Conference Realignment

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Drad was on the radio yesterday. He basically said no school is leaving the ACC anytime soon and that the conference and schools are focused on increasing revenue (mentioned that a couple of times).
He said the ACC is in a strong position because of the GoR.

He said he has seen the GoR a few times but he relies on the lawyers and he hasn't had anyone come through the door or call him with a way to get out of it. Also mentioned that OK and TX spent over a year looking at the B12 GoR and have not challenged it and maybe that might mean something.

On Sankey and the basketball idea. That will get extreme pushback from almost every school. Keep in mind that the NCAA Basketball Tournament provides about 90% of the NCAA's revenue. Also keep in mind that that the NCAA gives roughly 85-90% of its revenue back to its member schools. That is the primary source of funding for the majority of NCAA Schools. Any attempt to mess with that - which is controlled by the NCAA - it going to be a big issue. Personally, as a CBB fan first I think it would also be a big fail. What makes the NCAA Tourney so popular is the smaller schools playing the bigger schools and the opportunity for upsets. Without that it would lose alot of viewership. If the Big 2 tried to hold their own postseason BB Tournament against everyone else imo it would get crushed in the ratings.

Also, just my opinion but I don't see the PAC and B12 getting new media deals that in anyway dwarf the ACC. They might not even get more than they are getting now.
Thanks for the recap. This is a good start to my Thursday! (y)

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Drad was on the radio yesterday. He basically said no school is leaving the ACC anytime soon and that the conference and schools are focused on increasing revenue (mentioned that a couple of times).

He said he has seen the GoR a few times but he relies on the lawyers and he hasn't had anyone come through the door or call him with a way to get out of it. Also mentioned that OK and TX spent over a year looking at the B12 GoR and have not challenged it and maybe that might mean something.

On Sankey and the basketball idea. That will get extreme pushback from almost every school. Keep in mind that the NCAA Basketball Tournament provides about 90% of the NCAA's revenue. Also keep in mind that that the NCAA gives roughly 85-90% of its revenue back to its member schools. That is the primary source of funding for the majority of NCAA Schools. Any attempt to mess with that - which is controlled by the NCAA - it going to be a big issue. Personally, as a CBB fan first I think it would also be a big fail. What makes the NCAA Tourney so popular is the smaller schools playing the bigger schools and the opportunity for upsets. Without that it would lose alot of viewership. If the Big 2 tried to hold their own postseason BB Tournament against everyone else imo it would get crushed in the ratings.

Also, just my opinion but I don't see the PAC and B12 getting new media deals that in anyway dwarf the ACC. They might not even get more than they are getting now.
About what I have been saying on another sports board and here.

Nobody's going anywhere anytime soon. GOR is doing EXACTLY what it was designed to do. Keep the member schools together and provide ideas some stability in times of upheaval.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Any way to determine how much of our AA budget comes from the NCAA BB tourney?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Define “anytime soon”? DRad gave his opinion. Great. But he is not one of the money guys. To believe the GOR will hold schools hostage until 2036 is living in a fantasy world. And no, I have no clue how or when teams will get out of the GOR (I believe it will be renegotiated within 5 years), but to expect no movement for 14 years in this day and time isn‘t respecting the sport.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Any way to determine how much of our AA budget comes from the NCAA BB tourney?

"For each game that a team plays, its conference gets a payout, which is based on its performance over a six-year rolling period. Conferences get units for their tournament participation. If a team makes it all the way to the championship game, it can earn as many as five units. If a team makes the championship game from the first-four bracket, it could earn a total of six units. In 2021, a unit was worth $337,141."

It looks like the conference would get $337,141 for every game it wins in the tournament per year for six years.

"The NCAA distributes money to conferences annually based on how many March Madness games its members play before the final. Thanks to the two North Carolina rivals, ACC teams will play 18 of those games, which translates to roughly $36.4 million paid out to the ACC in installments through 2028."

It boils down to ~$2 million per game paid over 6 years which is split evenly by conference members...after expenses are taken out for the participants?

I would guess GT will end up with > a couple of million out of it after expenses are paid. Maybe someone could clarify this further...

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Define “anytime soon”? DRad gave his opinion. Great. But he is not one of the money guys. To believe the GOR will hold schools hostage until 2036 is living in a fantasy world. And no, I have no clue how or when teams will get out of the GOR (I believe it will be renegotiated within 5 years), but to expect no movement for 14 years in this day and time isn‘t respecting the sport.
First, what do you expect him to say? The ACC is in trouble, run for your lives? No, he's the AD. He'll give some vague, but mildly positive, statement that says everything is fine.

The reality is the same organization (ESPN) that is going to be driving any future ratings goals is also going to be same organization making payouts to the ACC and others. They are absolutely be able to look at the present value of the new matchups and say, Look ... here's what we want to do. And we need your help. If you agree to this, we will give you Y.

These are business people. If the ACC can hold its nose and double its payouts, they will.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Define “hold hostage until 2036.” :D

Here’s what will happen; sometime around 2032-2034 a couple of ACC schools will announce their intention to leave the ACC. They’ll “fully join” in 2035-2037 depending upon scheduling logistics, settlement payments, and legalities.

People who say GOR won’t last will say “See! We told you there is a way out! We knew it wouldn’t last through 2036! So long, suckers!”

The others will reply, “then why are they waiting to join BIGSECY (pronounced “big sexy” TM) ? Why didn’t they leave in 2033 when they announced?”

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My $0.02 on the ACC strategy:

Go B1G route. Pre-empt the Big 12 and go after Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, Colorado, Utah to lock up the West Coast and open the ACC to bigger markets and schools with good athletic and academic programs.

Oregon/Portland: #25 TV market, AAU member, Nike money and marketing
Washington/Seattle: #14 TV market, AAU member
Stanford-Cal/San Fran-Oakland: #6 TV market, AAU members
Arizona/Phoenix: #12 TV market, AAU member
Colorado/Denver: #17 Market, AAU Member
Utah/Salt Lake: #34 Market, AAU member

All of those programs have historically good, or recently very good programs. They all have a good to great brand in football and basketball.

Academically, they are in line with traditional ACC academic values.

IMO, this is move to keep the ACC viable for both network $$$ purposes, but also down the line. It gives the ACC network increased inventory, and the ability to highlight our conference on the national level, and the post 8pm time slot during football and basketball seasons. It doesn't make the West Coast side dependent on the East Coast side for scheduling purposes, but gives the league the flexibility for compelling week to week matchups.

It also gives us leverage to negotiate with ND a full 8-9 game ACC schedule, which although it wouldn't give ACC the same revenue power of the B1G and SEC, but would help close the gap...which in the long run is probably the best scenario for ACC viability.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think there is one item the 'break the GoR' crowd tends to underplay that has become pretty clear over the last 2 weeks.
Where will a team go if it wants to leave the ACC (or any of the other P3)? A program (or its fans) can pine to leave all they want, they have to have somewhere to land. So far it appears there are very few schools remaining where they will have a place to land if they want to leave. The amount of value they have to add in order to be given an offer is really high and right now there are probably fewer than 5 teams nationally that could meet that bar?

In 2021 the only schools with a Top 10 average viewership who will not be in the SEC or B10 by 2025 are Notre Dame and Oregon (#10). The only team in the Top 20 not in one of those 2 conferences is Clemson (#19 in 2021). Clemson's avg viewership is roughly 1/3 of Ohio St's #1 total (and roughly 60% of ND's).

Big10 wouldn't take Oregon even though it is one of the highest rated non-B10 or SEC schools in viewership. I think ND is the only school that has a seat at the table - but then as long as they have access to the playoffs they will never join a conference. ND values exposure over money (and they basically print money as 'The National Catholic University') and have consistently traded the latter for the former. Outside of ND, Oregon and Clemson might eventually be able to get seats, but then who? Unless FSU got back to where it was a decade ago they are unlikely to have a seat.
Everyone can want they money, but they have to convince those that have the money to share it with them - how many do that?

ESPN actually gets more programming from the ACC than any other conference due to it being the only P5 conference where it controls 100% of the media rights, so it is unlikely to want to see the ACC fail.

slugboy

Staff member

Go B1G route. Pre-empt the Big 12 and go after Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, Colorado, Utah to lock up the West Coast and open the ACC to bigger markets and schools with good athletic and academic programs.

All of those programs have historically good, or recently very good programs. They all have a good to great brand in football and basketball.

IMO, this is move to keep the ACC viable for both network $$$ purposes, but also down the line. It gives the ACC network increased inventory, and the ability to highlight our conference on the national level, and the post 8pm time slot during football and basketball seasons. It doesn't make the West Coast side dependent on the East Coast side for scheduling purposes, but gives the league the flexibility for compelling week to week matchups.

It also gives us leverage to negotiate with ND a full 8-9 game ACC schedule, which although it wouldn't give ACC the same revenue power of the B1G and SEC, but would help close the gap...which in the long run is probably the best scenario for ACC viability.
Have a West pod, a southeast, a northeast, and a midatlantic. Just merge with the P12

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

I would go to any game in Oregon. Just got back from there, my God what a beautiful state.

Can it cost to cost conference C2C (like B1G, but 2C ---> 20)

slugboy

Staff member
Uh-oh

A0573C4C-1E15-4A89-9B96-FEBACA2DC64B.png

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

Yeah leave WSU and Oregon St behind. Grab the best of the Big 12 too and even consider SMU to get the Dallas TV market.