Conference Realignment

CEB

Helluva Engineer
There’s an interesting read that CVC, a PE firm, may inject $1 Billion into the B12 to be distributed to members or used to buy out FSU and Clemson, making them able to join the conference. The downside is that those programs will likely have to cut costs and sports programs to pay the investment back.

Big bets.
Anyone involved in that is surely more savvy than I, but I’m just not seeing the numbers work… I don’t think the B12 has enough money to keep FSU happy, much less FSU AND PE!
Will be interesting to watch, regardless…

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not sure how private equity “cut costs and grow margins” fits with the growing deficit spending that AAs are doing. It usually means lots of job cuts and longer hours.

Pro sports have the advantage that you can cash in on the franchise sale value. That’s not something for college teams.

The PE firms are coming, though. They’ll be more organized than the NCAA.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure how private equity “cut costs and grow margins” fits with the growing deficit spending that AAs are doing. It usually means lots of job cuts and longer hours.

Pro sports have the advantage that you can cash in on the franchise sale value. That’s not something for college teams.

Do you understand what the ROI is for large PE funding of college athletics? For example, it was reported that FSU was seeking $500 million in PE funds in order to buy their way out of the ACC. PE investors require large returns on their investments and usually want large returns, plus a near term exit. How would FSU be able to pay a 20% return ($100 million per year), offer a way to exit at a highly appreciated amount, and still make more revenue than they get from the ACC? (or even any revenue at all?) Financially it doesn't make any sense to me.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure how private equity “cut costs and grow margins” fits with the growing deficit spending that AAs are doing.
Take the B12. Capitalize the 2024 conference operating profit. Take $1B, buy FSU and Clemson, renegotiate media rights value. Find a few new sources of revenue and pay down conference debt. Exit in 3 years with a much higher operating profit. Guaranteed against media rights. Interesting.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The PE proposal I read said the PE investors would take a declining percentage of the growth in revenue over a 20 year period It started at something like 25%.

Normally, PE wants to have a significant role in key management decisions. Would they want to fire the coach if the team went 4-8 and revenue actually declined? Or, would it be the AD that gets fired?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Take the B12. Capitalize the 2024 conference operating profit. Take $1B, buy FSU and Clemson, renegotiate media rights value. Find a few new sources of revenue and pay down conference debt. Exit in 3 years with a much higher operating profit. Guaranteed against media rights. Interesting.

Further back in this thread, I made this post in response to @Richard7125's contention that B12 revenue distribution was a zero-sum game and paying FSU & Clemson to join would not make financial sense.
Your analysis assumes that the BIG12's income is constrained by its current ESPN contract. There are other possibilities.

I'm not advocating that this will happen, only that I wouldn't be shocked at Yormark coming up with some bold schemes to make it work.

At the recently concluded BIG12 Media Says, Yormark stated "I will not stop until we are the number one conference in America." Sounds like a pipe dream, but I give the guy credit for having more vision than Jim Phillips.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think the legal dust settles until all GOR related issues are resolved. It needs to be defeated or released/ bought out.
Although it could TECHNICALLY happen, there really isn’t a feasible scenario in which the BIG or SEC is engaged with a team that is bound by GOR to another conference… if that’s what you meant.

Now, conferences admitting FSU might have risks to their own GOR! FSU has proven they aren’t fans of these agreements. Wonder if they would sign up again with another conference?:unsure:

Maybe I didn't say clearly enough. That's what I meant by legal dust settles is the GOR legal issues are resolved. The SEC and BIG aren't touching this issue until verdicts are rendered or the cased is settled out of court.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe I didn't say clearly enough. That's what I meant by legal dust settles is the GOR legal issues are resolved. The SEC and BIG aren't touching this issue until verdicts are rendered or the cased is settled out of court.
I believe you are correct. The ACC is unlikely to negotiate the validity of GOR and will appeal as far as necessary to to protect this contract. Settlement is far, far off into the future. If at all.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There’s an interesting read that CVC, a PE firm, may inject $1 Billion into the B12 to be distributed to members or used to buy out FSU and Clemson, making them able to join the conference. The downside is that those programs will likely have to cut costs and sports programs to pay the investment back.

Big bets.

I think FSU and Clemson may be B12 bound if they get out of the ACC GOR, but I would be surprised if the B12 found the money or want to pay for their expenses.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No.
If the whole thing is about media value, no one is going anywhere without their media rights. It’s a fun exercise but a virtual impossibility.
Now maybe FSU thinks that P2 membership is more about survival and would sacrifice money and media for it… that would be a really desperate and stupid act at this point. I’d be interested to see how it goes for them!
it's what SMU did. It's what FSU was looking at initially when they talked about getting 1/2 billion dollars to get out of the conference because by the time 2036 rolled around, it would be too late. I think they quickly saw the fallacy in that logic.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Is taking PE money ever not a desperation move? PE wants high returns and short timelines because they aren’t expecting all their deals to work, as I understand it. If you have more confidence, more of a sure thing, you can find cheaper, less risky, money.

i dunno how much people who may have been in the academic world a long time would understand that, but it smells real bad.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

PE is going to do to sports, especially at the college level, what PE does in every industry: Suck up any and all available profit in the short term and leave it in shambles for the long term. PE may be more organized than the NCAA, but they’ll have zero interest in creating or maintaining a fair and working system that operates far into the future.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Is taking PE money ever not a desperation move? PE wants high returns and short timelines because they aren’t expecting all their deals to work, as I understand it. If you have more confidence, more of a sure thing, you can find cheaper, less risky, money.

i dunno how much people who may have been in the academic world a long time would understand that, but it smells real bad.
Zero overlap with FSU athletics.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
it's what SMU did. It's what FSU was looking at initially when they talked about getting 1/2 billion dollars to get out of the conference because by the time 2036 rolled around, it would be too late. I think they quickly saw the fallacy in that logic.
Sort of… SMU didn’t leave behind their media rights. They paid an exit fee and left whole. Aside from that, just the values of each scenario make it apples and oranges.
SMU did concede media payout from the ACC, but even without the media payout, they still make more in the ACC. Figures I saw were a $10m exit fee to AAC and their future ACC revenue would be $3m-$4m more than they were making in the AAC. Essentially a three year payoff.
For FSU to buy out with their media rights, the roundly suspected figure is $500m. For their situation to mirror SMU, they’d need to find a conference home with revenues in excess of $200m annually ($160m more than ACC annual) to payoff over three years.
It was a no-brainer for SMU even with the concessions. Far from it for FSU.
If I’m wrong on SMU figures, I’ll happily accept correction, but there would have to be some pretty big costs to SMU that I’m not seeing to make the scenarios comparable

Schlandy

Georgia Tech Fan
It’s very strange how the general consensus of Tech has gone from being relegated to being valued by the B12 weirdos over the last few weeks. Personally I’d take moving to the b12 only if we had no other choice, it’s at best even with the current ACC

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It’s very strange how the general consensus of Tech has gone from being relegated to being valued by the B12 weirdos over the last few weeks. Personally I’d take moving to the b12 only if we had no other choice, it’s at best even with the current ACC
What? Nobody is talking about Tech moving to the Big 12.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The likelihood that GT moves to another conference depends on the ACC folding up almost completely. There are a couple of B12 guys on You Tube claiming the ACC will fold on August 15 and six teams are moving to the B12. It's all nonsense.
What gets me is when people describe such diatribes on Twitter or Youtube as "the latest news on expansion". Either I am simply a curmudgeon, or the public understanding of the difference between "news" and -- "gossip", "rumor", "bluster", etc has been completely lost.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What gets me is when people describe such diatribes on Twitter or Youtube as "the latest news on expansion". Either I am simply a curmudgeon, or the public understanding of the difference between "news" and -- "gossip", "rumor", "bluster", etc has been completely lost.

Those two aren't mutually exclusive....

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: