Conference Realignment

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
"We love the ACC. My No. 1 goal is to stay in the ACC. That's my No. 1 goal," McCullough (FSU) - ESPN article.

I ran this through my AI Southern Translator. It replied, "I'd like more of the Carolina sauce for my crow please, it helps it go down better."

FSU can be contacted at the back of the line of anybody needs them.
His number one goal is to stay in the ACC? That's easy enough. His two choices are like it or lump it. I guess he decided he may as well like it.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
"We love the ACC. My No. 1 goal is to stay in the ACC. That's my No. 1 goal," McCullough (FSU) - ESPN article.
Both the F$U prez and AD are new to their jobs. I think the entire recent dust-up is just the two of them trying to mollify a restive fan base. They can't take any real action, so the best alternative is to make noise....

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
His number one goal is to stay in the ACC? That's easy enough. His two choices are like it or lump it. I guess he decided he may as well like it.
Well, to their credit(Lord help me for appearing to defend F$U), they did tell ND to "put up or shut up" over the Stanford/Cal scenario. May have been more cheap talk tho' as nobody thought ND would go for it....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Those that sit out have a big payday coming. The NIL $$ at that point is insignificant. If the player gets hurt in the game, the payday may go away. That's why so many opt-out. It will be interesting because these aren't just exhibition games anymore.
They may have a big payday coming. They will definitely forego the NIL money and why not? In a recent case, a QB signed an NIL deal and then changed schools and so the firm bankrolling his NIL deal is getting nothing for it as he's 3,000 miles from the target market.

There will have to be some kind of rules in place, I would think.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Well, to their credit(Lord help me for appearing to defend F$U), they did tell ND to "put up or shut up" over the Stanford/Cal scenario. May have been more cheap talk tho' as nobody thought ND would go for it...
ND is contractually obligated to the ACC, with the big if.... I think the controlling number is NDs next TV offer. If we can beat it, they are ACC bound. In the meantime, I do agree with the FSU callout.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Short answer, yes.
I think we are going to be competitive with our peer group, wherever that is. I think we will have more winning records than not, and find ourselves in bowls more often than not. Championships will be hard to come by, but they’re pretty hard to come by now.
In our case, I see a BIG or SEC move as opening the door to a larger pool of potential players and obviously a larger pool of cash. I recognize that our peers also have that cash but I believe we can compete on a mostly level field.
Conversely, if we combine all of our known hurdles (smallish enrollment, actual academics, small fan base) with being relegated to a “non-power” conference (actually or in perception) and tens of millions in additional budget disadvantages, I don’t see us competing with other programs that we currently consider peers / rivals.
Since joining the Big10, Maryland is 45-60 with a wpt of 0.428. They appeared in four bowl games, winning two. Rutgers is 33-74 with a wpt of .308 and appeared in 2 bowls, winning one.

Joining the Big is no assurance of a return to competitiveness.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the controlling number is NDs next TV offer. If we can beat it, they are ACC bound.
I think possibly the most interesting upcoming scenario is ESPN vs NBC. If NBC really is balking at ND's ask, that will give ESPN an opening to put a feather in their cap and solidify the ACC for the foreseeable future. Not sure is ESPN has the cash tho'....

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think possibly the most interesting upcoming scenario is ESPN vs NBC. If NBC really is balking at ND's ask, that will give ESPN an opening to put a feather in their cap and solidify the ACC for the foreseeable future. Not sure is ESPN has the cash tho'....

I would think that the finances could be worked if ND was the target as they will definitely increase viewership.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Just to confirm. Since F$U didn’t announce an intention to leave they will shut the f up for 11 months?
The school president/AD/BOR I don't know. The forum posters and Twitter people changed the story this week. On Monday they were saying that Tuesday would let everyone know if FSU was leaving for the Big10 or the SEC. Their story was that the SEC has already offered a huge contract to start in 2025, and the only thing that the deadline would prove is whether the Big10 had matched or passed that number for the 2024 season. Their spin -- A declaration of leaving means that FSU is going to the Big10 in 2024. --- No declaration means that FSU is going to the SEC in 2025. They knew that their predictions of FSU leaving this year weren't going to happen, so they tried to make it look like their prediction being wrong actually means that their prediction is correct.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, to their credit(Lord help me for appearing to defend F$U), they did tell ND to "put up or shut up" over the Stanford/Cal scenario. May have been more cheap talk tho' as nobody thought ND would go for it....
Well, I'm glad they did that. The worst scenario would be to bring in Stanford, Cal, and maybe even Navy to lure them in and ND still hang us out to dry, twisting in the wind.
There's no reason for any ACC expansion at this point that doesn't include ND full membership.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Since joining the Big10, Maryland is 45-60 with a wpt of 0.428. They appeared in four bowl games, winning two. Rutgers is 33-74 with a wpt of .308 and appeared in 2 bowls, winning one.

And in the last ten years of their time in the ACC, Maryland had 4 winning seasons and played in five bowl games. If they go bowling this year, their first ten years of BIG football are right in line with their last ten years of ACC football.

Rutgers looks just like the Rutgers teams that competed in a stable Big East.

A better case could be made for Nebraska, but they have some other dynamics working against them.

Regardless, I still believe (I never gave assurance) that we would be competitive.

The assurance I WILL give is that GT competing in a depleted ACC or “non-power” conference with even further funding disadvantages is no longer going to be competitive with schools we currently consider peers. In that scenario, we probably aren’t playing those former peers anyway, so....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And in the last ten years of their time in the ACC, Maryland had 4 winning seasons and played in five bowl games. If they go bowling this year, their first ten years of BIG football are right in line with their last ten years of ACC football.

Rutgers looks just like the Rutgers teams that competed in a stable Big East.

A better case could be made for Nebraska, but they have some other dynamics working against them.

Regardless, I still believe (I never gave assurance) that we would be competitive.

The assurance I WILL give is that GT competing in a depleted ACC or “non-power” conference with even further funding disadvantages is no longer going to be competitive with schools we currently consider peers. In that scenario, we probably aren’t playing those former peers anyway, so....
And yet, Army ... which is not part of ANY conference nor has any major funding advantages, had a better record than both ... 60-41 for a wpt of 0.594.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
And yet, Army ... which is not part of ANY conference nor has any major funding advantages, had a better record than both ... 60-41 for a wpt of 0.594.
i could probably throw some Indiana Hoosiers football records at you to prove or disprove something... not sure what.
Perhaps it proves largely that you are what you are.... er... you are what you emphasize.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

It's not like Maryland and Rutgers were doing well before going to the B1G move. There's actually an article by the Athletic that talks about the Rutgers situation since they joined the B1G. Not very flattering.

If you're a terribly run program, you'll continue to be a terribly run program despite how much more money you're making. Anyone think GT would have been better off with $60 million and Stansbury and Collins heading our program? Money just gives you a better chance...it's what you do with that extra money that matters.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
i could probably throw some Indiana Hoosiers football records at you to prove or disprove something... not sure what.
Perhaps it proves largely that you are what you are.... er... you are what you emphasize.
I have no idea what you mean. My point remains the same ... at this point in GT's football history, being competitive is far more difficult than simply joining another conference. This in my opinion only, but without scheme advantage, it will be very, very challenging. I would like to see it, but let's see what Key does.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what you mean. My point remains the same ... at this point in GT's football history, being competitive is far more difficult than simply joining another conference. This in my opinion only, but without scheme advantage, it will be very, very challenging. I would like to see it, but let's see what Key does.
Agree completely. I think we’ve talked past one another. My point, in response to the question, “would we be competitive in the BIG or SEC,” was yes, I THINK we would be.

like yours, its my opinion, not an assurance.

I foresee, again just my opinion, college football moving toward further hierarchy within FBS (or CFP or whatever) and if GT finds itself outside of the highest division, I DONT think we can compete with schools that are currently our annual rivals. In that regard, I’m making the assumption that UGA, Clemson, FSU, UNC, even Miami, UVA and VT find themselves in a higher division than we do.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Just off the top of your head what do you think MD's net revenue gain has been since joining the BIG? IDK.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree completely. I think we’ve talked past one another. My point, in response to the question, “would we be competitive in the BIG or SEC,” was yes, I THINK we would be.

like yours, its my opinion, not an assurance.

I foresee, again just my opinion, college football moving toward further hierarchy within FBS (or CFP or whatever) and if GT finds itself outside of the highest division, I DONT think we can compete with schools that are currently our annual rivals. In that regard, I’m making the assumption that UGA, Clemson, FSU, UNC, even Miami, UVA and VT find themselves in a higher division than we do.
I think this is the crux of the discussion.

If GT was relegated to a 'non' power conference it would clearly not be able to compete with its current rivals who are in a 'power' conference.
But at that point they are no longer a rival.
Your rivals are the teams you play consistently (and in particular are in your same conference).

I don't think GT moving to the B1G would make it any more 'competitive' against its rivals because now it has different rivals than it did before.

It's all just sort of a semantics of what tier you are in and who you consider rivals.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
I think this is the crux of the discussion.

If GT was relegated to a 'non' power conference it would clearly not be able to compete with its current rivals who are in a 'power' conference.
But at that point they are no longer a rival.
Your rivals are the teams you play consistently (and in particular are in your same conference).

I don't think GT moving to the B1G would make it any more 'competitive' against its rivals because now it has different rivals than it did before.

It's all just sort of a semantics of what tier you are in and who you consider rivals.
Moving to the BIG if we were able to leverage the additional money might make us more competitive with UGA. Not a level playing field but more competitive.