Conference Realignment

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting if you read between the lines. UNC has been in play to SEC for a while. UNC to B1G was maybe secondary to UNC to SEC.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You are reading comments by two different people. The upper comments are by Jeffrey Fann who follows the ACC and the bottom comments are by Matt Wadleigh who wrote the article which is mostly about PAC-12, but as several have said it is all opinions.
No, I did note that Matt disagreed with Jeff. However, Matt specifically said that the Big10 would not expand as far South as Atlanta. Matt then says that the Big10 might take FSU and Miami as a pair. Last time I checked Miami is much further South than GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
OU & UT to $ec came out of nowhere. UCLA & USC to BIG10 was out of nowhere. All things being written now are for clicks. If negotiations are going on, no one with knowledge is talking.

100%

All you can do is read the tea leaves. OU and UT were the head of the Big 12. USC and UCLA were the head of the PAC 12.

It's not a coincidence SEC and B1G cut the heads off the respective conferences first. This is all strategic and makes getting other "smaller" targets a lot easier.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No, I did note that Matt disagreed with Jeff. However, Matt specifically said that the Big10 would not expand as far South as Atlanta. Matt then says that the Big10 might take FSU and Miami as a pair. Last time I checked Miami is much further South than GT.

He said "it's hard to see" the B1G expanding this far south (In regards to GT), not that they wouldn't.

His words about FSU-Miami were not B1G specific, just that he thought it more likely than not that the two would end up in the same conference.

"Jeffrey Fann thinks Miami might go to the Big Ten and Florida State might go to the SEC, but I’m of the opinion that Florida State and Miami will go to the same conference. Geographical balance, football prestige, and a natural conference rivalry all make it easier for either ESPN or Fox to include the two schools as part of a bundle."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I mean that statement also ignores the fact that B1G gave GT an invitation to join the last go round.

Lots of conjecture...even by media or so called media that ignores history and data.

A lot of the landscape has changed since 2013...

Also, the article freely admits it's conjecture. It's not presented as having behind the scenes knowledge.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He said "it's hard to see" the B1G expanding this far south (In regards to GT), not that they wouldn't.

His words about FSU-Miami were not B1G specific, just that he thought it more likely than not that the two would end up in the same conference.

"Jeffrey Fann thinks Miami might go to the Big Ten and Florida State might go to the SEC, but I’m of the opinion that Florida State and Miami will go to the same conference. Geographical balance, football prestige, and a natural conference rivalry all make it easier for either ESPN or Fox to include the two schools as part of a bundle."
I made a short reply instead of a better description. He said "It’s hard to see the Big Ten going this far south, having already extended itself to Los Angeles in the West." I take that as saying that he doesn't think the Big10 will expand to the West Coast and then go as far South as Atlanta. He then has the quote that you posted about Miami in which he says that he thinks FSU and Miami will end up in one of the two conferences together. (Big10 or SEC --- ESPN(SEC)-Fox(Big10))

Since my previous post wasn't 100% accurate, let's replace "would not" with "hard to see". If it is "hard to see" the Big10 going as far South as Atlanta, then how is it logically feasible that it isn't "hard to see" the Big10 going as far South as Miami? As I stated before, it reads to me like general fan talk. Say what you think and find some rationalization for it even if you argue one thing for one point and the opposite for another point.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I tended to focus on Jeff's comment that GT was more likely to go the BIG 10 because of a better academic fit. As you pointed out Matt was all over the map (poor pun intended) with his comments about the ACC. He may not know the UGA will likely block any attempt by us to go to SEC.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I tended to focus on Jeff's comment that GT was more likely to go the BIG 10 because of a better academic fit. As you pointed out Matt was all over the map (poor pun intended) with his comments about the ACC. He may not know the UGA will likely block any attempt by us to go to SEC.

At this point im not sure they would. Think about it that would at this point give them a free SEC victory.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The SEC and the B1G can always extend offers and sign agreements with schools that do not take effect until some point in the future and upon the occurrence of certain contingencies. (The SEC did that with Texas and Oklahoma.). Why shouldn’t they fill up their conference slots now, even if some/many schools may not become active members in those conferences for years?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I can’t see UNC leaving without Duke or for that matter SEC basketball. I’m pretty sure VT and UVA are tied at the hip. I’m like you, UVA does not resemble SEC in any fashion.
Those teams can always play out of conf, there is really no reason that they need to remain together, except maybe for Basketball conf championship games btwn duke and unc...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Miami is not a aau school, supposedly the only exception BIG is willing to accept on that is ND

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU doesn't buy as much as it would have 5 years ago. They are in a small market (Tallahassee) and the SEC already has Florida. Miami would make more sense based on the population of South Florida. Though I am sure Florida wouldn't be happy adding either Miami or FSU (or both). In terms of whether the Big Ten wants a South presence, the Southeast is certainly a lot closer than the West Coast. In fact, Atlanta is nearly as close to the Big Ten Schools as NJ or MD. This is all about revenue and whichever schools will add to the payout per team. If it doesn't, I don't see why either the SEC or Big Ten would add additional teams. The West Coast teams still appear to make the most sense for the next moves. Bay Area and Seattle are bigger markets and would allow the Big Ten to form a Western Division. TV rights for every P5 conference other than the ACC will be over/renewed no later than 2025. I would expect all of the movement of those 4 conferences will be decided by then.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
And exactly how is ESPN going to walk away from a contract? They have very little ability to do that unless ACC teams leave on their own (ie reduce the number of teams and change the dynamics). Teams leaving on their own have payout exit fees and forfeit 14 years of TV revenue. Talking 200MM plus and likely far more considering opinions on what SEC or Big Ten TV will get in future years. Of course, ESPN or Fox could agree to fund a school(s) athletic fund the amount they are losing in TV revenue. But that is a big number and I don't see it happening.
If the SEC wants ACC teams then this is how the GOR will be broken. Obviously i have no idea on the details of how this would work legally, but I feel sure espn and the teams that want to leave would coordinate to kill the ACC whenever the SEC is ready for them to do so.