Conference Realignment

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So if ESPN wants out of the contract, would it not be in their interest to have the ACC dissolve? And would publically declining the option not benefit that goal? FSU, Clemson, and few others leaving would cause the contract to have to be redone, so shouldn't ESPN be encouraging that, and not threatening to sue FSU for potentially revealing details of the contract?
Im not sure ESPN wants the ACC to dissolve. They just want to move its premier teams to their premier conference. After that, and probably a few more teams leaving for the Big 10 and Big 12, they can negotiate a new contract with the leftovers of the ACC for a substantially lower rate which can fill out some of their lower tier content needs. Dissolving the ACC completely would just shuffle several programs to G5 conferences. I doubt ESPN wants that.

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
Why does the rivalry have to be "bust up?" With 10 team groupings, there will be plenty of games against teams not in their group. We still play uga every year.
It's a neutral-site game. And if you have 9 games within your 10-team group, it harder to schedule outside that group with a neutral-site game. Also, the SEC would want that game helping to decide who wins that division with Georgia, Bama, Tech, etc. If you split Florida & Georgia, you greatly de-emphasize that rivalry, and you make the continuation in Jacksonville very difficult. I don't think the SEC allows it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's a neutral-site game. And if you have 9 games within your 10-team group, it harder to schedule outside that group with a neutral-site game. Also, the SEC would want that game helping to decide who wins that division with Georgia, Bama, Tech, etc. If you split Florida & Georgia, you greatly de-emphasize that rivalry, and you make the continuation in Jacksonville very difficult. I don't think the SEC allows it.
I could get into much explanation about how something that's not going to happen (it makes too much sense and makes for an even playing field, something many of the factories do not want to happen) would not do any of what you said, but I'm not. I'll just be brief. GT leaving the SEC did not de-emphasize our rivalry. Also, with that configuration, there would be no more SEC, so it wouldn't matter.

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
I could get into much explanation about how something that's not going to happen (it makes too much sense and makes for an even playing field, something many of the factories do not want to happen) would not do any of what you said, but I'm not. I'll just be brief. GT leaving the SEC did not de-emphasize our rivalry. Also, with that configuration, there would be no more SEC, so it wouldn't matter.
Actually, it did de-emphasize our rivalry. It's still a big rivalry, but not as big as it was when we were in the SEC. And many Georgia fans don't consider us their biggest rivalry. We certainly consider it our biggest rivalry by far. But Georgia fans don't.

Honestly, I'd love to get back into the same conference with Georgia, or same league/division, whatever it's called. It would make COFH much more important than it is now from an overall standpoint (not just from our side).

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Of uga's 3 other rivals Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee, only Florida has beaten them in the past 5 years, and that was in 2020 prior to that was 2016. Auburn hasn't won since 2017, and Tennessee hasn't won since 2016, same as Tech (technically our win is more recent since it was end of season). None of their rivalries have been competitive in almost a decade.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In non GOR legal actions that impact attractiveness individual schools, we have the following items.
1. Federal express, head quartered in Memphis has DEDICATED 25$mm to Memphis U NIL. Must have lots of Memphi
2. State of Virginia passes law allowing shools to pay NIL.

3. Meanwhile, Gt brings 5$billion to state of ga that is in very large part due defense industry to north of gt campus where many Gt grads are employed. These industries offer free tutoring seminars for gt students and fund 90%(iirc) of the 1$billion gt research budget. That research is done at gt campus and some other locations.

Got to be all in if we are gojng to play qbove fcs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually, it did de-emphasize our rivalry. It's still a big rivalry, but not as big as it was when we were in the SEC. And many Georgia fans don't consider us their biggest rivalry. We certainly consider it our biggest rivalry by far. But Georgia fans don't.

Honestly, I'd love to get back into the same conference with Georgia, or same league/division, whatever it's called. It would make COFH much more important than it is now from an overall standpoint (not just from our side).
Right. Let uga lose to us 3X in a row and see how little uga fans think of us as rivals. No, it did not de-emphasize us as a rivalry. That’s been discussed ad nauseum in other threads.

However, with all the moving around and shuffling going on, traditions are being thrown out the window.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Right. Let uga lose to us 3X in a row and see how little uga fans think of us as rivals. No, it did not de-emphasize us as a rivalry. That’s been discussed ad nauseum in other threads.

However, with all the moving around and shuffling going on, traditions are being thrown out the window.
Agreed.

It did de-emphasize Tech-Alabama as a rivalry, though. But most people today don’t even know that was ever a rivalry. Same goes for Tech-Auburn.

Sad to see so many traditions torn down, it this has been the way for a long time. I think it just used to happen sparingly, whereas now it seems like the norm. The outlier today is a move that allows teams to maintain their traditions.

Candidly, I think this may be one reason why Batt told the ACC we were okay if they didn’t keep any of our protected games. Less strategic, more a matter of “showing our state of mind.” If we make a move in conference alignment, it’s possible or likely all those games and opponents will go out the window, anyway. That small move preps the fanbase for understanding “we don’t see any of those games as essential. The only one we see as needing to be maintained is COFH.”

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agreed.

It did de-emphasize Tech-Alabama as a rivalry, though. But most people today don’t even know that was ever a rivalry. Same goes for Tech-Auburn.

Sad to see so many traditions torn down, it this has been the way for a long time. I think it just used to happen sparingly, whereas now it seems like the norm. The outlier today is a move that allows teams to maintain their traditions.

Candidly, I think this may be one reason why Batt told the ACC we were okay if they didn’t keep any of our protected games. Less strategic, more a matter of “showing our state of mind.” If we make a move in conference alignment, it’s possible or likely all those games and opponents will go out the window, anyway. That small move preps the fanbase for understanding “we don’t see any of those games as essential. The only one we see as needing to be maintained is COFH.”
I agree with Tech/Alabama and Tech/Auburn. But that’s because we stopped playing them every year., not because we got out of the SEC. Until we joined the ACC and stopped playing them, it was still a strong rivalry. As long as the games are played, the rivalry continues.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We win consistently over a period of time we will gain rivalries. We quit that years ago because our school did not care and that is the perception of others around the country that we did not care about it as a school. It will take a little time, we just need to stay after it year after year. I've gotten excited when we do have a good year only to see it all go back to nothing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We win consistently over a period of time we will gain rivalries. We quit that years ago because our school did not care and that is the perception of others around the country that we did not care about it as a school. It will take a little time, we just need to stay after it year after year. I've gotten excited when we do have a good year only to see it all go back to nothing.
Agree. Uga has 2 rivals osu and ala.
If deal is cut next décember after w are 8-4 forget the following.

If the deal is cut in a few months , i expect the Charlotte / tabacco road mob to stab us in back like the rich young king does in BRAVEHART. - just before the battle. They are letting fsu Clemson be bad guys then Duke, unc, ncst and maybe uva vt will side against crummy teams.

So with little options besides sue everyone
take a new hopefully short term acc for crummy teams (tier 2) deal
or go
open begging,

what do we do?

(Getting a group to sue espn is not practical. Never sue the client )

I think we will need to go to tier 2 any way we can and then just win our way up.
Go jackets

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Uga has 2 rivals osu and ala.
If deal is cut next décember after w are 8-4 forget the following.

If the deal is cut in a few months , i expect the Charlotte / tabacco road mob to stab us in back like the rich young king does in BRAVEHART. - just before the battle. They are letting fsu Clemson be bad guys then Duke, unc, ncst and maybe uva vt will side against crummy teams.

So with little options besides sue everyone
take a new hopefully short term acc for crummy teams (tier 2) deal
or go
open begging,

what do we do?

(Getting a group to sue espn is not practical. Never sue the client )

I think we will need to go to tier 2 any way we can and then just win our way up.
Go jackets
The rivalries in the ACC are historically based on basketball and not football.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Of uga's 3 other rivals Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee, only Florida has beaten them in the past 5 years, and that was in 2020 prior to that was 2016. Auburn hasn't won since 2017, and Tennessee hasn't won since 2016, same as Tech (technically our win is more recent since it was end of season). None of their rivalries have been competitive in almost a decade.
Yes. Truth.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Tech/Alabama and Tech/Auburn. But that’s because we stopped playing them every year., not because we got out of the SEC. Until we joined the ACC and stopped playing them, it was still a strong rivalry. As long as the games are played, the rivalry continues.
I believe that GT has a better overall record against Bama than any current SEC program does. Our last 6 game series ended at 2-4. That’s not real good, but it’s better than most.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This graph, outside of the changing economics and demographics of Georgia (which is a HUGE plus for GT), is a good illustration of why GT will be welcomed into the B1G. It's not about the last 5 years of Collins's crappiness, it's about the total picture of GT and where our program would be if we "returned to the mean". GT will always be an elite school, but historically we've also been a good to very good sports program.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This graph, outside of the changing economics and demographics of Georgia (which is a HUGE plus for GT), is a good illustration of why GT will be welcomed into the B1G. It's not about the last 5 years of Collins's crappiness, it's about the total picture of GT and where our program would be if we "returned to the mean". GT will always be an elite school, but historically we've also been a good to very good sports program.

That graph also demonstrates why some people have claimed that Louisville was not (and is not) a cultural fit for the ACC. They are the only school below 90 or so in school rankings. In fact, they are about 100 spots below the next lowest school. People have claimed that football strength is the point of having them, but in this all-time ranking they are in the bottom third of the ACC. Maybe people can claim basketball, but Louisville proved that it doesn't take long to fall to the bottom in that sport.

For those claiming WVU would be great for the ACC, they are middle of the conference in all-time football and dead last in academics in P4.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

FSU's Leon County case dismissed - small victory for ACC

1:56 p.m. | Judge Cooper orders amended complaint to be filed, ends hearing​

Judge Cooper has ordered that Florida State's legal team amend its complaint about personal jurisdiction, and notify the Judge when it is filed so he can schedule another hearing "ASAP."

There has been no date given for the next hearing, a date hinges on the filing of Florida State's amended complaint and the schedules of both parties and the courthouse. Judge Cooper again reminds everyone that the case is not over, and circumstances like this are not uncommon.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

FSU's Leon County case dismissed - small victory for ACC

1:56 p.m. | Judge Cooper orders amended complaint to be filed, ends hearing​

Judge Cooper has ordered that Florida State's legal team amend its complaint about personal jurisdiction, and notify the Judge when it is filed so he can schedule another hearing "ASAP."

There has been no date given for the next hearing, a date hinges on the filing of Florida State's amended complaint and the schedules of both parties and the courthouse. Judge Cooper again reminds everyone that the case is not over, and circumstances like this are not uncommon.
Tell me about circumstances that would lead to a judge ordering an amended complaint, please.

Did they “feel out” a strategy in court that wasn’t reflected by their complaint as written? Would ordering an amended complaint be a “roadmap” of sorts to a complaint with actual “teeth” to it? It seems to my uninformed legal mind that the judge is essentially giving them an opportunity to make a better case.

You say it’s a small victory for the ACC… I’m not seeing that… unless of course the judge’s order was along the lines of, “You’ve got nothing here, bless your heart. I’m not going to dismiss today… you get one mulligan..” Even then, it’s just a little egg on their face and they live to fight another day.