Conference Realignment

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
That would be like saying the Pac-12 shouldn't take Clemson or FSU because the ACC can't get a great deal. Oregon and Washington aren't the TV problem. Oregon St, Wash St, etc.... are
I understand your point, but the math doesn't agree with your analogy. The pac12 deal is rumored to be $20m/school/year. The ACC currently gets $40m/school/year. Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford are 45% of the Pac12 (Pac9). They may be the most valuable assets in the Pac12, but they aren't valuable enough to increase the ACC payouts.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Part of the advantage the B1G has is that their TV deal is with Fox, CBS, and NBC. Those networks aren't in the financial bind that ESPN is in. Leveraging the increase across three networks is beneficial for everyone, whereas ESPN would be the sole fish on the financial hook if we added teams.
Question? Would not Fox, CBS, NBC have potentially bigger viewing audiences because they're not restricted just to cable viewers?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
From what I've seen about F$U on this is just a bunch or guys who aren't used to being told "no", being told "no". "It's not if, but how and when." Answer, a lot closer to 2036 and for 2 boat loads of money.
Are they trending upwards, yes. But as a top "earner" for the ACC, here is their record for the last decade:
2013 14-0, Atlantic, ACC and National Champs
2014 13-1, Atlantic and ACC Champs
2015 10-3
2016 10-3
2017 7-6
2018 5-7
2019 6-7
2020 3-6
2021 5-7
2022 10-3
Yep, those numbers (against football powers like Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Florida & Miami) sure make the Noles look like the team worth giving up 13 years of TV money for.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Question? Would not Fox, CBS, NBC have potentially bigger viewing audiences because they're not restricted just to cable viewers?
Kinda/sorta. It's been half a decade or so since I was closer to the sports media industry, but here's my best guess of the various factors that would complicate this (especially in terms of "turning that audience into revenue": A fair number of Big 10 games will still be on cable - so "I want to watch Big 10 college football but I don't have ESPN" is probably not a big group of people. Even/especially for the Big 10 after the Big 10 Network launched; they'll also have games on FS1. In terms of advertising revenue, the difference would be a pretty narrow group: people who have a TV and broadcast antenna setup, but doesn't have cable TV. That's probably going to be an older demographic, which is generally less valuable to advertisers. Advertising also isn't as big a slice of the pie compared to cable fees: This is from 2020 but estimates ESPN's breakdown as 8.6B from fees and 2.3B in advertising: https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/19/how-disneys-espn-makes-money-sports-broadcasting.aspx

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Article on FSU griping.

I think one of the key points that gets overlooked is this
"Under the ACC's current deal, member schools reportedly received a total distribution of approximately $39.4 million for Fiscal Year 2022. SEC and Big Ten schools, in contrast, reportedly received payouts around $49.9 million and $58.8 million, respectively."

Yes, it is going to get alot worse, but right now ACC Schools are not getting paid $30M less than SEC or B1G.
Yes, it is going to be $30M, but that is 7-10 years down the road.
Any school that leaves, but has to pay anything close to full price to buy its way out is going to take at least a decade to make up the money it had spend to leave.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mods delete if already posted. I say "meh" myself.

Called it! I said this would happen years ago. Something is going on behind the scenes to move this along earlier than the B1G wants.

If this does happen, you're looking at the B1G completing 3/4ths of their national plan. They're going to let the ACC schools work out the GOR amongst themselves before moving on any ACC teams. Make no mistake, the B1G will be coming for the South.

You say "meh", BUT this is a 50+ year decision. Who knows where college sports is going, but one thing the B1G is good at is seeing decades into the future better than any other conference. This is why I want GT to be a part of the B1G. They also have the foresight to hire conference commissioner that is a media guru that's headed up big projects for major media companies. Long gone are the days of school ADs or Presidents becoming conference commissioners. That's the old way of doing business, and why a conference like the ACC is in trouble. Even Notre Dame was smart enough to hire an AD with a similar profile to that of the new B1G commissioner.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Its all about the timing. I think FSU has wanted to be gone almost since they joined. Bobby and the administration liked the ACC, not sure anyone else in Tally wanted to be here. FSU certainly wants out, but.... timing, timing, timing.

I have gotten caught up in this too. The rumblings certainly are interesting. The notion that they have a “work around” for GOR is VERY interesting. The statements being made by some representatives of the university are pretty darned interesting.

That said, if the GOR is “the last thing” they’re worried about and “won’t be the document that prevents them from leaving,” then why are they still here?

Maybe they don’t have a landing spot? Wouldn’t that be something... the SEC hasn’t seemed interested in more teams (or even adding conference games) because ESPN won’t pay. FSU just missed AAU membership, which is a big deal to Big Ten. How big? That’s for Big Ten to answer... just funny that the GOR is the last thing they are worried about but it’s seemingly the only thing. FSU will leave, I have no doubt, but I don’t see it being soon. I almost get the feeling they are talking like this to try to get BIG / SEC engaged in talks.
They have never seemed to be that integrated into the ACC. They have not had the influence that they felt they desired. When they joined, basketball was king in the ACC and the conference was pretty much run by UNC who had the most influence in the ACC office. That power has now shifted to be more equitable and even UNC is ready to jump ship. The next few months should be interesting.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Called it! I said this would happen years ago. Something is going on behind the scenes to move this along earlier than the B1G wants.

If this does happen, you're looking at the B1G completing 3/4ths of their national plan. They're going to let the ACC schools work out the GOR amongst themselves before moving on any ACC teams. Make no mistake, the B1G will be coming for the South.

You say "meh", BUT this is a 50+ year decision. Who knows where college sports is going, but one thing the B1G is good at is seeing decades into the future better than any other conference. This is why I want GT to be a part of the B1G. They also have the foresight to hire conference commissioner that is a media guru that's headed up big projects for major media companies. Long gone are the days of school ADs or Presidents becoming conference commissioners. That's the old way of doing business, and why a conference like the ACC is in trouble. Even Notre Dame was smart enough to hire an AD with a similar profile to that of the new B1G commissioner.
Good thought. Only me saying personally not that excited by ending up with a B1G and PAC whatever beyond USC and UCLA that is already there.

Posted back in the spring Cyndi Lauper had it right...$$$ changes everything...and boy are the times a changin' (borrowing from a Minnesota native Mr. Dylan). Much rather dive into the heart of SEC country and get a GT or FSU or even Clemson...but prefer GT, which is better than Nebbie to me.

So in the end not disagreeing just not excited. Also, I'm a Minnesota fan...powerhouse in the past but hopefully knocking at the door again soon enough...just like Tech....

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Dead right. The ACC has never been forward thinking and that’s why we are a joke of a conference. FSU is smart to start the ball rolling of getting out.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
From what I've seen about F$U on this is just a bunch or guys who aren't used to being told "no", being told "no". "It's not if, but how and when." Answer, a lot closer to 2036 and for 2 boat loads of money.
Are they trending upwards, yes. But as a top "earner" for the ACC, here is their record for the last decade:
2013 14-0, Atlantic, ACC and National Champs
2014 13-1, Atlantic and ACC Champs
2015 10-3
2016 10-3
2017 7-6
2018 5-7
2019 6-7
2020 3-6
2021 5-7
2022 10-3
Yep, those numbers (against football powers like Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Florida & Miami) sure make the Noles look like the team worth giving up 13 years of TV money for.
Very short sighted thought. This has nothing to do with where teams are today but all about where teams want to go as a program. Every program has gone thru down periods. If a schools down period is what you showed for FSU then 99% of schools would take that. UGA, Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame all have had similar decade slides after a legend retires or they make a couple of bad hires. Look where UGA was a decade ago. Everyone was laughing at them because Richt couldn’t win the big one and a little option team beat them a few times. But Kirby built them by playing the best and competing and taking his lumps while he built. FSU knows they can‘t build and recruit elite talent in the ACC. Top players want to play with and against other top talent. So you can laugh at FSU all you want but they know in order to be elite you have to compete against elite teams and take your lumps. And the minute they join an elite conference they’ll attract the next hot coach, ala Riley, and immediately get a 5 star QB, etc.