Conference Realignment

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, I would prefer B1G to SEC. Fans are better. A ton of away games would be within 5 hours of my house (WI, IA, NW, IL, P, MI ST, MI, IU).
C'mon Forensic, just another 3 or so hours to get to Minneapolis from Iowa City or Madison...heck even over to Lincoln is 3 hours from Iowa City...you're in like flint from where you reside...;)

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not saying that the GOR will definitely keep the ACC together. What I am saying is that is an extreme impediment to a team leaving the ACC. ACC teams do not own the media rights to their athletics. As it stands, if Clemson joins the SEC and wins 10 football national championships in a row, the ACC would get all of the media money from those playoff and championship games. The SEC would get zero.

GOR isn't a simple contract that can be violated. It is more like @slugboy said if you sign over the title of your house to an HOA, the HOA owns your house. If you join a car racing club and everyone in the club signs over the title to their race car, you could leave the club but you couldn't take your car with you. It is a property issue. The ACC owns the media rights and the copyright to all of it's members athletic events. Leaving the ACC isn't the issue. Being able to provide value to someone else is the issue.
I know. But the GOR won’t exist in its current form. That’s where we are talking past each other. I agree that if GT tries to leave by themselves that litigation will follow. But if 4 go to the BIG and 4 go to the SEC and those 8 vote themselves leaders of the race car club don’t you think they’ll change the contract? All I’m saying is 2036 is 14 years from now. Go back 14 years to 2008 and tell me how much has changed. There are no such things as extreme impediments any more. We are in a world now where commitments mean nothing and contracts are simple suggestions while lawyers come to a compromise.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just curious...all of this makes me feel already like supporting GT football any longer is a dead end. There is no statement coming out from the school's leadership which indicates a desire or commitment to continue to compete at a national level. Just...dead silence. It sounds to me like @RamblinRed was spot on and the Administration really could care less about all this.

Is anyone else as depressed about all this as I am?
Yes I'm out the point I don't care about college football

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I know. But the GOR won’t exist in its current form. That’s where we are talking past each other. I agree that if GT tries to leave by themselves that litigation will follow. But if 4 go to the BIG and 4 go to the SEC and those 8 vote themselves leaders of the race car club don’t you think they’ll change the contract? All I’m saying is 2036 is 14 years from now. Go back 14 years to 2008 and tell me how much has changed. There are no such things as extreme impediments any more. We are in a world now where commitments mean nothing and contracts are simple suggestions while lawyers come to a compromise.
I do agree that it is possible that something happens. If the league dissolves, then GOR isn't an issue. I don't know what the language of the current agreement language says. The last one from 2013 or 2014 says that it can only be modified if every current member agrees.
This Agreement may not be modified or amended other than by an agreement in writing signed by duly authorized representatives of the Conference and each of the Member Institutions that are then members of the Conference.
I do agree that commitments don't mean much. However, property contracts still do. If you purchase a car from a dealer, give them a check, and get the title to the car the dealer can come to your house the next day and take the car back. If they get a better offer for the car the next day the can pressure you and try to trick you into giving the car back, but they can't just come and take it. Think about it from the other way around. If Clemson, FSU, and Miami leave for the SEC, will GT agree to simply forgo their media rights? The remaining teams might reach a compromise, but they own the media rights with no legal obligation to turn them over. They will squeeze every drop of blood that they can from the media rights.

There could be some things in the new contract that provide ways to escape. Maybe whoever signed for GT didn't have the authority to sign. Maybe some language in the contract can be argued in court. The big issue though is that GT does not own it's own media rights. GT can't sell something that it doesn't own.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
. Even Kelly Quinlan is reporting on this.

PLEASE DON’T SCREW THIS UP AGAIN!!!!!!!
Mayim Bialik Mirror GIF by CallMeKatFOX
And he is always right ?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Utah, Arizona, Arizona St, and Colorado are meeting with the Big 12 tomorrow. If they bolt, then it will be interesting to see what the remaining schools in the Pac 12 do. If the Big 10 isn't ready to take Washington, Oregon, and Stanford then im not sure what their choices are. Can't really run a 6 team conference.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Just curious...all of this makes me feel already like supporting GT football any longer is a dead end. There is no statement coming out from the school's leadership which indicates a desire or commitment to continue to compete at a national level. Just...dead silence. It sounds to me like @RamblinRed was spot on and the Administration really could care less about all this.

Is anyone else as depressed about all this as I am?
Our Prez's silence is deafening.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
It makes perfect sense for the B1G to grab Notre Dame, GT, UNC, Duke, Virginia, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington and get to 24 teams.

It makes sense for Miami, FSU, Clemson, Va Tech, and NC State to go to the SEC. That's 21 teams so one of them may get left out or more may be added depending on our love for round numbers.

It makes sense for Arizona, ASU, Utah, and Colorado to join the rest of the Big 12 and become the Big 16.

That would leave Cal, Washington State, Oregon State, BC, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Wake Forest possibly begging the Big 12 to become the Big 24.

Notre Dame can get permanent conference opponents from the group of USC, Stanford, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue. Navy is the only game they would need to save for out of conference.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I would prefer the SEC, from a practical drivability from campus basis. Especially for non revenue sports who will have to travel via bus.

That said, the B1G academic and basketball perspective is much more interesting to me sitting in a vacuum.

Still not sure the ACC doesn’t just grab ND and make a play at power3.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I do agree that it is possible that something happens. If the league dissolves, then GOR isn't an issue. I don't know what the language of the current agreement language says. The last one from 2013 or 2014 says that it can only be modified if every current member agrees.

I do agree that commitments don't mean much. However, property contracts still do. If you purchase a car from a dealer, give them a check, and get the title to the car the dealer can come to your house the next day and take the car back. If they get a better offer for the car the next day the can pressure you and try to trick you into giving the car back, but they can't just come and take it. Think about it from the other way around. If Clemson, FSU, and Miami leave for the SEC, will GT agree to simply forgo their media rights? The remaining teams might reach a compromise, but they own the media rights with no legal obligation to turn them over. They will squeeze every drop of blood that they can from the media rights.

There could be some things in the new contract that provide ways to escape. Maybe whoever signed for GT didn't have the authority to sign. Maybe some language in the contract can be argued in court. The big issue though is that GT does not own it's own media rights. GT can't sell something that it doesn't own.
I hear you and don’t disagree if we are talking about right now. But when the car dealership is approached by Car Max to be bought out or say it’s a local Ford Dealership and Ford is bought by Toyota don’t you think all those contracts are now changed? I think we agree, but I just don’t think something signed in Year X will be treated the same in X+whatever especially if parties to that contract want it to change. The money we are talking here isn’t HOA money or a new car money.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I look for
I would prefer the SEC, from a practical drivability from campus basis. Especially for non revenue sports who will have to travel via bus.

That said, the B1G academic and basketball perspective is much more interesting to me sitting in a vacuum.

Still not sure the ACC doesn’t just grab ND and make a play at power3.
I look for ND to say they are going to the Big 10 and the Big 10 to take a few more from the PAC 10. Then I look for the rest of the PAC 10 to join the Big 12. Alwhile the ACC sit and doesn't do anything. Then the SEC will find a way to get Clemson ,NC, and FSU.
After this we see home games with Ga State East Carolina and a few other great game that we can sell 20,000 tickets.