Conference Realignment

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
Meh. I know that area pretty well. My brother went to FSU. Certainly popular but the demographics have changed .. a lot.
I grew up in Albany and Americus - we were surrounded by FSU fans. I have family in PCB - they're mostly FSU fans. Hurricanes have caused a lot of people to move out of the area - but the folks that stayed are largely dyed in the wool Nole fans.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I grew up in Albany and Americus - we were surrounded by FSU fans. I have family in PCB - they're mostly FSU fans. Hurricanes have caused a lot of people to move out of the area - but the folks that stayed are largely dyed in the wool Nole fans.
It’s not an issue that I am passionate about. In my youth, coastal Alabama was an Auburn stronghold. That’s long gone. It’s LSU-Bama now as that area has seen a lot of Louisana move in during the last few decades.

I vacation in Seaside. Haven’t seen a Nole probably ever. All anecdotal. Again, not something worth debating.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Eh...the Florida panhandle is where the Floridian college football fans reside - down to about Orlando. Miami is a pro city. Half of south Florida are transplants from the northeast (i.e. not big college football fans).
If these leagues want to get closer and closer to NFL viewers and dollars they gotta go after new territories, not just existing ones. They've got no shortage of existing-fanbase programs (Nebraska, for instance, for a more recent add).

And Miami in particular brings a lot of sleeper national bandwagon fan potential. If they ever got good. They've only got maybe a decade of that left.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
If these leagues want to get closer and closer to NFL viewers and dollars they gotta go after new territories, not just existing ones. They've got no shortage of existing-fanbase programs (Nebraska, for instance, for a more recent add).

And Miami in particular brings a lot of sleeper national bandwagon fan potential. If they ever got good. They've only got maybe a decade of that left.
Yeah, Miami is certainly a fair weather city - and UM is absolutely a bandwagon fanbase! But I wouldn't hold my breath on Miami turning the corner any time soon.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Miami doesn’t have the discipline. If you have to call county to see who will be released pretrial to determine your roster for Saturday, you are not in a good place. I loved Schnellenberger’s Miami. The current one, not so much.

Da U does have a good, but smalll, fanbase. Fun road game. Stone crabs are in season after 10-15.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Eh. Nielsen-rated viewership is definitely a big draw in the streaming world. But still, even as cable continues to decline, carriage fees are a LOT of money on the table.

Those of us who watch the ratings know that Nielsen ratings are a self-licking ice cream cone. FSU can tout how much higher its viewership is because it's on the major networks for a lot of matchups. And it gets those matchups on major networks because it has high ratings.

I think the conferences definitely look at Nielsen-rated viewership - but their commissioners are smart enough to discount it as a sole factor, or a single question. It's that, it's carriage fees, it's fanbase, it's type of university, it's geographically-favorable location, it's AAU status. It's all of the things I've mentioned here, and more.

This is a subject I know very little about. But I tried my AI chat to see it there was general info on the breakdown of Carriage fees versus viewership (Advertising Revenue). I asked for this in relation to ESPN. Of course this is for all ESPN Sports, not just College Sports. See below for the reply.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This is a subject I know very little about. But I tried my AI chat to see it there was general info on the breakdown of Carriage fees versus viewership (Advertising Revenue). I asked for this in relation to ESPN. Of course this is for all ESPN Sports, not just College Sports. See below for the reply.

Carriage fees still swamp everything else if those numbers are correct. I know that streaming is the growth engine and Carriage fees may be declining, but subscription revenue still has a ways to go to catch up.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Sankey has described that in detail. People talk about expansion but Florida already watches CFB. California does not (as much). I think the challenge for the Big 10 is to make CFB popular on the West Coast.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Flan is a favorite.
U can't call him that guy, or dumb af.
He is the measuring stick for all coaches.
He made a mistake, a big mistake he tried to rectify, but certain SEC coaches ****ed us.
Deep breath.

Listen to the men who played for him. He wasn’t dumb, he was a brilliant coach. Not perfect, but one of the best. Bear Bryant once said of Dodd, wtte, he can take his players and beat you or he could take your players and beat you.

He made what was ultimately a mistake, yes, but he was double crossed by the Alabama president who had promised to vote for Dodd’s proposed changes. Bear Bryant always regretted that, and sponsored the move for Tech’s readmission. It was the leader of two programs Dodd beat regularly that kept us out - Auburn and UGA.

A lot of folks don’t realize that by early 1978: 1) Tech had beaten UGA 4 of 9 games since 1969 and the series record was 32-30-5 in UGA’s favor, and 2) Tech had beaten Auburn twice in a row (after an extended losing streak) and led the all-time series 38-33-3.

It is also noteworthy that Vince Dooley had played at Auburn during a period that Tech had beaten them 14 IAR.

Yes, Dodd made a mistake, however, the reason Tech is not in the SEC today is Auburn and UGA.