Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If we are talking about winning football games, yes. You give them as many fans and as much money as you want, USCe and Mississippi State are still losers.
Read forensicbuzz’s comment. He states there’s good, better, best in a conference, even Mississippi State, to use your example … is making bank by being an SEC member. And they have a helluva record in baseball,

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeti, the answer is obvious. The only thing ACC leadership has done in a long time has been to sue its own members. That’s where we are. We do nothing about the BIG/SEC/ESPN triumvirate, but we go all Rambo on our own members. It’s just funny at this point. All you can do is sit back and root for GT on Saturdays and wait for the conference to fall apart from within.
Not entirely true. When GT joined the ACC is was pretty much an 8 team basketball conference. It’s No 3 in P5 football, doubled in size, and added FSU and Miami with the expectation they would continue to win. Both collapsed.

I’m not an ACC devotee, but to say they have done nothing isn’t entirely accurate.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
It has always been about the tobacco road mafia whoever was running the show and BB was always it with them. For that reason it was never going to work. FB has been and is king in both the SEC and Big 10. They have not yet figured it out because they never cared to IMO. Just reading the boards it appears it is the ACC BB people that are hoping to keep it together some way at whatever cost to FB, they don't really care. Yes the damage is already done, what a shame.

The GT story is it's own disaster inside the ACC story. GT has a President who has committed to save the GT program and as of now I believe he will do so. It will take the help of many and will take a while but it will get done in a drastically changing environment which could be to our advantage in the long run. We have one of the best locations in the country with tremendous upside if we will take advantage of it and I for one believe we will do so.

Be patient.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Read forensicbuzz’s comment. He states there’s good, better, best in a conference, even Mississippi State, to use your example … is making bank by being an SEC member. And they have a helluva record in baseball,
He said garbage, mediocre, and pretty strong, but that doesn't change my point that no matter how much money they get they are still losers at football. Always have been, always will be.

I couldn't give less of a damn about how anyone does in baseball, that sport is boring as hell.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It has always been about the tobacco road mafia whoever was running the show and BB was always it with them. For that reason it was never going to work. FB has been and is king in both the SEC and Big 10. They have not yet figured it out because they never cared to IMO. Just reading the boards it appears it is the ACC BB people that are hoping to keep it together some way at whatever cost to FB, they don't really care. Yes the damage is already done, what a shame.

The GT story is it's own disaster inside the ACC story. GT has a President who has committed to save the GT program and as of now I believe he will do so. It will take the help of many and will take a while but it will get done in a drastically changing environment which could be to our advantage in the long run. We have one of the best locations in the country with tremendous upside if we will take advantage of it and I for one believe we will do so.

Be patient.
We have a fan attendance problem. This year in FB and BB will tell a lot if we are actually making progress in fan attendance for both major sports.

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
Not entirely true. When GT joined the ACC is was pretty much an 8 team basketball conference. It’s No 3 in P5 football, doubled in size, and added FSU and Miami with the expectation they would continue to win. Both collapsed.

I’m not an ACC devotee, but to say they have done nothing isn’t entirely accurate.
I have to say that when we added Miami and VT, I think 12 years after we added FSU, I thought that we'd hit a home run and that the ACC was going to be an absolute powerhouse conference. Remember, when Miami was announced as joining, they were only one year beyond their 2001 national championship. How could anyone have foreseen Miami's collapse? And FSU also collapsed as well, when they were just a few years beyond their glory days.

VT has held up their end of the bargain from a competitiveness and attendance standpoint. But they have a ceiling, and will never be a national program.

When we added Pitt, Louisville, and Syracuse....that felt like a desperation move to me...

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

I didn’t know we were talking 40 years ago. I’ll amend my statement then - the last 15 years the ACC leadership has done nothing to push the ACC forward. In fact, they have gotten out hustled at every turn by those leaders who think about the future and not the present. I’m not that mad at Phillips. He simply took a promotion and is collecting a check until he goes back to the BIG. It was Swofford who killed the ACC. Phillips is just the guy who gets to make the death notifications and then make the funeral arrangements. At least FSU and Clemson see whats coming.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t know we were talking 40 years ago. I’ll amend my statement then - the last 15 years the ACC leadership has done nothing to push the ACC forward. In fact, they have gotten out hustled at every turn by those leaders who think about the future and not the present. I’m not that mad at Phillips. He simply took a promotion and is collecting a check until he goes back to the BIG. It was Swofford who killed the ACC. Phillips is just the guy who gets to make the death notifications and then make the funeral arrangements. At least FSU and Clemson see whats coming.
You could put Greg Sankey in charge of the ACC and it wouldn’t change much. The simple fact is that the ACC, by comparison, doesn’t have the fanbase or institutional support that other conferences do. Until schools decide that athletics are important, there won’t be a lot of progress.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That was exactly my point - he's like Bobinski aka Bobinsquatch, nobody's really seen or heard from him. Might as well not exist.
I don’t know that this is fair, but that’s just it… we don’t know. TBH, I am not at all sure what he could have done. The ESPN contracts wee all signed before he arrived. What do you think he could have done?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know that this is fair, but that’s just it… we don’t know. TBH, I am not at all sure what he could have done. The ESPN contracts wee all signed before he arrived. What do you think he could have done?
Look for other ways to generate revenue for the conference? Champion/promote/market the conference and it's members? The ACC's image is horrible, not because of the actual product on the field but because of how the ACC allows it to be perceived. Although I don't think it's necessarily lawsuit-worthy, he comes across as very soft and his response to FSU being snubbed from the playoff was basically "that's crazy, but okay we accept your decision". Compared to Sankey who was actively promoting his conference all the time and lobbying for Bama's inclusion, Jim Phillips was basically silent.

Even if it doesn't work, you need to show the members you are trying to look out for their best interests, and Jim Phillips doesn't appear to do that. There is no fire, only meekness.

slugboy

Staff member
You could put Greg Sankey in charge of the ACC and it wouldn’t change much. The simple fact is that the ACC, by comparison, doesn’t have the fanbase or institutional support that other conferences do. Until schools decide that athletics are important, there won’t be a lot of progress.
The ACC members—and fan bases for that matter—haven’t been aligned. there’s not much you can do when there isn’t common purpose.

The attendance is related to the game day environment. Which causes the other is fair game to argue.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Totally disagree. Sankey would have had a major press conference with every ACC AD standing behind him and would have railed against his undefeated conference champ being left out. You know? Because we all knew it was coming and Sankey would have been prepared with his response. What we got from Phillips was a tweet and a white flag.

Sankey, or any competent business leader, would draw eyeballs and thoughts to his product. Instead, where is the current ACC commish? The preseason polls will be released within a few months and our commish has disappeared with our narrative. Meanwhile, Sankey is ensuring he has A large volume of teams ranked in the 2nd most important poll of the season - the preseason poll which sets the narrative.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Look for other ways to generate revenue for the conference? Champion/promote/market the conference and it's members? The ACC's image is horrible, not because of the actual product on the field but because of how the ACC allows it to be perceived. Although I don't think it's necessarily lawsuit-worthy, he comes across as very soft and his response to FSU being snubbed from the playoff was basically "that's crazy, but okay we accept your decision". Compared to Sankey who was actively promoting his conference all the time and lobbying for Bama's inclusion, Jim Phillips was basically silent.

Even if it doesn't work, you need to show the members you are trying to look out for their best interests, and Jim Phillips doesn't appear to do that. There is no fire, only meekness.
Yes, repeating again, the SEC was vociferous and forceful saying no matter what happens in the coming conference championships “you better include at least one SEC team in the playoff or else.”

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We have a fan attendance problem. This year in FB and BB will tell a lot if we are actually making progress in fan attendance for both major sports.
Of course we have a fan attendance problem, all you have to do is watch one of our games on TV to know that, it goes with what I talked about in my previous listing in this thread. I believe that will get taken care of in due time with what I see we're trying to do, I'm not looking at this year to tell me whether we will get it corrected or not, for me that would be foolish. What we're trying to do will not get done in one or two years, I'm expecting it to take roughly 5 years ( that's my uninformed estimate) in the meantime we will be building a winning program which I see going on now.

It all will take time, but the comittment has and is being made and I personally believe GT FB and sports will become an Atlanta thing as much as a GT thing. Yes in a major city with all that goes on it will never be THE Atlanta thing but it can be an Atlanta thing and I believe it will do so. I believe Big 10 fans would love to visit Atlanta and the CFBHOF and other things. Do I know that we will end up in the Big 10 absolutely not, but why wouldn't they want a fine AAU academic institution that is committed to CFB and sports programs located in the 6/7 largest media mkt and next door to the CFBHOF? I believe they absolutely would love to have that, knowing they badly want in the SE which is the best CFB area in the country. Many CFB teams will not need the really large stadium that some have going fwd because TV is where it is going to be more than game attendance, but stadiums with amenities for an outing will be where it is IMO. The cap over the freeway making the potential for our version of the grove along with things they can do inside the stadium will be important. There will be people that want to do that outing, watch number 8 SC play number 12 GT.

Some on here get upset with the lack of vision by others, but I try and remember we have engineers on here and they are trained to look at "what is" so to speak, data, documents, they don't live in the visionary world like some do, it is why some engineering companies have business people running the company. I'm not saying an engineer cannot become a good businessman/woman because many do.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think it's water over the dam at this point and there's nothing that Phillips can do.
Jim is and always will be a behind-the-scenes negotiator. He is not going to be a hell-raising media hog. It's not how he operates. Now, whether the ACC needs one or the other is a wholly different question. But, you're not going to get a bombastic, orator preaching ACC to the media and the world.

beeteam

Georgia Tech Fan
What is really problematic is how the ACC has lost the perceived high ground in basketball. The narrative for ACC basketball should be the same as SEC football. The message should be instead of teams with mediocre records (ACC is down this year), ACC teams have to play brutal conference schedules. I blame Phillips (and his predecessor) for not championing ACC dominance. The results of this are the snubs the league has been receiving at tournament time.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Jim is and always will be a behind-the-scenes negotiator. He is not going to be a hell-raising media hog. It's not how he operates. Now, whether the ACC needs one or the other is a wholly different question. But, you're not going to get a bombastic, orator preaching ACC to the media and the world.
Is there a marketing group in the ACC office. If Phillips can't do it, then hire someone that can.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like we hired the wrong guy for the position then and Phillips should have been hired for a more behind the scenes role. The conference commisioner is the mouthpiece for every conference, that person needs to speak up.