Conference Realignment

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And they opened their response with a quote designed to show how happy Clemson was with the agreement...

...from 2016.

Is it possible that Clemson's sentiments have changed in the past eight years?

I think so, too.
Yep. What seemed like a great deal in 2016 doesn't seem so good right now, but, like mortgage interest rates, you are stuck with the deal unless you want to buy your way out of it.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Random Observations:

Perhaps its just a historical relic, but the SEC's members include not one but two premier programs from several of the states that make up its geographic footprint - though not all. Florida, Georgia and South Carolina are exceptions, for example.

Adding Clemson, FSU and, dare I say it, Tech would continue that tradition of fostering in-state rivalries which makes college football special. UNC and NCSU along with UVA and VT would do the same.

That would bring their total membership to 23. Do they expand to 24? or 32?

The Big 10 appears to be building a conference that covers the country coast-to-coast while the SEC is doubling down on the Southeast with its rapidly growing population.

Interesting (and frustrating) times.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We don’t need to back each other into corners about this. It’s possible to have several conflicting feelings at the same time. Let me throw a few out.

1. FSU doesn’t have a sound legal case but it’s possible they do so much damage to the ACC brand that they get what they want. Clemson increases that likelihood.

2. The ACC dissolving is a sad prospect for those who like historical rivalries and appreciate regional matchups but Tech should have joined the B1G when they had the chance.

3. NIL has, sadly, probably ruined amateur football for good but better to embrace the new reality through gritted teeth than wish for what will never be again.

Or, put simply, I can agree with almost every opposing viewpoint expressed on here but don’t feel a strong ideological need to defend any of them because we are in uncharted waters. Ten years from now, maybe, we will see clearly what was happening and know Tech either made the right decision or was left behind in the dustbin of history.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Tech wont be proactive to leave and join fsu and the group which we should.

Instead they will sit back and watch. Do nothing. Get left out. Then complain.

Meanwhile football will migrate to two larger conferences and thats all that will matter.
I hear you, but I don't think that's why J Batt was hired.

I suspect he's working the phones behind closed doors.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
We don’t need to back each other into corners about this. It’s possible to have several conflicting feelings at the same time. Let me throw a few out.

1. FSU doesn’t have a sound legal case but it’s possible they do so much damage to the ACC brand that they get what they want. Clemson increases that likelihood.

2. The ACC dissolving is a sad prospect for those who like historical rivalries and appreciate regional matchups but Tech should have joined the B1G when they had the chance.

3. NIL has, sadly, probably ruined amateur football for good but better to embrace the new reality through gritted teeth than wish for what will never be again.

Or, put simply, I can agree with almost every opposing viewpoint expressed on here but don’t feel a strong ideological need to defend any of them because we are in uncharted waters. Ten years from now, maybe, we will see clearly what was happening and know Tech either made the right decision or was left behind in the dustbin of history.
^This.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hear you, but I don't think that's why J Batt was hired.

I suspect he's working the phones behind closed doors.
Exactly. Running your mouth can be a strategy. Working hard behind closed doors is a different strategy. The former can work but has the potential to create lots of irrevocable damage to your brand. The latter may or may not work but rarely does further damage.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Random Observations:

Perhaps its just a historical relic, but the SEC's members include not one but two premier programs from several of the states that make up its geographic footprint - though not all. Florida, Georgia and South Carolina are exceptions, for example.

Adding Clemson, FSU and, dare I say it, Tech would continue that tradition of fostering in-state rivalries which makes college football special. UNC and NCSU along with UVA and VT would do the same.

The Big 10 appears to be building a conference that covers the country coast-to-coast while the SEC is doubling down on the Southeast with its rapidly growing population.

Clemson and gt were happily taking espns money will alumni donated 30mm and 11mm respectively.
A delta of 20mm approx.

Now Clemson is unhappy because their alumni have upped their donations BY 30MM AND GT HAS UPPED THIER DONATIONS BY 2MM.
A delta of about 50MM

The new gt prez sounds good but what does espn think the previous leadership of Gt? GT TOOK THE MONEY AND DID NOTHING.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Random Observations:

I hear what you're saying, but we will never be invited back to the SEC. uga, Ole miss, and Miss St. will see to that.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing about dudes in their basements shouting on the Internet is that they are, IMO, usually more knowledgeable, more passionate, more focused, more attentive, and better connected than dudes who merely pop in to post on a fan forum once in a while.

And I'm in that latter group.
There is no doubt about that… The ACC needs more of them for our PR campaign. Do you have a basement and some ACC bedsheets? You could be our guy!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Tech wont be proactive to leave and join fsu and the group which we should.

Instead they will sit back and watch. Do nothing. Get left out. Then complain.

Meanwhile football will migrate to two larger conferences and thats all that will matter.
sometimes it's the ones who are silent who are working the hardest.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
You think so?
Well, yeah.

Anyone who was in a position to influence the outcome of that skirmish had to have been at least 30 years old in 1964. That makes them 90 or more today.

Not saying fans on either side weren't BORN yet, but old enough to remember?

It's like a gathering of the last D-Day veterans or the last folks to own a Ford Pinto. The list of invitees gets smaller every year.