Conference Realignment

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the purpose of the lawsuit was to create "trade space" and FSU is assuming they can push their way through somehow in GOR negotiations to restructure. Why the rest of the ACC would agree to GOR restructure, I have no idea.
I think that they want out, but just don't want to pay the tab. The suit is part of a strategy to annoy ACC into negotiating a lower exit fee. It is sort of an "underpants gnome" strategy tho' - there doesn't seem to be a direct connect between their current actions and their ultimate goal.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yea, it really ticks me off, they blame the ACC for their short-comings, but they haven't exactly dominated the conference in recent times, and now have created all this turmoil. I can't believe I'm saying this, but in a sick kind of way, I hope UGAG buries them. :oops:
Ugh, uga fans will be insufferable if they “bury” FSU.

Likewise the ESPN narrative will have 3 points: 1. Leaving FSU out of the playoffs was proven to be the correct call. 2. Texas should have also been left out and uga put in the playoffs. 3. The SEC is still the dominate conference in the country and the ACC should probably dissolve.

College football is no longer about sportsmanship and good natured rivalries. It is a cutthroat mercenary exercise with a constant propaganda battle.

slugboy

Staff member
I just don't get this, not only FSU but in general. Granted I'm from another era, but for us this would have been unthinkable, we would be excited just for another chance to suit-up and play anyone anywhere !
It might have been 15 years ago or more when players started sitting out bowl games for the NFL draft. There have been players injured recently in bowl games or playoff games who have gone from first round draft picks to not getting drafted at all.

Plus, if you’re not one of “the guys” at your team, you don’t want to lose your shot at musical chairs in the portal

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It might have been 15 years ago or more when players started sitting out bowl games for the NFL draft. There have been players injured recently in bowl games or playoff games who have gone from first round draft picks to not getting drafted at all.

Plus, if you’re not one of “the guys” at your team, you don’t want to lose your shot musical chairs in the portal
Plus the bowls have been changed from a player/fan event into an entirely made for tv entertainment event. 50 years ago bowls were travel opportunities for fans. Players had an opportunity to play on TV, which they probably only had done a couple of times that year. Now every game is on TV every week, so it isn't a unique opportunity. If I remember correctly, the Detroit bowl a few years ago was the day after Christmas. How are fans supposed to get to Detroit the day after Christmas to watch a game? The answer is that the TV people don't care if fans go or not. It is purely TV content.

I don't see it as players quiting on their team. I see it as players who put their own interests ahead of generating revenue for ESPN.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Plus the bowls have been changed from a player/fan event into an entirely made for tv entertainment event. 50 years ago bowls were travel opportunities for fans. Players had an opportunity to play on TV, which they probably only had done a couple of times that year. Now every game is on TV every week, so it isn't a unique opportunity. If I remember correctly, the Detroit bowl a few years ago was the day after Christmas. How are fans supposed to get to Detroit the day after Christmas to watch a game? The answer is that the TV people don't care if fans go or not. It is purely TV content.

I don't see it as players quiting on their team. I see it as players who put their own interests ahead of generating revenue for ESPN.
An additional factor...“Playoff or bust” teams (like FSU, Ohio State, and even uga) that failed to reach their season’s goal may see little point in playing in a relatively meaningless bowl. Next year there will be a larger field of these teams that still have something to play for.

In contrast, although CBK’s goal is to win every game, I believe our realistic season goal was to get to a bowl, and once there, win it. So, most GT players still had a goal in front of them going into our bowl.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Likewise the ESPN narrative will have 3 points: 1. Leaving FSU out of the playoffs was proven to be the correct call. 2. Texas should have also been left out and uga put in the playoffs. 3. The SEC is still the dominate conference in the country and the ACC should probably dissolve.

College football is no longer about sportsmanship and good natured rivalries. It is a cutthroat mercenary exercise with a constant propaganda battle.
Honestly everybody opting out was the only way to combat the narrative. UGA beats FSU, they should’ve been in the playoffs. UGA loses to FSU, they weren’t motivated. But with FSU being a literal third-string team it’s all invalid.

It’s all still a load of BS though. Wish the ACC could fine them or something for misrepresenting the conference.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

I don't see it as players quiting on their team. I see it as players who put their own interests ahead of generating revenue for ESPN.quit on their team to pit their own interests first.
It’s both. Players quit on their team to put their own interests first. Used to be there is no I in team, now it’s there is no team in I.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I dunno...if I was a player who just won 13 games in a row and the CFP Committee snubbed my team, I'd be tempted to sit out, also.

They did everything they were asked to do, and they still got screwed. If not playing kills the ratings, GOOD! Everyone knows what happened to FSU was wrong.

One suggestion I heard on a YouTube channel was that FSU should go through all the motions right up until game time...then walk off the field just before the kickoff on national television.

Have fun explaining that to your advertisers, ESPN.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

Plus, if you’re not one of “the guys” at your team, you don’t want to lose your shot at musical chairs in the portal
IMO, If these players are going to be paid big bucks by the Universities, they should have to sign a contract that has a clause that says baring injury you are obligated to attend and participate in all football program activities, games, practices, meetings, etc.,etc. or this contract is null and void.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

I disagree with this, IMO, its a reflection of FSU not the ACC, the ACC has nothing to do with their players opting out ...

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Ugh, uga fans will be are insufferable if they “bury” FSU.
Praise The Lord Applause GIF

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I will likely watch the first part of the orange bowl out of curiosity only to see how bad it may get. Initially I wanted FSU to win. Now I want to see them get destroyed. Bad news is that it perpetuates the weakness of the ACC.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I will likely watch the first part of the orange bowl out of curiosity only to see how bad it may get. Initially I wanted FSU to win. Now I want to see them get destroyed. Bad news is that it perpetuates the weakness of the ACC.
Not really, the team that plays in the Orange Bowl will have very little in common with the team the competed in the ACC this season ...