Conference Realignment

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why would Jim Phillips be doing anything for UNC? More of your nonsense. Jim Phillips has no ties to North Carolina and never has. He was an AD at NIU, Asst. AD at Tennessee, and ND before being the AD at Northwestern. He's from Chicago originally and went to Illinois. Your lack of knowledge astounds me. But you go on spouting your nonsense.

No one knows where this will end, but greed tends to ruin most things, so I agree with you that honesty and ethics won't play a role in the future of college football, and, by extension, college athletics, in general.
He has no ties to North Carolina? Dude, North Carolina hired him. Most people owe those who do them favors or hire them. Tobacco Road hired Phillips. Did you not see the new rotating schedules? Does it not amuse you that the same schools who have been getting preferential treatment for 40 years were once again taken care of? I would love to live in your world where the ACC is pristine and Swofford and now Phillips has every member institution‘s best interest at heart. But I’m not nearly as naive as you and have watched it my entire adult life as have most posters on this board. If you can’t see the ACC is dying then that’s on you. Enjoy the last few years.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA and the SEC own the Atlanta market, we offer no TV market to any conference.
I hear you, although getting a B1G team in Atlanta would change the product mix. UGA controls Atlanta media because there is so little competition.

I’ve been yammering for years about how many sidewalk fans we would attract playing B1G opponents, given how many B1G alums live here. Right now, many of them adopt UGA football because (1) we suck and (2) their kids go to UGA - they might want to go to GT, but most don’t get in.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear you, although getting a B1G team in Atlanta would change the product mix. UGA controls Atlanta media because there is so little competition.

I’ve been yammering for years about how many sidewalk fans we would attract playing B1G opponents, given how many B1G alums live here. Right now, many of them adopt UGA football because (1) we suck and (2) their kids go to UGA - they might want to go to GT, but most don’t get in.
Everyone talks about wanting to play the Florida schools to increase recruiting in that area. Imagine what sending Ohio St to Atlanta every so often would do for their recruiting in the southeast.

For what it's worth, I don't see GT-to-B1G happening. But it's still an interesting thought.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

...and THAT may be our saving grace in the eyes of the B1G. Atlanta is one of the biggest destinations for B1G alumni. Also, I strongly believe the B1G will want a Southern presence given college football and basketball are HUGE down here. It helps put a stake in the middle of SEC country and expands the B1G footprint in a new direction. Given that the South is attracting a LOT of the midwest population and a LOT of new companies, having a GT under the B1G banner in Atlanta could be VERY attractive...as well as our academic reputation and overall competitive history in sports.

One thing to keep in mind, and I mentioned this earlier in another thread. Dan Radakovich was a BIG proponent of the B1G for GT. He's now at Miami. I don't think he left Clemson because he thought Clemson was on the decline or for $$$. Radakovich wants Miami in the B1G, and he may well have left Clemson knowing Miami fate with the B1G in the future. It's been rumored for years that B1G really wants all of UVA/UNC/GT. I think Miami would also be in the discussion, and give the B1G "South" natural regional rivalries for their "new" schools.

If the chance comes again for GT, we have to take it. If we don't, well...

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I believe BIG and GT are a $$ winner for tv and attendance, fan interest etc with Ohio State, MI, Penn State, USC, UCLA, etc playing here. Also think BIG would find the same thing with Miami and S. FL. Would not surprise me to see this happen. Who was Rutgers before BIG? NY, Jersey markets made that deal. Just look at the money for schools today, dominated by TV $. Advertising $$ is still dependent on house tops.
Not sure BIG and SEC don't end up with full blown business models for TV and will need large number of schools and markets to make it work. ACC is doomed in long run IMO as a TV revenue conference. I've heard another ACC alum say their people believe ACC is doomed and the VT Pres says they will not be a part of bigtime CFB in the long term future, Pres usually know what is going on.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys make a strong argument for GT being able to get in the BIG INTEGER. Probably a good move for us. However there is a part of me that thinks given our situation - limited alumni money and interest, limited fan base, limited curriculum and the Hill's attitude - that we might be better off in a second division playing the likes of N. C. State for a championship as opposed to trying to beat our head against the wall against impossible odds - The Ohio State University. If we are going to do it though, I'd rather it be the BIG INTEGER than the SEC to give us some chance for success.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
...and THAT may be our saving grace in the eyes of the B1G. Atlanta is one of the biggest destinations for B1G alumni. Also, I strongly believe the B1G will want a Southern presence given college football and basketball are HUGE down here. It helps put a stake in the middle of SEC country and expands the B1G footprint in a new direction. Given that the South is attracting a LOT of the midwest population and a LOT of new companies, having a GT under the B1G banner in Atlanta could be VERY attractive...as well as our academic reputation and overall competitive history in sports.

One thing to keep in mind, and I mentioned this earlier in another thread. Dan Radakovich was a BIG proponent of the B1G for GT. He's now at Miami. I don't think he left Clemson because he thought Clemson was on the decline or for $$$. Radakovich wants Miami in the B1G, and he may well have left Clemson knowing Miami fate with the B1G in the future. It's been rumored for years that B1G really wants all of UVA/UNC/GT. I think Miami would also be in the discussion, and give the B1G "South" natural regional rivalries for their "new" schools.

If the chance comes again for GT, we have to take it. If we don't, well...
This would be completely applicable if we hadn't turned them down before. We have zero dance partners when this ends.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to tell: Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, Stanford and Cal-Berkley all AAU and no invite at this point - Stanford seems most likely to me but who knows?

I hope GT, UNC and UVA make the jump. States of GA and NC are big states now with a whole lot of Big 10 alums who have moved south with the population shifts. BIG 10 is going to want to get into SEC market footprint and lock SEC into the south alone.

Miami, Clemson, and FSU fit more in SEC.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If the goal of college sports is for administrators, coaches, and players to make as much money as possible, then moving to the B1G makes sense.

If the goal is to compete for championships against like-minded and similar sized institutions, who care for the development and betterment of their student athletes, then the B1G might as well be irrelevant.

GT will never be able to front enough money to compete in the B1G. Sure we’ll pay our head coaches, ADs, and administrators more, but relative to our competition it will still be in the bottom percentiles.

Is becoming a punching bag for the big programs worth lining the pockets of the already extremely wealthy even more? In my eyes it’s not. I don’t even think college sports will survive through the end of 2036 in the sense that a school provides a scholarship and an athlete enrolls in classes with the premise they work towards a degree. “College” sports will be a completely separate entity from actual colleges and universities before long.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Heard another opinion on ACCN radio this afternoon: Eventually, Clemson, Miami, and FSU to the SEC, UNC and Duke as a package deal to the B1G.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Southside Athletic Conference for Teams that can’t expand good and want to do other stuff good too:
Ga Tech
Nc State
Va Tech
West By God Virginia
Texas Tech
TCU
Okie State
ASU
Zona

8 conference games, home and home in bball. Let’s do this!
Heard another opinion on ACCN radio this afternoon: Eventually, Clemson, Miami, and FSU to the SEC, UNC and Duke as a package deal to the B1G.

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
You guys make a strong argument for GT being able to get in the BIG INTEGER. Probably a good move for us. However there is a part of me that thinks given our situation - limited alumni money and interest, limited fan base, limited curriculum and the Hill's attitude - that we might be better off in a second division playing the likes of N. C. State for a championship as opposed to trying to beat our head against the wall against impossible odds - The Ohio State University. If we are going to do it though, I'd rather it be the BIG INTEGER than the SEC to give us some chance for success.
Agreed. I don’t see the BIG10 or SEC really clamoring to add us, we currently bring nothing to the table athletically besides history and location. At the moment we have middling baseball and basketball programs, a failing football program, poor fan and admin support, with a changing alumni base that is more and more disinterested in Georgia Tech athletics.

To be honest I really don’t even know if I buy the mentality that another conference “gets access to the Atlanta market” with the addition of GT….the cold reality is that the SEC owns this town.

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
The ACC 'media days' will for sure be interesting. We as GT need to really decide where our future lies and where our priorities lie.

I personally believe that we will not get back into the SEC without the help of others and it's a very slim possibility that the BIG10 comes calling. So what are similar schools on our level going to do? Honestly the Big 12 is looking like the next 'power leftovers' conference. Perhaps we are going to end up there with Cincinnati, BYU, UCF, Houston, and the rest of the traditional teams that are more on our budget / competitiveness level. The ACC should have taken the steps before to add teams but now it's the one under threat not the Big 12.

In the end, I see the SEC and BIG10 around 20 power teams each in the "A level" college football. All other schools in something like the Big 12 "AA ball" with around 30-40 teams.

How do you all see it?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The only question is which one will be the last to step uo Big 12 or ACC , I think the ACC will be done in the next 5 years if not sooner.
I think this is a good question, and it provokes a thought about the GOR.

Given the fluid situation in conference alignment, it seems the GOR actually hurts the ACC if expansion is required to survive. That is especially true if there is so much money in jumping ship that the old agreement isn't really an obstacle to leaving.

Let's assume for a moment that ND is heading to the expanded B1G. That leaves the ACC and Big 12 both looking to survive in the new "mega conference" world They can't reasonably expect and SEC or B1G team to join the ACC, so the old Big 12 has to be the target conference. I would think Kansas and WVU and some of the Texas teams would be prime candidates. None of those teams are going to join the ACC and commit to a GOR in this sports environment.

The SEC is not going to stand pat. I am hearing rumors this morning that Clemson, UNC, FSU and Miami are exploring options.