Conference Realignment

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I want FSU and ESPN to go to court ASAP...for no other reason than answering the 2027 "can they, or can they not" question of ESPN's unilateral option.

If everything we've read that the ACC is ESPN's most profitable collegiate asset, than ESPN would be financially unwise to terminate.

However, if there are other things at play, you just never know.
There are other things at play.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I suspect the ACC would be happy for them to leave as long as they live up to the contracts they signed.

That means they pay the ACC the exit fee and the ACC retains the rights to the media until 2036.

Bottom line is they are free to leave the ACC just abide by the contract.
Oh, and don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. (Not you Red, don't want you leaving 😀, but FSU can go and *********** )

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Isnt it about time for espn to step in and demand negotiations by the crummy teams so we can plan for 25 / 26. Time for those leaving to pony up, time to drop the gor giant long term exit fee bs, time to drop every team gets the same tv deal.

Espn will sweeten the deal so we can get lawyers to shift back from i sue you/ you sue me to making a new more flexible deal.

Time to match the PORTAL /NIL world - with some rules.

Coaches freely move arround. Players move around - some move up, some stay, some move down.

I expect espn will give acc a good base pay , but really reward for exciting / winning football. May require historically bottom dweller to step aside for a stud g5 team to step up ( ad revenue) . The old college prez football coasts along on auto pilot is going to end.

I think Gt could thrive if we get school wide support.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Isnt it about time for espn to step in and demand negotiations by the crummy teams so we can plan for 25 / 26. Time for those leaving to pony up, time to drop the gor giant long term exit fee bs, time to drop every team gets the same tv deal.

Espn will sweeten the deal so we can get lawyers to shift back from i sue you/ you sue me to making a new more flexible deal.

Time to match the PORTAL /NIL world - with some rules.

Coaches freely move arround. Players move around - some move up, some stay, some move down.

I expect espn will give acc a good base pay , but really reward for exciting / winning football. May require historically bottom dweller to step aside for a stud g5 team to step up ( ad revenue) . The old college prez football coasts along on auto pilot is going to end.

I think Gt could thrive if we get school wide support.
All that does is further divide CFB and skew in favor of larger programs. College football should follow the NFL and have one organization negotiate the broadcast rights that are then evenly distributed based on some criteria.

I personally think CFB should reorganize just like high schools do and create tiers based on school size, resources, etc. Even the Premier League model would be an improvement. Regrettably, every school is pursuing its own self interests and wrecking the game.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want FSU and ESPN to go to court ASAP...for no other reason than answering the 2027 "can they, or can they not" question of ESPN's unilateral option.

If everything we've read that the ACC is ESPN's most profitable collegiate asset, than ESPN would be financially unwise to terminate.

However, if there are other things at play, you just never know.
It is not a good look for FSU when the FL Attorney General wants to have the ESPN contract made public and ESPN and all the Power conferences are opposed to what he wants to do.
FSU is really not making any friends in this process.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
All that does is further divide CFB and skew in favor of larger programs. College football should follow the NFL and have one organization negotiate the broadcast rights that are then evenly distributed based on some criteria.

I personally think CFB should reorganize just like high schools do and create tiers based on school size, resources, etc. Even the Premier League model would be an improvement. Regrettably, every school is pursuing its own self interests and wrecking the game.
Why would the SEC and Big10 want to do this? They have all of the leverage. They represent 34 schools so it's not just a few schools being selfish. The people who don't like this are the ones on the outside looking in. If there was one big organization of 50 or 60 or more schools, the total revenue would be huge, but would Michigan's piece of that bigger pie be bigger than the piece they currently get from the Big10?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Why would the SEC and Big10 want to do this? They have all of the leverage. They represent 34 schools so it's not just a few schools being selfish. The people who don't like this are the ones on the outside looking in. If there was one big organization of 50 or 60 or more schools, the total revenue would be huge, but would Michigan's piece of that bigger pie be bigger than the piece they currently get from the Big10?
Why would they want to do this? It could lead to more money and less exposure. It might not, but I think it is possible.

I am not saying that this will definitely happen, but I do think it is a very real possibility. If the Big10 and SEC become their own thing of P2, then a players' union would likely want to negotiate separately with them. If there are three levels, P2, subP2, and G5, then the union would likely want to negotiate separate deals with each group. Making the group larger would allow the negotiations to be with regard to the group, not the individual schools or smaller groups. It would allow the league to push for salary pool based on media revenue instead of based on total revenue. Another thing it could to is provide opportunities to areas/regions to be in contention. The NFL has proven that the model where every team has a chance at the beginning of the season raises interest and money for the group as a whole. The NFL schedule is based on previous year's records. When you play a team from another division, the top team in the division doesn't play the bottom team from another division. They play an equivalent team. Top teams play top teams. Bad teams play bad teams. Normal teams play normal teams. You end up with a lot of good games, instead of a lot of blowouts. It also means that almost every fan can look at their schedule at the beginning of the year and feel like their team has a chance. You don't get that excitement spread across the entire fan base in college football. It keeps people interested and excited even after their own team is eliminated.

I rambled a lot. As I said, I am not saying that this will happen. I am just responding to your question. There are some potential reasons that the Big10 and SEC might get involved in such a league. Potential to increase overall revenue, and potential to minimize obligations to players' unions.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would they want to do this? It could lead to more money and less exposure. It might not, but I think it is possible.

I am not saying that this will definitely happen, but I do think it is a very real possibility. If the Big10 and SEC become their own thing of P2, then a players' union would likely want to negotiate separately with them. If there are three levels, P2, subP2, and G5, then the union would likely want to negotiate separate deals with each group. Making the group larger would allow the negotiations to be with regard to the group, not the individual schools or smaller groups. It would allow the league to push for salary pool based on media revenue instead of based on total revenue. Another thing it could to is provide opportunities to areas/regions to be in contention. The NFL has proven that the model where every team has a chance at the beginning of the season raises interest and money for the group as a whole. The NFL schedule is based on previous year's records. When you play a team from another division, the top team in the division doesn't play the bottom team from another division. They play an equivalent team. Top teams play top teams. Bad teams play bad teams. Normal teams play normal teams. You end up with a lot of good games, instead of a lot of blowouts. It also means that almost every fan can look at their schedule at the beginning of the year and feel like their team has a chance. You don't get that excitement spread across the entire fan base in college football. It keeps people interested and excited even after their own team is eliminated.

I rambled a lot. As I said, I am not saying that this will happen. I am just responding to your question. There are some potential reasons that the Big10 and SEC might get involved in such a league. Potential to increase overall revenue, and potential to minimize obligations to players' unions.
I would think the other networks (CBS and Fox) would also like the GOR protected. At its ugliest, if everything becomes public and the NCAA being so weak, I could envision each school at some point cutting their own deals.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Wasn't the NCAA the one organization that was run 100% by the college presidents. It could have done something along the lines of paying the players as employees, giving them transfer rights, and negotiating a nation wide TV deal. They fretted and lots of things happened, but now its is all broken. The transition to order will take a while.

GT and the acc transition now rests solely with the mercy of the TV guys who now have the power to make us renegotiate. They will act nice, but not real nice to the teams that don't put a good product onto the field.

IMO, the sorting of teams that don't want to play big ball will be done over the next few years.

Over long term - they will sort out into more flexible and back to regional conferences.

The crazy nil, portal stuff will calm down.

I think that good games from ACC and others will get on tv - preempting (sic) the crummy sec /b1g TV games. Its all about viewership.

We just need to put a good product on the field in 24 /25 and we will have our brand back. go jackets

OUR DEBT says GT needs to get tv money so we can't move to the nerd only conference. We ahave great advantages from a football prespective

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't the NCAA the one organization that was run 100% by the college presidents. It could have done something along the lines of paying the players as employees, giving them transfer rights, and negotiating a nation wide TV deal. They fretted and lots of things happened, but now its is all broken. The transition to order will take a while.

GT and the acc transition now rests solely with the mercy of the TV guys who now have the power to make us renegotiate. They will act nice, but not real nice to the teams that don't put a good product onto the field.

IMO, the sorting of teams that don't want to play big ball will be done over the next few years.

Over long term - they will sort out into more flexible and back to regional conferences.

I think that good games from ACC and others will get on tv - preempting (sic) the crummy sec /b1g TV games. Its all about viewership.

We just need to put a good product on the field in 24 /25 and we will have our brand back. go jackets
The NCAA (college presidents) did do this. They were sued by the mutts, and lost.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

OUR DEBT says GT needs to get tv money so we can't move to the nerd only conference. We ahave great advantages from a football prespective
NCAA run by a Board of Governors (9 voting members, 7 ex-officio non-voting members)

Voting Members
- 5 University Presidents
- 1 former athlete
- 1 Conference Commissioner
- 1 US Army Surgeon General
- 1 VP of Boston Celtics

Non-Voting Members
- 2 Former Student Athletes
- 1 University President
- 2 AD
- 1 University VP
- NCAA President (Charlie Baker)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA (college presidents) did do this. They were sued by the mutts, and lost.
That's one of the big problems with the NCAA. It is an agreement by the member institution presidents to abide by the rules, i.e. self enforcement. However there is no real enforcement power, no subpoena power, and most presidents let their AD's represent them with the NCAA. The fox is guarding the hen house. Empires must be protected at all cost.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It is not a good look for FSU when the FL Attorney General wants to have the ESPN contract made public and ESPN and all the Power conferences are opposed to what he wants to do.
FSU is really not making any friends in this process.

In the end, whether SEC or B1G wants FSU/Clemson/Whatever ACC school, the sanctity of the GOR and the business/media agreements supersedes any one member (or potential member). IMO, all the conferences and networks getting together to slap FSU and the state of Florida in the butt are protecting their business interests, and setting up a precedent that agreements mean something, and a state government intervening shouldn't release any one school from their obligations. This isn't about FSU and Florida per se, it's about a much bigger and important principle: Contracts and written commitments are the thread that hold it all together. Otherwise, if Florida and FSU get their way, you'll have chaos among members every offseason.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and right now, FSU and Florida is every conference's and media company's enemy for trying to undue the contract they agreed to.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Help me find where the ncaa leadership proposed a united negotation with tv deals - even the acc got their gor way to inflexible deal done. This should have been job 1.

No, ncaa had weak sause leaders coasting along as they were bailed out by tv revenue escalating. Happens all the time in business when a giant rising tide hides the flaws.

I am good with sec and b1g thinking they are the unbeatable p2. Things have a way of turning.

P2 teams in small markets that stay in bottom 1/3 (mississippi st , Arkansas/Missouri, iowa/ nebraska. ) will gradually look worse than big market teams who are winning in non p2 conferences. In 5 years when sanity returns i think gt will be looking good. Remember the gt degree has prestige.

slugboy

Staff member
Help me find where the ncaa leadership proposed a united negotation with tv deals - even the acc got their gor way to inflexible deal done. This should have been job 1.

No, ncaa had weak sause leaders coasting along as they were bailed out by tv revenue escalating. Happens all the time in business when a giant rising tide hides the flaws.

I am good with sec and b1g thinking they are the unbeatable p2. Things have a way of turning.

P2 teams in small markets that stay in bottom 1/3 (mississippi st , Arkansas/Missouri, iowa/ nebraska. ) will gradually look worse than big market teams who are winning in non p2 conferences. In 5 years when sanity returns i think gt will be looking good. Remember the gt degree has prestige.
The ncaa doesn’t have the broadcast rights. It used to be the CFA (rip), and now it’s the schools or the conferences.

If someone from the NCAA could sweet talk the B1G and SEC into common cause with the B12 and SEC, then maybe (assuming it survived an anti trust suit). The P2 aren’t super interested, and I don’t think the broadcast partners are either

Link: March Madness might look very different if not for the Supreme Court.

source:%20The%20Conversation
https://search.app/2dc3gAV98BG4pKro8

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The ncaa doesn’t have the broadcast rights. It used to be the CFA (rip), and now it’s the schools or the conferences.

If someone from the NCAA could sweet talk the B1G and SEC into common cause with the B12 and SEC, then maybe (assuming it survived an anti trust suit). The P2 aren’t super interested, and I don’t think the broadcast partners are either

Link: March Madness might look very different if not for the Supreme Court.

source:%20The%20Conversation
https://search.app/2dc3gAV98BG4pKro8
From that article, the NCAA controlled the rights starting in 1951 up until the lawsuit by Oklahoma and the mutts. (Related to the CFA which negotiated a TV deal in 1981) While the NCAA was controlling them, they only allowed one game per week to be broadcast nationally.

slugboy

Staff member
From that article, the NCAA controlled the rights starting in 1951 up until the lawsuit by Oklahoma and the mutts. (Related to the CFA which negotiated a TV deal in 1981) While the NCAA was controlling them, they only allowed one game per week to be broadcast nationally.
Yep