Conference Realignment

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Their loss to Northern Illinois may have effectively ended their playoff hopes this year since they don't have a 'path' through a conference title. If it holds true, I wonder if that would have them re-think things?
I agree. In the ACC they could still lose another game or two if they won the championship game.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
While I appreciate your logic, I am going to respectfully disagree. The only way for FSU to get into the playoff is for the SEC to get shut out of the playoff. That would NEVER have been allowed to happen. Even if Jordan Travis was healthy, the committee would have found some other excuse to put Alabama in the playoff over FSU.
BS

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If what this article describes is true, then the ACC must feel like they are going to lose the lawsuits. Why else would you try to appease FSU with offers to pay out based on media value, and shorten the GOR term?
Also, has the ACC not learned from the appeasement they just implemented? FSU wanted unequal revenue sharing, they were given some, and their response was to slap the ACC with a lawsuit.

Edit to add: Shortening the term of the GOR makes no sense, as it was/is a requirement for the ESPN contract. Unless the ACC is hearing from ESPN that they won't extend, which is not what the word on the street is saying. Some of this stuff sounds like it's just rumor-mongering.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
How muc
If what this article describes is true, then the ACC must feel like they are going to lose the lawsuits. Why else would you try to appease FSU with offers to pay out based on media value, and shorten the GOR term?
Also, has the ACC not learned from the appeasement they just implemented? FSU wanted unequal revenue sharing, they were given some, and their response was to slap the ACC with a lawsuit.

Edit to add: Shortening the term of the GOR makes no sense, as it was/is a requirement for the ESPN contract. Unless the ACC is hearing from ESPN that they won't extend, which is not what the word on the street is saying. Some of this stuff sounds like it's just rumor-mongering.
I didn’t read past college presidents....

So why the hxxx didnt they do this in off season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

From the article:

Though the standard belief is that the contract extends through 2036, that’s not actually true. The deal ends in 2027. ESPN must elect by next February to opt in for another nine years. The ACC and ESPN have been in active negotiations over the extension, conversations that Phillips has described as “positive and productive.”

Given that would fall under the media deal (or trade secrets) I wonder what the source of that is since the contents of the media deal is under lock and key and all parties are under NDA. If that is indeed true, ESPN really holds the fate of the ACC.

In other news, I brought up GT not making a big enough deal that the Atlanta market is the single biggest media market under the ACC portfolio. IF FSU and Clemson want to play the unequal revenue game, GT needs to make a big deal about how our membership brings in the Atlanta market carriage fees. Maybe GT should get a bigger share of the media revenues because of that. The game can be played in multiple ways...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
From the article:

Though the standard belief is that the contract extends through 2036, that’s not actually true. The deal ends in 2027. ESPN must elect by next February to opt in for another nine years. The ACC and ESPN have been in active negotiations over the extension, conversations that Phillips has described as “positive and productive.”
What is Dellenger's source for that? The only "source" I have seen for such a belief is the FSU lawsuit. There hasn't been any other actual source for that. The lawsuit says that is the case, but only as a statement. It doesn't have any language nor any explanation about that claim. I won't say that it is not true, but I haven't seen anything convincing that it is true.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What is Dellenger's source for that? The only "source" I have seen for such a belief is the FSU lawsuit. There hasn't been any other actual source for that. The lawsuit says that is the case, but only as a statement. It doesn't have any language nor any explanation about that claim. I won't say that it is not true, but I haven't seen anything convincing that it is true.

The source of it is something I also asked.

Given that would fall under the media deal (or trade secrets) I wonder what the source of that is since the contents of the media deal is under lock and key and all parties are under NDA. If that is indeed true, ESPN really holds the fate of the ACC.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Nothingburger article to drive clicks imo, sounds like info coming from an FSU "source". "Explored a proposal" = FSU/Clemson came up with a proposal and told the rest of the ACC this would keep them in the conference past 2027, and then the other ACC presidents read it (and laughed).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The source of it is something I also asked.

This was also published a few days after there was an article on the Rivals Clemson site that says pretty much the same things. I don't have access to that site, but that is the reactions I have read from people who have read it.

I have gotten to the point with realignment and FSU/Clemson lawsuit news that I don't really put any belief at all in articles/Twitter/Youtube stories, unless I can read official documents for myself. Or at least the stories need to have actual statements from people who would be in a position to know.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
See AP article below by Ralph Russo. Ralph notes that the reporting is from "AP Sources". ESPN is also reporting info on their crawl. ESPN has been pretty quiet about the Clemson-FSU situation until this short report on their crawl.

Last edited:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
A pretty good article by ESPN's Andrea Adelson and David Hale on the ACC talks concerning a revised revenue sharing plan. They claim to have talked to a half dozen ACC school administrators
who would be open to a revised plan. They also say an approved plan is not imminent.