Commits that signed elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure if this needs to be in the recruiting section but I thought it would be interesting to look at guys who were "committed" to Tech in PJ era and ended up decommitting and signing elsewhere. I hope no ones feelings get hurt over this. I'll start with the two obvious ones.

Tre Jackson, OL at FSU. One of the top OL in the country. Flipped late. Stephon Tuitt, DE at ND, 2nd round draft pick.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Off the top of my head..I know I am missing a few.

OL - Tre Jackson - FSU
DE - Tuitt - ND
DE - Trey Flowers - Arkansas...has been really good
RB - B Douglas - uga
DB - Tolando Cleveland - Miss St
LB/DE - Junior Gnonkonde - UNC
RB - Caleb Kinlaw - Wisconsin
QB - Nick Marshall - UGA (silent commit)
QB - Dontae Aycock - Auburn (silent commit)
DB - Miles Taylor - Iowa
LB - Chaun Gresham - South Carolina
OL - Kyle Harris - South Carolina
OL - Jeremi Hall - USF
QB - Damon Mitchell - Arkansas
WR - JuMichael Ramons - Nc State
LB - Nigel Bowden - Vanderbilt
OL - Will Adams - Auburn
DB - Antonio Crawford - Miami

Last edited:

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Antonio Crawford, the DB from Plant HS in Tampa, was another one that flipped when he got the offer he wanted the U.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Eric, great idea to track the flipped commits away.
Could show the % that made nfl was not that great.

Also, as an idea- do we ever get flips to us and from whom? Ever from SEC?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Who was the defensive lineman who was one our biggest names a couple of years ago but Nick Saban came in and turned his head at the last minute? Has he played any for Bama yet?

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Who was the defensive lineman who was one our biggest names a couple of years ago but Nick Saban came in and turned his head at the last minute? Has he played any for Bama yet?
That would be Dalvin Tomlinson. He was never actually committed to us but we were thought to be the favorite for a while. I think he seen a little PT this post season but he has been injured most of the time he has been at Bama.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
You're probably thinking of Dalvin Tomlinson. He injured himself playing soccer before school started and he's since injured his knee in practice. He played in the first game of the season last year and had four tackles against VPISU.

http://m.rolltide.com/m/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dalvin_tomlinson_811302.html

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/09/alabama_de_dalvin_tomlinson_in.html

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks Eric. Would've been nice to get a few of those guys. Man, just think what a difference a few of those guys would've made. Jackson on the OL, Tuitt and Flowers on the DL.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think that list of players who were once commits will follow what happens with recruiting classes in general: About 30-40%% of them will probably end up being major contributors, the rest will play small roles throughout their careers or will be victim to attrition or injury.

As a fan of recruiting, especially the kids that sign with us, it's easy to look at film and think every single one of our signees will be a major contributor to the program. History will show that usually 30-40% of the kids that sign with a program will ever contribute to a program at an impact level. You look at a program like GT with high academic requirements, and that 30-40% "success" rate is actually quite high because of the kids we lose to academics, on top of injuries, kids transferring out for various reasons, kids getting into trouble, and kids just not developing like we all hoped. Eric has mentioned it several times, but that 2013 class that was small to begin with and became smaller due to various reasons will hurt us down the road...and that's if the guys left pan out.

The reality of recruiting is it's a numbers game. You sign as many kids as you possibly can because the reality is only a small portion of each class will ever contribute at an impact level for the program.

thwgjacket

Eric, great idea to track the flipped commits away.
Could show the % that made nfl was not that great.

Also, as an idea- do we ever get flips to us and from whom? Ever from SEC?
Justin Thomas-Alabama
Paul Davis-Temple
I think we've had one or two from Kentucky flip to us.

Damon Mitchell went to Arkansas bc he didn't want to compete with Vad and Justin and thought he could play QB early. Got moved to WR first day of practice lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.