Combine?

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Remember 2 years ago against UGA? Robbie went airborne twice against 2 NFL players (Jarvis Jones and Ogletree). Not sure he's making plays on every level. Small and slow is a horrible combo.
He beat out alot of guys bigger and faster than him to earn a starting job. Also easily the best AB if not best player on the offense. Had you seen his measurables 5 years ago when he went to walkon you prob wouldnt have wanted him to get that chance either

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
He beat out alot of guys bigger and faster than him to earn a starting job. Also easily the best AB if not best player on the offense. Had you seen his measurables 5 years ago when he went to walkon you prob wouldnt have wanted him to get that chance either
Don't get offended. I'm not bashing Robbie just proving a different perspective.

1. No A-back has been drafted. Orwin had the measurables and didn't drafted. Roddy was bigger and faster and not drafted.
2. There are not a lot of small RBs in the NFL. Most of those small guys are pretty speedy. Robbie's best chance is to impress on the hand-timed 40 at the Pro Day.
3. Regardless of what a wife or GF will say, size matters.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Robbie's stats from that game

6 carries -44 yards
5 receptions - 66 yards
Good stats. Unfortunately, I watched the game.

Also, the NFL doesn't respect our A-back rushing stats. Very little of our A-backs responsibilities relate to the NFL. A good case study for future A-backs will be Deanthony Thomas. He has the same problem. The big difference is that he will likely run a 4.3 and some team will fall in love.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don't get offended. I'm not bashing Robbie just proving a different perspective.

1. No A-back has been drafted. Orwin had the measurables and didn't drafted. Roddy was bigger and faster and not drafted.
2. There are not a lot of small RBs in the NFL. Most of those small guys are pretty speedy. Robbie's best chance is to impress on the hand-timed 40 at the Pro Day.
3. Regardless of what a wife or GF will say, size matters.
Orwin did not get drafted due to injury. However, when he was well enough, he was picked up by the Packers.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Orwin did not get drafted due to injury. However, when he was well enough, he was picked up by the Packers.
We do not know why he didn't get drafted. We only know that he wasn't drafted. BTW. I mentioned that free agency is Robbie's best chance. No one is drafting Robbie.

BTW. The Falcons drafted an injured QB (Sean Renfree) that was on IR all year in the 7th round.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Robbie's ability to catch the ball and operate in space might lead him to being an UDFA, a lot teams could be looking to use him like a sproles or danny woodhead type of player, 3rd down back who can run out and catch passes. He can also break tackles because of his compact build, he's short but he's thickly built. I really hope he makes it, he is one guy who deserves it.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Good stats. Unfortunately, I watched the game.

Also, the NFL doesn't respect our A-back rushing stats. Very little of our A-backs responsibilities relate to the NFL. A good case study for future A-backs will be Deanthony Thomas. He has the same problem. The big difference is that he will likely run a 4.3 and some team will fall in love.

Well then you watched him get 110 yards.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Well then you watched him get 110 yards.

Come on, you can get 310 yards and 3 TDs, but that doesn't mean it translates to the NFL. I watched Tevin get the most rushing TDs by a QB in the history of the ACC but that doesn't mean anyone thought of him as an NFL player. College stats don't predict NFL success!

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Come on, you can get 310 yards and 3 TDs, but that doesn't mean it translates to the NFL. I watched Tevin get the most rushing TDs by a QB in the history of the ACC but that doesn't mean anyone thought of him as an NFL player. College stats don't predict NFL success!

Neither do measurables.
What does predict NFL success? If people were better at knowing that, the NFL draft wouldn't be such a crapshoot.
I'd guess that the Draft looks a lot like college football recruiting - a pretty healthy chunk of Pro Bowlers/All-Pro's were 1st rounders, a decent amount 2nd rounders, followed by a random mishmash of 3rd-UDFA guys.

Personally, I don't think Robbie will get drafted. But I think that's less because of his skill and more a result of certain biases; the same biases that made him a walk-on despite his obvious ability.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We do not know why he didn't get drafted. We only know that he wasn't drafted. BTW. I mentioned that free agency is Robbie's best chance. No one is drafting Robbie.

BTW. The Falcons drafted an injured QB (Sean Renfree) that was on IR all year in the 7th round.
Orwin's agent knows why he wasn't drafted. Why don't you ask him.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Neither do measurables.
What does predict NFL success? If people were better at knowing that, the NFL draft wouldn't be such a crapshoot.
I'd guess that the Draft looks a lot like college football recruiting - a pretty healthy chunk of Pro Bowlers/All-Pro's were 1st rounders, a decent amount 2nd rounders, followed by a random mishmash of 3rd-UDFA guys.

Personally, I don't think Robbie will get drafted. But I think that's less because of his skill and more a result of certain biases; the same biases that made him a walk-on despite his obvious ability.

I agree, and that's part of my point. There isn't an exact science for picking who will be great on the next level. So to insinuate that because he got 110 yards against UGA, (even if they did have NFL talent on their defense), he will be effective in the NFL, doesn't make sense. I love RG and hope he makes it in the league. Regardless, I'm willing to bet that that NFL teams won't look at RG's stats against UGA as a measuring stick for NFL potential. The biases against him also increased because he's probably viewed as a "system" player in an offense that doesn't get used in the league. That isn't me taking a shot at our offense (I like our offense), it's just what the NFL guys are likely thinking.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

It sure doesnt.

But here is the original quote ..."Remember 2 years ago against UGA? Robbie went airborne twice against 2 NFL players (Jarvis Jones and Ogletree). Not sure he's making plays on every level. Small and slow is a horrible combo."

He went airborne against two UGA players? If you're going to count that against him then why not count the 110 yards for him?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
It sure doesnt.

But here is the original quote ..."Remember 2 years ago against UGA? Robbie went airborne twice against 2 NFL players (Jarvis Jones and Ogletree). Not sure he's making plays on every level. Small and slow is a horrible combo."

He went airborne against two UGA players? If you're going to count that against him then why not count the 110 yards for him?

NFL scouts look at that game and see that he got thrown around, 1 on 1, twice against NFL- quality players. Now I'm not diminishing his performance, but his yards were partly a product of the scheme (just as Tevin's were), which he will not be playing in ever again. But he will have to go 1 on 1 against NFL players again if he makes it.

So I think that's why they can glance over the 110 yards and instead see what happens when he's in a situation that would be duplicated in an NFL game (going 1 on 1 with Jones/Ogletree). The 110 yards were partly a result of an offense that isn't used in the NFL. Just my opinion.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
NFL scouts look at that game and see that he got thrown around, 1 on 1, twice against NFL- quality players. Now I'm not diminishing his performance, but his yards were partly a product of the scheme (just as Tevin's were), which he will not be playing in ever again. But he will have to go 1 on 1 against NFL players again if he makes it.

So I think that's why they can glance over the 110 yards and instead see what happens when he's in a situation that would be duplicated in an NFL game (going 1 on 1 with Jones/Ogletree). The 110 yards were partly a result of an offense that isn't used in the NFL. Just my opinion.

I think its best just for us to disagree on this subject (y)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Neither do measurables.
i

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm way less concerned with how our players skills translate to the NFL than I am how they translate to our team.

Guys who translated well to the NFL were usually stud players for our team. Megatron, BeyBey, Dwyer, Morgan Burnett, Andrew Gardner, Philip Wheeler, Derrick Morgan, Tashard Choice, etc.

It doesn't have to be either/or. You can have your cake and eat it too in that regard. One of the big reasons recruiting was building momentum towards the end of Gailey's tenure was because he had a proven track record of developing and putting guys into the NFL. I would say the ability to develop and put guys into the NFL is just as important as winning when it comes to recruiting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Godhigh can play on the next level. It's like a job anywhere...it's more about whether or not someone will give him the opportunity.

He's played against some NFL laden defenses and totally dominated. As a runner, a pass catcher, and as a blocker. If he's not a regular rotation guy, he'll definitely make the team better on the practice squad because he such a great player with a great motor that he'll "raise all boats" in practice. Odds are tough for him to get drafted, but I'd be extremely surprised if someone doesn't sign him as a free agent.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm way less concerned with how our players skills translate to the NFL than I am how they translate to our team.

I'm more concerned about our team too. The NFL is entertainment and whoever helps win games AND excites the fans will make the team.

But after seeing our team do well, I'm concerned about our players doing well in the NFL to help our recruiting. Again, the end concern for me is our team and not the NFL. I am probably equally concerned that all our players graduate and get real jobs (NFL or not) because that is one of the big reasons to go to GT -- get a job.