Conference Realignment

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
We are betting on those schools adding revenue through the ACC Network in SF, Oakland, and Dallas. If that's the strategy, let's add Temple too!!

Let's go back to divisions for scheduling in football and create better content.

First Division - get 65% of revenue
Clemson
FSU
Miami
GT
Louisville
UNC
NC State
UVA
VT

Second division - get 35% of revenue
Duke
Wake Forest
BC
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Stanford
Cal
SMU
#18 addition

Let ND schedule whoever the hell they want. Or join full time, go in the top division and put VT in the bottom division.
So a Soccer league scenario where teams can play their way up or down leagues to get a bigger paycheck. Top teams go up, Bottom teams go down. That would add to the excitement and make sure the structure of today makes sense in the future as teams ebb and flow.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the posts in that thread:

Tom Mars (an attorney who frequently battles the NCAA) brought up sovereign immunity in a tweet, and one of his lawyer followers wrote the following:

"Sovereign immunity does not extend to contractual breaches in Florida. If the legislature decided to grant it via legislative act, they may have a problem with FL constitutional provision preventing impairment of contract obligations. Art 1, Sec 10."

Mars said he agreed, so it seems like this argument wouldn't work for Florida schools.
I was gonna say something snarky about the Florida Legislature, but it would likely earn me another warning....so I am gonna bite my tongue.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You left out a third possibility. The GOR holds and it exacerbates the problem for Tech because complacency and lack of planning means no safe place for Tech to land when the house of cards eventually collapses.
Right now, it's giving us time to get better and figure this out. And the AD we now have in place seems far more competent to do that. I don't see Batt getting complacent.
Make no mistake - the GOR is our friend. If not for the GOR, we'd probably be adrift right now with neither lifeboat nor landing spot. The GOR gives us 8 to 10 years to prepare for the ACC's demise, if that happens.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We are betting on those schools adding revenue through the ACC Network in SF, Oakland, and Dallas. If that's the strategy, let's add Temple too!!

Let's go back to divisions for scheduling in football and create better content.

First Division - get 65% of revenue
Clemson
FSU
Miami
GT
Louisville
UNC
NC State
UVA
VT

Second division - get 35% of revenue
Duke
Wake Forest
BC
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Stanford
Cal
SMU
#18 addition

Let ND schedule whoever the hell they want. Or join full time, go in the top division and put VT in the bottom division.
if you are trying to go ahead and kill the ACC this would do it.
Why should Miami,Louisville,UNC,NC State,UVa,VT and Us , make more than Duke.BC,Syracuse, and Pitt?
I can understand Cal, Stanford, and SMU not getting a full shares to start.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Why should Miami,Louisville,UNC,NC State,UVa,VT and Us , make more than Duke.BC,Syracuse, and Pitt?

Correct. Now take that a step further. If long standing members can be demoted to partial shares, then does GT get demoted if we can't turn it around at some point? What if our TV ratings drop?

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
ACC is going to kill itself within 10 years because there are too many teams that don't contribute much. We might be one of them depending on your view of the ATL market. If we are, we deserve to be in a lower conference.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So a Soccer league scenario where teams can play their way up or down leagues to get a bigger paycheck. Top teams go up, Bottom teams go down. That would add to the excitement and make sure the structure of today makes sense in the future as teams ebb and flow.
Not when you don't have equally weighted schedules. That only works with a home/home round-robin schedule.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC is going to kill itself within 10 years because there are too many teams that don't contribute much. We might be one of them depending on your view of the ATL market. If we are, we deserve to be in a lower conference.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So do I understand the recent statements/rumors correctly?

FSU - Things are so unfair. We can't compete in big boy football unless we leave the ACC or all of the other members pitch in and give us extra shares.

SMU - We want an opportunity to prove we can compete in big boy football. We don't even need a revenue share, we will take care of the money ourselves. We're just want access to a platform to show the world what we can do.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
SMU, Stanford, and California would potentially add to the long term health of the ACC, but I am curious about the odd number of teams. Does this mean Phillips is also talking to someone else?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
So do I understand the recent statements/rumors correctly?

FSU - Things are so unfair. We can't compete in big boy football unless we leave the ACC or all of the other members pitch in and give us extra shares.

SMU - We want an opportunity to prove we can compete in big boy football. We don't even need a revenue share, we will take care of the money ourselves. We're just want access to a platform to show the world what we can do.
Speaks volumes, doesn't it....

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
SMU, Stanford, and California would potentially add to the long term health of the ACC, but I am curious about the odd number of teams. Does this mean Phillips is also talking to someone else?
I would assume Notre Dame. Their NBC deal ends after 2024

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did I read that Wash / Oregon are getting $20m in the BIG? 60-70% of the last ACC payout is $24m- $27m. Crazy turn of events if ESPN stepped up bigger than Fox / BIG.
WA and OR are getting $30M per year from B1G with no additional travel allowance. Increases $1M per year until the next TV contract.

Based on the reporting for right now it sounds like Stanford and Cal would get $24-28M with all ACC schools getting some additional money for travel allowances (i'm assuming Stanford and Cal may get more than others, but who knows). So Cal and Stanford are likely looking at a potential deal that is relatively in line with what WA or OR got.
It also further reinforces the idea that there are very few schools that move the needle to where they are likely to get a full share from the Big 2. My personal opinion is that the 2 ACC schools with the best chance of getting a full share are UNC And UVA - because they are the most likely to produce a bidding war between the SEC and B1G. They are the 'state' schools in the 2 most populous states (excluding NY) that do not have an SEC or B1G team in them, and both are states that are growing at solid clips. Sankey has already implied that FSU would not get a full share from the SEC.
I also wonder about the priority of the 2 FL schools to the B1G. Would it prefer the larger school, or the one that is more highly though of academically that is in a big city. I sort of feel like if B1G had the choice it might prioritize Miami over FSU as it seems like more of a fit in the well regarded school in a large market.

The other big note in that article is that ACC's contract with ESPN does have a 'pro rata' clause. So if ACC adds any of these schools it gets an additional full share of money from ESPN (ie. an extra $40ish Million per year per school). It sounds like assuming Stanford and Cal came in at 70% and SMU paid its own way for 5 years that you are talking about an extra $64M per year ($12M each for Stanford and Cal and $40M for SMU if they forgo payments) for at least 5 years to distribute to members. That is not alot, but would likely at least cover additional travel costs.

It's not a slam dunk, but if you think number of members provides some security (ie. having more members means if someone leaves you still have a legitimate conference left), then I understand what the line of thinking is.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would assume Notre Dame. Their NBC deal ends after 2024
I heard NBC is balking at the numbers ND wants. The issue is with the number of viewers is more like GT than the Irish like to admit. According to Football Scoop, over the last 3 years ND is averaging 2.34 million viewers and 7 of those 19 games were under 2 million. A part of the problem is their schedule. Last year they hosted Marshall, BYU, UNLV, and BC. The year before it was Toledo, Navy, and GT. NBC is sticking a lot of those games on Peacock.

This year they have Navy, Tennessee State, and Central Michigan. They host Ohio State and USC, but those are the only home games likely to draw more than 3 million.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
It's a shame that a bunch of schools cannot get together that are located in great media mkts, such as Stanford, Cal, ASU, SMU, TCU, ND, Miami, S FL, GT, UNC, MD and have their own media somehow. Appears to me that could be a gold mine, just don't know how it gets done. Need a real entrepreneur, do it, get it done type person.

Last edited: