adding Stanford & Cal brings two additional shares. Including SMU brings in a third share. The discussions are about how to distribute those three shares since the new schools would be coming in with zero % shares for several years. FSU and Clemson might vote yes if the money skews toward them sufficiently. The debate seems to be about the criteria for skewing shares.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
SMU has a decent team—they’re overlooked in all of this

Also the Dallas market and carriage fees that come with it...ESPECIALLY since they're willing to forgo (reportedly) distributions for a pretty substantial amount of time.

BTW...you got to wonder why SMU isn't a bigger program like Baylor given they have the resources to give up $30+ million a year to join the ACC.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Nothing there to prevent SMU doing what TCU did (again, I suppose, hah) and the DFW market is attractive from a potential standpoint, even though it has the same “saturated with fans of bigger state schools” problem as Atlanta.

Wonder if they feel like being in a bigger conferences would unlock their ability to compete more than any amount of TV money (they ain’t poor after all).